Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True story.

A family member (inlaw) has their microwave oven door duck taped shut, as they are worried about their health, so never use it (it is built in to the cabinet, they had never owned one before). Oh yeah, one small thing, their home is 50 meters from a cell phone tower...

The confusion here is not understanding the difference between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation.

EM-spectrum.png

.... of which magnetic fields are neither... you need a high energy photon to damage DNA. Non-Ionizing radiation is only dangerous in that it can cause thermal burns if the sheer quantity of energy is sufficient.

Tesla and EMF

I did a lot of research before looking at a Tesla automobile. What I found regarding EMF (electromagnetic radiation) is that it supposedly generates no more than a gasoline powered automobile. Users that had done tests reported that it was low. My wife and I decided to take the 24 hour test drive, which I highly recommend. We took it on our shopping trip which requires many hours of driving and many stops. We were lucky to get a brand new Tesla P85D. The first thing that we found is that the glue used to attach the headliner is highly toxic and is not cured prior to releasing the car. We could not drive without opening all of the windows, and even then it was too much. I know from being in older Tesla cars that the smell does mostly disappear, but Tesla needs to address this problem in my view in brand new cars. This problem interfered with the driving experience overall. But in spite of that the car is absolutely impressive. Tesla has done a superb job of design.

The EMF though may be a big problem for some drivers. I have worked in a computer data center, which is a building that houses hundreds of computers that run internet sites and business applications for remote users. To say the least the atmosphere there is highly electrical and will practically make your hair stand on end. No one can spend more than a couple of hours in the buildings without getting sick. The Tesla is by no means on that scale but I have to report that both my and my wife’s experience was very much the same as being in a data center. Neither of us is sensitive to cell phones, but the Tesla is definitely very high in EMF. It took us a full week to return to normal after that drive. We were only able to complete 4 hours of the 24 hour drive because of the toxic smell, but the EMF level decided us against the Tesla. If we only drove the car for an hour and then took a good long break it would not be a big issue. The experience we both had was of a strong buzzing kind of feeling. We were not able to fully relax. It was as if all of the atoms in our body were electrically charged and would not quickly return to normal. We even took our shoes off and walked outside on the ground, which felt good, in order to get rid of the sensation. To walk on the earth grounds the body, but it was not enough to stop the problem immediately. If there was a way to ground an electric car then there would not be an EMF issue. Some of the EMF is grounded in the air, but the rate at which the Tesla generates it is way beyond the capacity of the air to dissipate it immediately.

I don’t mean to discourage anyone from buying a Tesla. I just want to note our experience so that everyone can know that this is happening. Everyone is different and many people may not have this experience. It may even be good for some people as magnets can bring health and so may electromagnetic radiation. It may also cause health issues for some people because it unbalances them, which may be a subtle, long term thing like eating too much junk food over a period of time. At some point the body breaks down because of the burden.

I did a lot of research before looking at a Tesla automobile. What I found regarding EMF (electromagnetic radiation) is that it supposedly generates no more than a gasoline powered automobile. Users that had done tests reported that it was low. My wife and I decided to take the 24 hour test drive, which I highly recommend. We took it on our shopping trip which requires many hours of driving and many stops. We were lucky to get a brand new Tesla P85D. The first thing that we found is that the glue used to attach the headliner is highly toxic and is not cured prior to releasing the car. We could not drive without opening all of the windows, and even then it was too much. I know from being in older Tesla cars that the smell does mostly disappear, but Tesla needs to address this problem in my view in brand new cars. This problem interfered with the driving experience overall. But in spite of that the car is absolutely impressive. Tesla has done a superb job of design.

The EMF though may be a big problem for some drivers. I have worked in a computer data center, which is a building that houses hundreds of computers that run internet sites and business applications for remote users. To say the least the atmosphere there is highly electrical and will practically make your hair stand on end. No one can spend more than a couple of hours in the buildings without getting sick. The Tesla is by no means on that scale but I have to report that both my and my wife’s experience was very much the same as being in a data center. Neither of us is sensitive to cell phones, but the Tesla is definitely very high in EMF. It took us a full week to return to normal after that drive. We were only able to complete 4 hours of the 24 hour drive because of the toxic smell, but the EMF level decided us against the Tesla. If we only drove the car for an hour and then took a good long break it would not be a big issue. The experience we both had was of a strong buzzing kind of feeling. We were not able to fully relax. It was as if all of the atoms in our body were electrically charged and would not quickly return to normal. We even took our shoes off and walked outside on the ground, which felt good, in order to get rid of the sensation. To walk on the earth grounds the body, but it was not enough to stop the problem immediately. If there was a way to ground an electric car then there would not be an EMF issue. Some of the EMF is grounded in the air, but the rate at which the Tesla generates it is way beyond the capacity of the air to dissipate it immediately.

I don’t mean to discourage anyone from buying a Tesla. I just want to note our experience so that everyone can know that this is happening. Everyone is different and many people may not have this experience. It may even be good for some people as magnets can bring health and so may electromagnetic radiation. It may also cause health issues for some people because it unbalances them, which may be a subtle, long term thing like eating too much junk food over a period of time. At some point the body breaks down because of the burden.

