TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EMF Radiation

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Ben W, Feb 27, 2009.

1. HawaNY

HawaNY Member

As long as no one makes fun of me for having an emf reader, I will report that I took a ride with my performance S, burned rubber, and never saw any reaction from the reader. In front and back seats it stayed under 1 mg. Held it low near feet, nothing. By comparison if I hold same device near back of my refrigerator I get reading of 150 mg. all around my house the ambient readings are around 1 mg. the reader was set to range of 1-200mg.

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Thanks for sharing real data (vs. wild speculation!). Well done!

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

How refreshing to have a "I checked this and it's OK!" post as opposed to a panic-y "OMG were all gonna die!" post.

When "we" checked the Roadster back then the experts here talked about two quality levels of meters. The car passed both but I'm wondering which you have? The super sensitive one or the more consumer-y version?

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"OMG, we're all gonna die!"

5. HawaNY

HawaNY Member

Sorry for late reply...I probably have consumery version, but got the fanciest I could easily find on Internet. 200 bucks or so. Will post model number...

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, wait, so you ARE making fun of me for having an EMF reader? Rats.

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Better than a PKE meter.

egon-pke-meter.jpg

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Nah, I'm just "unsatisfying" vfx's "request".

8. HawaNY

HawaNY Member

That looks exactly like me. Uncanny.

My meter is Lutron EMF-832...

9. JonWorrel

JonWorrel New Member

Have you ever tested for radiation emitting from the 19-inch LCD display during 3G data transmission? I would be curious.

10. Johan

Johan Funds for M3 secured. Contingent on wife aproval.

Which physical entity does the unit mg relate to? Something tells me it's not milligrams... Is it Gausse? Or in this case milligausse?

11. Michael2000

Michael2000 Member

It interesting the responses from this thread.

* "Anyone worried about EMF is a nut" (or worse, "a whacko").
    * "It's never affected me."
    * "I got an EMF meter from Amazon (or fill in the blank), and I can't find any dangerous EMF".

Maybe I was expecting too much, but I was hoping for something more scientific, with actual professionally obtained data.

Michael

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Timeout over for me. At least for this post.

Seriously? If you want to pay the fee for a NRTL, I'm happy to take my Roadster over and get the testing done so you have scientific 'actual professionally obtained data'. Otherwise, you're going to have to make do with data obtained by actual engineers and physicists using calibrated actual equipment they're qualified to use.

-walks off mumbling something about 'maybe I was expecting too much' -

13. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly someone on this forum measured it and found their referigerator put out more EMF radiation, neither of which was dangerous.

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

There were some qualified equipment owners and operators of professional gear (not from Sharper Image) who tested their cars (a lot of tech business owners own Teslas) and found the Roadster output to be negligible at all speeds. Don't let the other voices drown them out.

15. Michael2000

Michael2000 Member

The test results seemed more "empiracle" than "science".

A) Sample size of one.
    B) One meter with limited bandwidth.
    C) Meter not calibrated.
    D) Magnetic fields not measured.

Michael

16. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Consumer Reports conventional vs hybrid tests:

Mythbuster: EMF levels in hybrids

As an aside, and not particularly related to anyone / anything here, but: Why is it ok to allege something without any scientific basis, but unacceptable to respond with anything less than a triple blind study?

17. Michael2000

Michael2000 Member

Thanks for link.

As far as your second question, I think I will chaulk it up to "human nature". I see both sides doing this. I will say, though, as time goes on and knowledge increases, many things that were considered "safe" turn out to be not so safe.

Michael

18. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Like breathing raw and burned gasoline fumes(the alternative)?

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yep, there is good theoretical and experimental evidence that inhaling gasoline fumes is dangerous (carcinogenic in fact). There is no theoretical evidence and no credible experimental evidence that weak magnetic fields are hazardous. People are just afraid of things they can't see. I can smell gas so I KNOW I'm being contaminated by benzine and other carcinogens... somehow that's okay.

20. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The problem is that EMF radiation has been debunked so many times over the past twenty years that folks get tired of explaining it. You get more EMF radiation from your house wiring than you ever will from any car.