Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall reimbursement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see no reference (submitted, pending, accepted, declined, etc.) to this issue on my online profile. All I have is the original email and what appears to be a conformation email of my claim submittal. The form says not to submit more than once, but I'm beginning to wonder if they every received my claim.

I had replacement screen Sept 25 2019, filled out the form Mar 5 2021, and was denied with "no record of potentially reimbursable repairs performed by Tesla"

I have spend 4hrs on the phone with customer care, to no avail. Now they are asking me to take it up with my service center that did the repair, as they are the last line of defense between me getting my money back or not

I also never got a decline email. I had to go check on my online profile.

I'm honestly sick and tired of this. I cancelled my wife's new Plaid, I canceled my CyberTruck. This company is going down the toilet hole faster than I can count. I can't believe how difficult it is to get a live person at this company to help, and even when they do help, they give you the run around.
Totally agree. It is so difficult and such a poor experience to even just get parts from them. If you need any little thing out of the norm for anything to do with tesla, it's a horrible experience.
Meanwhile I keep getting calls and emails to ask if I'm ready for my model y. I told them I'll be ready when you change your ownership experience :)

As for the topic... I haven't got any additional communication after the "you will hear something by end of March" email. The contactus/reimbursement link takes me to just the general contact page.
Any tricks to submit the claim? Anyone else in same boat?
I had mine replaced in 2018 I think, all these posts are from more recent replacements it seems.

What you say makes total sense, except that Tesla fights every arbitration and lawsuit with vigor, so the end result, it is just not worth the effort for a $1280. Tesla does this to send a message to anyone trying to challenge them - "you might win, but it will cost you more than you win".
Actually it costs Tesla more. Arbitration costs $0. Small claims is a small filing fee, which is included in a judgment when you win. It takes a little time but very little money, on the other hand, Tesla has to pay staff to deal with each claim, and travel if in small claims. After they lose 10 or 12 they will get the message, and will have learned another very needed lesson in corporate responsibility.

Reactions: croman and KArnold
Actually it costs Tesla more. Arbitration costs $0. Small claims is a small filing fee, which is included in a judgment when you win. It takes a little time but very little money, on the other hand, Tesla has to pay staff to deal with each claim, and travel if in small claims. After they lose 10 or 12 they will get the message, and will have learned another very needed lesson in corporate responsibility.
I meant your cost will be more than what you win. I agree that it may cost Tesla more per incident, however long term it saves them money by making challenging Tesla a loss to the challenger. For example, imagine it costs you $3,000 in time and money to win $2000, and it costs Tesla $4000. If Tesla fights each and every arbitration (which they appear to be doing), word spreads and it deters people from trying. Remember Pedo guy who sued Elon for $75K? I bet it costed Elon more than $75K in his and his lawyers time to win that case, yet he fought it hard. Elon could have drawn a SpaceX doodle on a napkin and auctioned it off for more. ;)

I also was rejected just this afternoon by email a day after I applied for the reimbursement.

I was told my MCU1 would eventually fail and so I opted for MCU2 but that shouldn't absolve Tesla for the recall because I was paying to fix Tesla's defective design.

Reactions: cybergates
I meant your cost will be more than what you win. I agree that it may cost Tesla more per incident, however long term it saves them money by making challenging Tesla a loss to the challenger. For example, imagine it costs you $3,000 in time and money to win $2000, and it costs Tesla $4000. If Tesla fights each and every arbitration (which they appear to be doing), word spreads and it deters people from trying. Remember Pedo guy who sued Elon for $75K? I bet it costed Elon more than $75K in his and his lawyers time to win that case, yet he fought it hard. Elon could have drawn a SpaceX doodle on a napkin and auctioned it off for more. ;)
Yes, Tesla does have a belligerent attitude about many things, and to me that's all the more reason to take them to task. I agree with you that, If a person is billing out at $500/hr and has more work than they can keep up with, and No Free time, then of course it isn't worth their time. I think most of us can find a little Free time to do arbitration where there really isn't much effort or time involved, especially when Tesla has handed them all the evidence they need to win.
File
Submit Tesla's quotes for repair 1280 and 2480 for MCU 2
Ask Tesla during the arbitration to produce evidence of a $320 repair that was offered at that time
Ask how much you would be reimbursed if you had done the 1280 chip repair
State that you made the $2480 choice because there was no 320 option.

Shouldn't take much more than that.

A defamation suit is apples and oranges to this repair issue, and very difficult to win. Not only do you have to prove the elements, but also actual damages.

Perhaps Elon should get a stack of napkins and start drawing, then he could meet his legal obligations to his customers, and still break even, without forcing his customers to drag Tesla to arbitration.

Yes, Tesla does have a belligerent attitude about many things, and to me that's all the more reason to take them to task. I agree with you that, If a person is billing out at $500/hr and has more work than they can keep up with, and No Free time, then of course it isn't worth their time. I think most of us can find a little Free time to do arbitration where there really isn't much effort or time involved, especially when Tesla has handed them all the evidence they need to win.
File
Submit Tesla's quotes for repair 1280 and 2480 for MCU 2
Ask Tesla during the arbitration to produce evidence of a $320 repair that was offered at that time
Ask how much you would be reimbursed if you had done the 1280 chip repair
State that you made the $2480 choice because there was no 320 option.

Shouldn't take much more than that.

A defamation suit is apples and oranges to this repair issue, and very difficult to win. Not only do you have to prove the elements, but also actual damages.

