Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as no one makes fun of me for having an emf reader, I will report that I took a ride with my performance S, burned rubber, and never saw any reaction from the reader. In front and back seats it stayed under 1 mg. Held it low near feet, nothing. By comparison if I hold same device near back of my refrigerator I get reading of 150 mg. all around my house the ambient readings are around 1 mg. the reader was set to range of 1-200mg.

How refreshing to have a "I checked this and it's OK!" post as opposed to a panic-y "OMG were all gonna die!" post.

When "we" checked the Roadster back then the experts here talked about two quality levels of meters. The car passed both but I'm wondering which you have? The super sensitive one or the more consumer-y version?

How refreshing to have a "I checked this and it's OK!" post as opposed to a panic-y "OMG were all gonna die!" post.

When "we" checked the Roadster back then the experts here talked about two quality levels of meters. The car passed both but I'm wondering which you have? The super sensitive one or the more consumer-y version?

Sorry for late reply...I probably have consumery version, but got the fanciest I could easily find on Internet. 200 bucks or so. Will post model number...

- - - Updated - - -

"OMG, we're all gonna die!"

Ok, wait, so you ARE making fun of me for having an EMF reader? Rats.

Ok, wait, so you ARE making fun of me for having an EMF reader? Rats.
Better than a PKE meter.

egon-pke-meter.jpg

As long as no one makes fun of me for having an emf reader, I will report that I took a ride with my performance S, burned rubber, and never saw any reaction from the reader. In front and back seats it stayed under 1 mg. Held it low near feet, nothing. By comparison if I hold same device near back of my refrigerator I get reading of 150 mg. all around my house the ambient readings are around 1 mg. the reader was set to range of 1-200mg.

Which physical entity does the unit mg relate to? Something tells me it's not milligrams... Is it Gausse? Or in this case milligausse?

It interesting the responses from this thread.

* "Anyone worried about EMF is a nut" (or worse, "a whacko").
* "It's never affected me."
* "I got an EMF meter from Amazon (or fill in the blank), and I can't find any dangerous EMF".

Maybe I was expecting too much, but I was hoping for something more scientific, with actual professionally obtained data.

Michael

* "I got an EMF meter from Amazon (or fill in the blank), and I can't find any dangerous EMF".

Maybe I was expecting too much, but I was hoping for something more scientific, with actual professionally obtained data.

Michael

Timeout over for me. At least for this post.

Seriously? If you want to pay the fee for a NRTL, I'm happy to take my Roadster over and get the testing done so you have scientific 'actual professionally obtained data'. Otherwise, you're going to have to make do with data obtained by actual engineers and physicists using calibrated actual equipment they're qualified to use.

-walks off mumbling something about 'maybe I was expecting too much' -

There were some qualified equipment owners and operators of professional gear (not from Sharper Image) who tested their cars (a lot of tech business owners own Teslas) and found the Roadster output to be negligible at all speeds. Don't let the other voices drown them out.

Consumer Reports conventional vs hybrid tests:

Mythbuster: EMF levels in hybrids

As an aside, and not particularly related to anyone / anything here, but: Why is it ok to allege something without any scientific basis, but unacceptable to respond with anything less than a triple blind study?

Thanks for link.

As far as your second question, I think I will chaulk it up to "human nature". I see both sides doing this. I will say, though, as time goes on and knowledge increases, many things that were considered "safe" turn out to be not so safe.

Michael

Like breathing raw and burned gasoline fumes(the alternative)?

Yep, there is good theoretical and experimental evidence that inhaling gasoline fumes is dangerous (carcinogenic in fact). There is no theoretical evidence and no credible experimental evidence that weak magnetic fields are hazardous. People are just afraid of things they can't see. I can smell gas so I KNOW I'm being contaminated by benzine and other carcinogens... somehow that's okay.

Michael

The problem is that EMF radiation has been debunked so many times over the past twenty years that folks get tired of explaining it. You get more EMF radiation from your house wiring than you ever will from any car.