Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Tyre Change need to change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello after a puncture the only replacement i could get in a hurry was a Michelln Pilot Sport 3 the rest of the car has Pilot Sport 4. The guy who fitted it said the only difference was some road noise dampening and i cant say i have notice a difference so far or heard a lot of noise (only short runs though) does anyone think i have any need to change this tyre which was fitted in an emergency?

The PS4 comes in a Tesla T0 variant, which is not the same specs (weight, width, features like dampening foam) as same marked size in non T0 variant.

The PS3 is not available in T0 variant.

So the 2 tires on 1 axle might have different characteristics. I would not like to run it long term like that

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Thanks that's useful. I would certainly change it before a really long journey but according to tyre guy the only meaningful difference is the foam (which he showed me and was nothing remarkable) i guess i am hoping for short journeys around town it might be OK for a couple of months. I could maybe then relegate the pilot 3 to emergency spare again

Thanks that's useful. I would certainly change it before a really long journey but according to tyre guy the only meaningful difference is the foam (which he showed me and was nothing remarkable) i guess i am hoping for short journeys around town it might be OK for a couple of months. I could maybe then relegate the pilot 3 to emergency spare again

if you get same marked size, rolling diameter should be the same, if not very very similar within tolerance, as if one tire pressured different from other

the question is what exact tire did you get? michelin uk does not have PS3 in oem size of 235/45/18, unless possibly you received very old stock. (there is tire manufacturing date on the sidewall.)

there is however a 20" variant of the ps3 to size match the tesla oem 20" PS4S

the sound foam affects the weight of the tire. the other notable different on the t0 tires is narrower tread width. anyway for short town journeys it should be fine.

You won’t hurt anything. The slight differences between tires could make an extremely small difference with handling, and they are unlikely to wear the same because one is much newer than the other. But they are close enough that handling should be fine, so I would only replace the other three if they are seriously worn.

But if all four have plenty of tread left, why spend the money? Pretty unlikely you would ever notice the difference behind the wheel.

Thank you everybody i have standard non tesla pilot sport 3 of correct sizes, i think my interpretation of all the above is a) its not ideal but not disastrous b) should be ok whilst its small journeys in an unladen car (pretty much just me in it with lockdown heading to local supermarkets ) but that next time i need to change another tyre ill also change it for the proper one unless i am planning a long journey (if i can - north to south Spain in July)

Thank you everybody i have standard non tesla pilot sport 3 of correct sizes, i think my interpretation of all the above is a) its not ideal but not disastrous b) should be ok whilst its small journeys in an unladen car (pretty much just me in it with lockdown heading to local supermarkets ) but that next time i need to change another tyre ill also change it for the proper one unless i am planning a long journey (if i can - north to south Spain in July)

Right conclusion, but you're still overstating the impact.

The tire doesn't care about short trips or how many people are in the car. It carries the correct weight rating, so you're perfectly safe. The ONLY possible consequence is a small difference in handling at the limit, and one tire wearing differently than the other three.

That's it. Enjoy your car. :)

Just a tip for next time...

Get yourself a good ti(y)re plug kit, some side cutters, pliers, a tube of rubber cement, and a 12v air compressor. Watch a few YouTube videos on how to plug ti(y)res, and save yourself the time, hassle, and expense.