TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

EMF (Eletromagnetic field) in Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'Belgium and the Netherlands' started by Geoffrey Crespin, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Geoffrey Crespin

Sep 2, 2013
    Hello all,

Some concerns have been raised about possible effect of the electromagnetic field in EV (or hybrid).
    I'm driving a Model S since one week (what a fantastic car, probably the best !) and together with a colleague, we did some tests.

Our questions were:

1- what is the maximum value of the Electromagnetic field (EMF) when the car is parked?
    2- what is the maximum value of the Electromagnetic field (EMF) when we press the pedal?
    3- is there a big difference with conventional car?

Here is the situation:

- A Tesla Model S (2014), 85 KW, Tech Package, Pano, Black Leather,Sunroof.
    - Measurement devices: Gigahertz-solutions NFA1000 + Gigahertz-solutions NF59B+ filter FF6

Test findings:

To conduct our tests, we used a EMF meter from Gigahertz Solutions.

1nT = 1 x 10-9 T

1- Maximum value when the car is ON and parked: 20 nT
    2- Maximum value during acceleration: 800 nT
    3- Difference with conventional car: I found some test findings on the internet.

Examples: 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman: 300 nT
    2008 Chevrolet Cobalt: 3000 nT
    In the most terrible: BMW 5 : 7000 nT

Conclusion: The test is very basic and I'm sure I can do much more on this.
    We can imagine several other scenarii and put this in a technical report.
    At this first stage, I found no evidence that Tesla Model S exposes the people inside to significantly more EMF than do conventional car.
    In some case, it's the opposite. The Model S is very well shielded (for many reasons).

By the way, pleae note that like most modern cars, WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G are very active...but it's a different subject.

Thanks to Tesla engineers !

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Feb 6, 2011
    Columbia River Gorge
    Just searching on titles only in Model S (plenty in the Roadster forum): EMF Radiation

There is also plenty of discussion in various threads.

Good to see some definitive measures against existing ICE vehicles. I'll bookmark this thread and use it when the question comes up (and it always comes up again) in the main forum.