So first things first. EMF? EMF Radiation Plenty of Model S discussion there.

I do have to take exception to definitive statements you make like 'the glue is highly toxic', without referencing WHAT the glue is or what led you to your conclusions. 'Highly toxic' is, imo, a statement that shouldn't be made lightly.

Read the thread at the link I gave you. Instead of subjectively reporting that the EMF must be high because it made the driver feel odd, forum members used calibrated equipment to objectively measure the actual output.

Lastly, magnets are not proven to "bring health". That's folklore that may or may not be true. Claiming it could cause health issues because it would unbalance them is just irresponsible.

Bonnie's thread link is good. I also recommend looking at controlled studies about EMF and magnet-related health claims. There has been no conclusive evidence (to date) that these are harmful or beneficial in any way. In almost all cases, symptoms (sickness from EMF caused by wifi, etc) have been confirmed as nocebo.

On the topic of toxicity, let's also remember that everything is toxic. It's the dose that matters. Just research water toxicity - it exists.

As with most health and science claims, it's best to rely on controlled evidence rather than anecdote to make your decisions about what may or may not be harmful.

Respectfully, the OPs claims about EMF are nothing more than unscientific nonsense and any sense you are getting of being ill from car or computer generated EMF is also nonsense. I don't mean to be insensitive but let's keep it real. Coddling these types of silly beliefs can cause actual harm of the real variety in the form of bad public policy.

I have worked in a computer data center, which is a building that houses hundreds of computers that run internet sites and business applications for remote users. To say the least the atmosphere there is highly electrical and will practically make your hair stand on end. No one can spend more than a couple of hours in the buildings without getting sick.

I spent a significant portion of my career building / upgrading various data centers for major tech companies. 1000s of hours in many huge data centers. Never heard of, or experienced anything like this.

Those types of buildings/rooms are heavily air conditioned to keep equipment operating correctly. Unfortunately this dries out the air, and makes it unpleasant for people sensitive to low humidity to spend long hours in them. It would certainly dry out my skin and sinuses to spend too much time in these buildings. Perhaps this is what you've experienced?

I always like to walk on the ground without shoes in order to get rid of strong EMF buildup (you know when you feel all the atoms in your body are electrically charged and won't return to normal) that is higher than the capacity for the surrounding air to dissipate it.

Yes, the way the model S is constructed means there is very little EMF in the car. I bought a new Model S and drove it home from the factory within days of it finishing production and never noticed any "highly toxic" glues. It does have a bit of a "new car" smell, but it seems like it's mainly carpet smell to me.

I also have worked in many data centers. The noise usually wears on me, and maybe the cold, but that's about it.

I'm an Electrical Engineer with many years of experience and I don't believe there is any effect or harm from EMI/RFI levels that are typically found in most homes and cars. Working on high-power radio transmission equipment is another thing altogether though. A cell phone is probably the highest near-field RF exposure most people get. The energy radiated in a Model S is many magnitudes lower.

I get that feeling whenever I'm around my wife. Animal magnetism, I always thought. Perhaps being in a Model S kinda just enhances the sensation when spouses are together.

To @SportsCarBuff: your claim that Tesla EMF is making you ill is at this point unsubstantiated by any evidence. A physicist acquainatnace of mine who takes EMF very seriously has taken measurements in the back seat of a Tesla and found the readings to be very low. He has no concerns about riding in a Tesla, and this is a guy who had his entire house re-wired because he said it had high EMF readings.
So before you make bold claims about negative effects of Tesla EMF, get some data on your car.
As for your complaint about the smell of the headliner glue, I am dubious as I have not seen any other posts about that, and with 100,000 Teslas on the roads it seems this would be a widespread issue. But it is most certainly is not.
At this point I am skeptical about the veracity of your post. And as to your belief that "magnets bring health", there is no credible data to support that. It's nonsense.

Last edited:
I don’t mean to discourage anyone from buying a Tesla. I just want to note our experience so that everyone can know that this is happening.

No, it's not happening at all. And, yes, you do mean to discourage people from buying a Tesla by posting such nonsense.

I always like to walk on the ground without shoes in order to get rid of strong EMF buildup (you know when you feel all the atoms in your body are electrically charged and won't return to normal) that is higher than the capacity for the surrounding air to dissipate it.

I can't say that's something I've ever felt.

I seriously doubt that is true.

I doubted it, too, so I do what I normally do. Google!

Turns out it's kind of true. A psychic DID sue an MRI clinic because of inability to continue to work. But it wasn't because the psychic claimed the MRI ruined psychic powers. She appears to have had an allergic reaction to the dye that was injected prior to the imaging, which left her with months of headaches after. Nothing to do with magnets.

But of course, urban folklore likes the other version better. :) It's like a game of telephone where every time it's retold, it strays a little further from the truth.

Says Her Powers Vanished : 'Psychic' Awarded $988,000 in Hospital CAT-Scan Lawsuit - latimes