Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall reimbursement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a sophisticated formula

1622249200199.png

Hey guys has anyone gotten anywhere with this?? I submitted and called Tesla and there is no one for me to speak with in that department. I’ve reached out to the regional manager here who was responsive at first and now it’s seems like Tesla MO is to ghost customers. Last May 2020 I paid for the touchscreen to be replaced bc it failed. I too submitted the form and got an auto reply. This is such crap. May be we have to message Elon to ask for help bc that seems to be the only way to get anywhere.

I upgraded voluntarily even thought my mcu was always freezing and crashing. I didnt bother with SC bc I was out of warranty and knew they wouldnt do anything. I did put one service request during my final visit before warranty expired but the SC in a shady move removed any record of the mcu issues from the invoice and when I asked he said they checked remotely and all good just reboot it.
This is totally what happened!! Same thing happened to me.

Hey guys has anyone gotten anywhere with this?? I submitted and called Tesla and there is no one for me to speak with in that department. I’ve reached out to the regional manager here who was responsive at first and now it’s seems like Tesla MO is to ghost customers. Last May 2020 I paid for the touchscreen to be replaced bc it failed. I too submitted the form and got an auto reply. This is such crap. May be we have to message Elon to ask for help bc that seems to be the only way to get anywhere.
Sorry, but I think your odds of getting something by messaging Elon are lower than spinning the wheel. I just accepted nothing positive was going to happen and bought the MCU2 upgrade to address my MCU crashing and the yellow boarder (pun intended). I believe Elon’s focus is on growth, profits, and plowing his bonuses into Space-X. This is just my personal opinion. He is mission driven.

I got an email from Tesla today, approving my $200 reimbursement. (Tesla got my MCU working again by resetting it, or something like that, and I paid the $200 deductible on my extended warranty.) I filled out the form exactly a month ago, and since they didn't find any matching services, I had to say it was a third-party repair and upload my Tesla invoice.

I got an email from Tesla today, approving my $200 reimbursement. (Tesla got my MCU working again by resetting it, or something like that, and I paid the $200 deductible on my extended warranty.) I filled out the form exactly a month ago, and since they didn't find any matching services, I had to say it was a third-party repair and upload my Tesla invoice.

And the check arrived in the mail, today!

Whoa, how did you get so much! I'm located in Ontario Canada and just got my refund cheque for $1460 CAD; however, there was no letter or email explaining the amount. My MCU1 failed in July 2020 and I elected to upgrade to MCU2 at the time, rather than paying a signficant amount to repair the MCU1 that was bound to fail again anyways. Back in July, these were the prices I was quoted when making my decision:

MCU1 Repair:
  • $1349 CAD -- Parts
  • $280 CAD -- Labour
  • $212 CAD -- Taxes
  • $1841 CAD -- TOTAL

MCU2 Upgrade:
  • $3309 CAD -- Parts
  • $201 CAD -- Labour
  • $456 CAD -- Taxes
  • $3966 -- TOTAL
Does someone know the formula used to determine the refund that you'll receive? While the $1460 CAD refund isn't terrible, I was expecting the cost of the MCU1 repair (i.e. $1841 CAD).

Thanks!
I love the "spin-the-wheel" thing haha! Based on Tesla's statement, I should have received at least $1629 (and perhaps the tax to bring it to $1841) since that was the cost of an MCU1 repair at the time. I never received an email, even thogh I got the $1460 cheque in the mail. Is it worth fighting for? Who do you guys call for this stuff? Thanks!

Question is did you guys receive the auto email denying you had an eMMC issue?
Not me. I heard of it here. I applied via their process as soon as it came up. In late April, I found a guy via the web site chat (it wasn't "support" or "emmc" - I forget exactly what area but it was one with a real person). He promised to follow-up. A week later I got a check - the amount I cannot explain - most likely a wheel spin.

Has anybody had their reply/check arrive well after the 60 days as promised? I completed this back in March, no reply so far. I replaced mine back in July of 2020 with an MCU2 at full price.
I am considering resubmitting again at this point, there seem to be no way to track or trace the application through this reimbersment process.
update: will not let you resubmit, will just have to wait.

Last edited:
Has anybody had their reply/check arrive well after the 60 days as promised? I completed this back in March, no reply so far. I replaced mine back in July of 2020 with an MCU2 at full price.
I am considering resubmitting again at this point, there seem to be no way to track or trace the application through this reimbersment process.
The statement on my invoice stated "Technician performed diagnostics and verified Media Control Unit requires replacement due to internal fault. Performed
infotainment upgrade with replacement touchscreen as required and performed function check. Verified operations are
working as designed after repairs."
Hopefully this is not some fancy word craft to avoid an actual admission of the source of problem.

Got an email on 6/1 saying my refund request was approved but have not received check yet. Still within the promised 3-4 week window though. I know a handful of forum members have received theirs already, so hoping it arrives soon.

File a BBB complaint.
I did it, and actually got a response from [email protected]. Weird that Tesla address those, but the service centers do not even pick up the phone.