Perhaps Elon should get a stack of napkins and start drawing, then he could meet his legal obligations to his customers, and still break even, without forcing his customers to drag Tesla to arbitration.
It sounds like you have a side gig opportunity here. You purchase arbitration power of attorney for whatever Tesla is giving people the runaround, and you collect whatever you win? So for example, for an MCU repaid, you buy it for $1000, you win $2,000 from Tesla and make bank in your spare time! You might find a bunch of customers here on TMC.

In February 2020 My 2012 model S display failed. I paid $390 service fee for the diagnostic appt. A couple of months later Tesla called me in for the repair when parts arrived. Recently I was approved for reimbursement and received a check for the repair itself, but not the diagnostic appt. Tesla customer support center is completely unable to help. Anybody else able to get reimbursement assistance from anyone at Tesla? Unfortunately the original email was so old that my ISP has deleted it and I did not save it.

I thought I'd post here because there seems to be no way I can find to reach out to a live person at Tesla about it. The 800# (888#) just runs you around through "self service options" with no way to speak with anyone.

I have received many NHTSA recall notices at Tesla at this point on my '13 P85 - I don't understand the point. Service centers will just turn you away and the notice just says "parts aren't available". Apparently there's no way to get an ETA on when they will be available because a human can't be reached.

Is Tesla ever going to actually fix something here or what?

Reactions: FlatSix911
Is Tesla ever going to actually fix something here or what?
Why would they want to fix that? It will only cost them money, so a complete disincentive given Elon's obsession with short term profitability.

I've sent questions to their email after they denied my claim, asking for why, and it's a black hole. My guess is, they just dump the emails in a mailbox nobody checks.

I appealed my claim denial and provided paperwork. They thanked me for the paperwork but denied my claim anyway.
I responded with this.

"You know people, this is bullshit. I did exactly what Tesla recommended I do for the problem. That chip failure was the core problem. You are disallowing reimbursement on a technicality you have created."

I appealed my claim denial and provided paperwork. They thanked me for the paperwork but denied my claim anyway.
I responded with this.

"You know people, this is bullshit. I did exactly what Tesla recommended I do for the problem. That chip failure was the core problem. You are disallowing reimbursement on a technicality you have created."

What is the technicality they are using to deny your claim?

My appeal:
"My MCU1 was replaced on 8/22/2019. I paid $2900.05. I was told this was the problem that required I replace the unit.
I would like a copy of the service invoice for that date along with an explanation.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 7:22 AM xxxxxx <xxxxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
My MCU1 was replaced with an MCU2 because it was no longer functional. I was told by the service center that the memory was overloaded and had gone bad.
It was not under warranty. I paid out of pocket.

Now I feel you have taken advantage of me."

Their response:
Thank you for contacting Tesla regarding the 8GB eMMc recall reimbursement review of your VIN ending in X. We appreciate the additional context provided in your email, and your efforts in this matter. Upon further review with this additional information, we were able to confirm VIN X is ineligible for reimbursement per the guidelines in the recall. Our diagnostics do not indicate any malfunctions or accumulated wear with the eMMc prior to the MCU replacement. There are many components within the touchscreen that could potentially fail and result in needing a MCU replacement.

For additional context to the 8GB recall reimbursement program, please visit our support page at https://www.tesla.com/support/8gb-emmc-reimbursement-frequently-asked-questions

Thank you once more for your time, and for helping to transition the world to sustainable energy.

Kind regards,  

Tesla’s logic in this case doesn’t pass the smell test. They knew for a fact that all MCU1s will eventually fail and so to deny on the ground that something else might have been broken in your MCU1 other than the eMMC makes no sense. I think that You can tell them that there is no evidence that it was something else that failed and without any evidence to support either case, which component would they think was the most likely to have failed?

Reactions: croman
My appeal:
"My MCU1 was replaced on 8/22/2019. I paid $2900.05. I was told this was the problem that required I replace the unit.
I would like a copy of the service invoice for that date along with an explanation.

Their response:
Thank you for contacting Tesla regarding the 8GB eMMc recall reimbursement review of your VIN ending in X. We appreciate the additional context provided in your email, and your efforts in this matter. Upon further review with this additional information, we were able to confirm VIN X is ineligible for reimbursement per the guidelines in the recall. Our diagnostics do not indicate any malfunctions or accumulated wear with the eMMc prior to the MCU replacement. There are many components within the touchscreen that could potentially fail and result in needing a MCU replacement.

For additional context to the 8GB recall reimbursement program, please visit our support page at https://www.tesla.com/support/8gb-emmc-reimbursement-frequently-asked-questions

Thank you once more for your time, and for helping to transition the world to sustainable energy.

Kind regards,  

Do you not have a copy of the invoice already? It should be in the Tesla app. It would be a better appeal if you could cite the diagnosis in the invoice. If Tesla didn't fully diagnose the problem, they can't really say it's not the eMMC.

Do you not have a copy of the invoice already? It should be in the Tesla app. It would be a better appeal if you could cite the diagnosis in the invoice. If Tesla didn't fully diagnose the problem, they can't really say it's not the eMMC.
I did find a copy of the invoice in my app. and it was sent to them. I was told the memory was overwhelmed and had gone bad but this was what they documented. So now they are claiming it might have been something else.

Screenshot 2021-05-05 165432.jpg

My appeal:

Their response:

Kind regards,  
I'm actually encouraged that they are investigating diagnostic logs for a determination. Hoping that helps in my case.