TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EMF Radiation

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Ben W, Feb 27, 2009.

1. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Haha. We did get a large blue turn out at this weekend's event.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

:eek: A Canadian Roadster could be in real trouble if you parked up there... you can't start the car unless you hit the unlock button first (immobilizer).

(I've actually had a little bit of trouble with that in a particular spot in Toronto.)

3. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

electromagnetic radiation - Cancer Risk

To start out I am getting the car and am even on the signature waiting list. I was wondering if anyone has asked Tesla about electromagnetic radiation issues? Sitting on top of 85 KW of battery every day is a new thing. I know the issue is controversial and unproven. I guess I just wanted everyone's thoughts and if anyone has asked about it. Thanks.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My opinion is that if you are concerned about EMF, then your house wiring is far more likely to be a problem that a car. You're around house wiring at home or at work almost 24 hours a day. Right now there is no good science that shows EMF to be a problem and my opinion is that there isn't likely to be any in the future. My doctor put it this way: If you smoke there is no point in being concerned about any other health issue. If you don't smoke then overweight and/or drinking are your health concerns.

EMF is so far down the scale that it doesn't register. Millions of people sat in front of CRT screens for years with no ill effects (there was one Swedish study that said there were effects, but it turned out to be very flawed). Here is a good source of information on the effects of EMF.

5. spleen

spleen Active Member

+1 to what jerry said here as somebody in the medical field

6. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Remember 20 or so years ago and there were big stories in the news about concerns for people who live under high voltage power lines? Concerns about risk, etc.

Here we are, 20 years later, and still no connections. I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

8. jerry33

Sorry Doug.

9. johngray

johngray Member

The batteies are DC. They don't emit EMF radiation, that requires AC or switching circuits.

The EMF in a Model S is going to come from the power conversion circuits and the engine - both in the rear and surrounded by metal.

And of cousre the two LCD displays but that's no different than your computer monitor or iPad.

10. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

Thanks for responses. I did not know it was a covered topic. Like I said, I could not be more excited for the car.

11. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Merged.

12. GoPatriots19

GoPatriots19 Member

Batter/Magnetic field, personal concern

Hi everyone, I'm looking into putting down a deposit for my wife for the Model S, and I was searching for info on whether or not having such a large battery under the seats could cause any long term health problems. My main concern is the large magnetic field working under or so close to the body. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!

13. doug

To the best of my knowledge (physics guy who's spent a lot of time around superconducting magnets) there is no reason to be concerned. Also the only reasonable source for a magnetic field in the car is the motor, that that field is rather confined for high efficiency.

14. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

The battery doesn't generate any significant fields. The motor does, but it's further away, and there is no known effect from it. No problem.

15. jerry33

If you go back and read through this thread, I think you'll see that EMF is just not a concern.

16. doug

It was a new thread that I merged with the existing one.

17. jerry33

I didn't realize the date changed when you merged threads (thought it would keep the original date).

18. GoPatriots19

GoPatriots19 Member

Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys! Great information in this thread. I can now put down my deposit with a clear conscience!

19. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Just as a little reference, I put my MacBook Pro up against the side of the roadster's trunk that is closest to the motor and had no problems after.

20. doug

??