Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC issue? Only the eMMC or more? And can 12volt battery cause issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, first, I apologize if I failed to search existing threads and find all this info already. I did go pretty deep in the eMMC wiki sticky, which was very helpful. But it didn’t answer all my questions.

I have a 2013 Model S 60kwh with about 54,000 miles on it. I did not have the eMMC issue on my radar at all until one of the most recent updates. I wrote to Tesla Service right after a software update because the car became glitchy right after the update. I just wanted to alert them I was experiencing issues and hoping to put in a bug report. They immediately set me up for the MCU replacement (out of warranty, of course).

After doing some research, I recognize these symptoms from the wiki thread:
1) stuttering AM/FM on occasion in first 15 seconds of startup - this may have started months or even years ago, but this was the only symptom I had and never regarded it as an issue;
2) restarting the MCU daily — this only started after most recent software update (so only a couple of months ago)

However, my car has other glitches that I have not seen described in the threads:
3) while parked, and whether or not charging or not charging, the car “wakes” up frequently and cycles and makers whirring noises, etc. NOTE: I recently needed my 12volt battery changed, but the part was backordered for months, I thought alot of these issues were related to the 12volt battery having died and relying on the lithium-ion battery. I have a video that I took (just for the sound), but now sure if it will upload...
4) range seems to have gone down a lot, but I think that is because the car is using a ton of electricity while being idle
5) related to above, we went out of town in early August, Tesla stayed behind, left the car plugged in. It charged to approx 80% but now the charging has stopped and won’t restart and from 170 miles of approx range, the app now says I have 70 miles of range. So in 3 weeks the car has used 30-35 khw of electricity sitting in a garage — is this related to MCU failure???
6) several years ago I paid the $500 upgrade to go from 3G to 4G — I immediately complained and said that nothing seemed faster to me. The SC just gaslighted me on that and I let it drop — was that because I was on MCU1 and was never going to see a speed increase or was I already in MCU failure then?

Lastly, just to reiterate the question partially mentioned above — would not being able to replace the 12 volt battery for a long time cause additional eMMC cycles or get it into a cycle loop or otherwise trigger a series of other issues? I literally had to wait 3 to 4 months to get a new 12 volt battery from Tesla.

Thanks to: @appleguru @EV-Fixme @TonyT @Rockwell @kyleT for the eMMC wiki thread and information and many other members that contributed their experiences.

3) while parked, and whether or not charging or not charging, the car “wakes” up frequently and cycles and makers whirring noises, etc. NOTE: I recently needed my 12volt battery changed, but the part was backordered for months, I thought alot of these issues were related to the 12volt battery having died and relying on the lithium-ion battery. I have a video that I took (just for the sound), but now sure if it will upload...

Tesla makes mysterious noises on its own so I don't think those have anything with any failures.

To show a video, you need to upload to youtube first then provide us the link here.

4) range seems to have gone down a lot, but I think that is because the car is using a ton of electricity while being idle

No, I don't think failing eMMC would decrease your range.

5) related to above, we went out of town in early August, Tesla stayed behind, left the car plugged in. It charged to approx 80% but now the charging has stopped and won’t restart and from 170 miles of approx range, the app now says I have 70 miles of range. So in 3 weeks the car has used 30-35 khw of electricity sitting in a garage — is this related to MCU failure???

One of the functions for MCU is Battery Management System. So charging failure can be because of failing eMMC.

6) several years ago I paid the $500 upgrade to go from 3G to 4G — I immediately complained and said that nothing seemed faster to me. The SC just gaslighted me on that and I let it drop — was that because I was on MCU1 and was never going to see a speed increase or was I already in MCU failure then?

Browser slowness is related to MCU1. I knew that because I used to drive 2012 Model S with 3G which is about 3Mbps and when I switched to home wi-fi at 100Mbps and I saw no speed improvement in the car. Also, 4G LTE is still much slower than home wifi.

If you switch to a higher speed source such as 4G or home wifi and you don't see any difference then it's the MCU performance.

would not being able to replace the 12 volt battery for a long time cause additional eMMC cycles or get it into a cycle loop or otherwise trigger a series of other issues? I literally had to wait 3 to 4 months to get a new 12 volt battery from Tesla...

Waiting for 12V does not affect your failing eMMC.

Reactions: DSK and Akikiki
2013 Model S 60,000 mile (March 2013)

So, I think Tesla is being really shady with me. I was having a lot of problems with the screen and infotainment system going back to May/June of this year. Tesla SC said that had to replace the eMMC / MCU, sent me a bill to authorize and then told me it would be weeks before they had the parts... I finally bring the car in to the SC in Sept, but there was a misunderstanding about no loaner being available (I needed the car / car seat). So I had to leave and reschedule. That got cancelled out. Right after I started trying to reschedule, they may the announcement about covering the eMMC repair -- GREAT -- but now SC is saying, oh your eMMC unit is fine, we diagnosed it, you just have software issues that we will fix in an update...

So when you wanted me to pay for it, I needed the eMMC, but now that you are covering it you suddenly have a diagnostic tool and I don't need this part? Also, note, I age out of this warranty coverage in March 2021

Anyone else think this is shady?

2013 Model S 60,000 mile (March 2013)

So, I think Tesla is being really shady with me. I was having a lot of problems with the screen and infotainment system going back to May/June of this year. Tesla SC said that had to replace the eMMC / MCU, sent me a bill to authorize and then told me it would be weeks before they had the parts... I finally bring the car in to the SC in Sept, but there was a misunderstanding about no loaner being available (I needed the car / car seat). So I had to leave and reschedule. That got cancelled out. Right after I started trying to reschedule, they may the announcement about covering the eMMC repair -- GREAT -- but now SC is saying, oh your eMMC unit is fine, we diagnosed it, you just have software issues that we will fix in an update...

So when you wanted me to pay for it, I needed the eMMC, but now that you are covering it you suddenly have a diagnostic tool and I don't need this part? Also, note, I age out of this warranty coverage in March 2021

Anyone else think this is shady?
There is a difference between the MCU replacement and the eMMC replacement. The eMMC is just the memory card for the MCU. Tesla will replace the eMMC if their tests show it has too many bad blocks. Apparently yours doesn't have too many bad blocks.
I'd recommend you get the new MCU (which includes a new larger eMMC card). Everyone seems to appreciate the increased MCU speed.