Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall reimbursement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s logic in this case doesn’t pass the smell test. They knew for a fact that all MCU1s will eventually fail and so to deny on the ground that something else might have been broken in your MCU1 other than the eMMC makes no sense. I think that You can tell them that there is no evidence that it was something else that failed and without any evidence to support either case, which component would they think was the most likely to have failed?
Tesla logic is simple - "deny most claims, save money". They will do some payouts, only so that there are people out there they can point to as "look, we paid", and sometimes those people will even defend Tesla on forums with "I got paid, so Tesla is honoring the recall". In my case I offered top ship them the original, Tesla supplied emmc chip so they can see for themselves it is dead, but still, they denied my claim with the same stupid link to FAQ. I sent them 2 emails since, about specifically why the claim was denied or a contact number for someone to talk to, gave each a couple of weeks for them to respond, but got no responses. One more going out tonight letting them know that unless I hear back by Monday, I will be filing a complaint with the Administrator of NHTSA, as per the instruction in the recall notice I received.

Are others still waiting? I submitted my claim on March 5th and still have not heard anything back one way or the other. Email said they would get back to me in 2-3 weeks.

I’m still waiting too - submitted around the same time
We received an email a month or so back indicating they had received our request. No word since then.

I got my rejection to my appeal. Fwiw, I got my initial rejection 2 days after submitting my claim 1 week ago and my appeal was rejected in 2 days as well. Those waiting should respond to their original email.

I'm bummed since rejecting the claim merely because I wasn't willing to deal with *another* MCU1 failure after experiencing one earlier shouldn't absolve Tesla of at least subsidizing their fix to this issue.

I'm also in the "nothing from Tesla"group. Used their support chat function and found an option the gave me a real person. After giving details he said he would research and personally get back to me "within 3 days". That was 5 days ago - I'm not holding my breath.

I'd suggest everyone in that situation do the same - maybe they'll figure it out. Doubtful but maybe.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
After emailing them that I will be submitting a complaint to NHTSA, I finally got a response. Tesla claims that I am not a 3rd party therefore the repair does not qualify as 3rd party repair and their recall only covers Tesla or 3rd party repairs.

Does anyone have any definitions of "3rd party repair" or "3rd party modification" from any Tesla literature which you care to share? I could have sworn they officially claim they don't warranty 3rd party mods in which they include any modifications to the car done by the owner, therefore they include the owner in the definition of 3rd party. Thanks in advance.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
After emailing them that I will be submitting a complaint to NHTSA, I finally got a response. Tesla claims that I am not a 3rd party therefore the repair does not qualify as 3rd party repair and their recall only covers Tesla or 3rd party repairs.

Does anyone have any definitions of "3rd party repair" or "3rd party modification" from any Tesla literature which you care to share? I could have sworn they officially claim they don't warranty 3rd party mods in which they include any modifications to the car done by the owner, therefore they include the owner in the definition of 3rd party. Thanks in advance.
You are the owner, so you are the first party. Tesla is the second party. You should have had your wife fix the eMMC, then you would have been covered; she would be the third party. :p

How many Tesla's have you bought? Cheeses crust. Come on Tesla, just give the man the $320 and stop being so nitpicky.

I see no reference (submitted, pending, accepted, declined, etc.) to this issue on my online profile. All I have is the original email and what appears to be a conformation email of my claim submittal. The form says not to submit more than once, but I'm beginning to wonder if they every received my claim.
For the longest time I never heard anything either after submitting. I just got the original thank you for submitting your claim email. Nothing else. And nothing showed up in my Tesla account either.
Yesterday out of the blue I received an email from Tesla confirming that I would in fact be reimbursed and it even told me the amount they would be reimbursing me. In the email it also stated I should be receiving a cheque in 3-4 weeks. For what it’s worth, I hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: bwb1 and dark cloud

I think the definition of "3rd party repair" is irrelevant, because that language does not appear in the official recall report:

Specifically, it says: "Tesla will also replace the eMMC on all affected vehicles or reimburse any affected customers who previously paid to replace an eMMC, Visual Compute Module (“VCM”) daughterboard, or MCU that was determined to be caused by accumulated wear of the eMMC."

Reactions: croman and whitex
You are the owner, so you are the first party. Tesla is the second party. You should have had your wife fix the eMMC, then you would have been covered; she would be the third party. :p

How many Tesla's have you bought? Cheeses crust. Come on Tesla, just give the man the $320 and stop being so nitpicky.
So you are saying that any modifications I can possibly make the car are warrantied by Tesla, because they don't fall under "3rd party modifications" exclusions?

So you are saying that any modifications I can possibly make the car are warrantied by Tesla, because they don't fall under "3rd party modifications" exclusions?
Uhm, no, other than installing the roof rack or other Tesla accessories, because they have these exclusions in the regular "new car" warranty: Third party wording, or otherwise is nowhere described.

The eMMC recall has different rules, but of course I was making light of the fact they seem to be making it up as they go.

Of course I am no lawyer.

Exclusions:
Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 7.32.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 7.24.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 7.08.20 PM.png

But if one fixes their own eMMC and the MCU works, does that qualify as "certified"?

Reactions: whitex
Uhm, no, other than installing the roof rack or other Tesla accessories, because they have these exclusions in the regular "new car" warranty: Third party wording, or otherwise is nowhere described.

The eMMC recall has different rules, but of course I was making light of the fact they seem to be making it up as they go.

Of course I am no lawyer.

Exclusions:
View attachment 660679View attachment 660678
View attachment 660676

But if one fixes their own eMMC and the MCU works, does that qualify as "certified"?
"certified" by itself means absolutely nothing without a clarifier "by whom?". I bet in this case Tesla will claim the repair shop must be certified by Tesla, meaning do through the official Tesla repair shop certification process. Otherwise I can say I self certified, or that my friend certified me. I can even print an official looking "certificate" too ;)

That said, I don't want them to warranty the repair, simply to reimburse me. If they have a problem with my accounting, I am more than happy to agree to Tesla's own pricing at the time, ~$2,000 for remanufactured MCU replacement. After all it was Tesla's own fair pricing, so they should not dispute it, right?

Last edited:
I have paid for two out of pocket MCU 2.0 upgrades, one of my 2014 and one on my 2016. Telsa SC told me they didn’t have parts for one (2016), so I upgraded for $5K, so I could drive my car again and then for the 2014, told me the Emmc board swap wasn’t possible so I paid for the $2500 MCU 2.0upgrade,

Today I got a $320 check...this Saturday Night Live skit isnt funny. This doesn’t even cover the 7 Uber rides back and forth to the SC to deal with this shetz....