Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall replacement - had 3G to LTE modem replaced for parts cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question about the 64GB EMMC recall upgrade. Reading some of these posts some are talking about also upgrading from 3G to LTE. I just bought my 2014 P84+ and it has the 8GB EMMC. I took it to the service center and inquired about it. They wanted me to upgrade to MCU2 for $1,500 saying my car's VIN isn't ready yet for the 64GB daughterboard and probably wouldn't be ready for several months.
Didn't really want to pay $1,500 as everything is working ok for me just wish NAV maps were faster, but not worth $1,500 to me just yet.
Anyways, I don't think I have 3G cause my screen says LTE, does that mean sometime prior my cell modem has already been upgraded?
Thanks
Some people think the MCU2 is a conspiracy. Its a big upgrade and worth more than the $1500. Regardless of what some people are saying. Or, you can opt to wait your turn when they can get to your car for the eMMC replacement. (You can call it an eMMC upgrade if you wish. Technically being a larger eMMC chip, its is an upgrade, but compared to MCU2 upgrade the 64 GB eMMC replacement is a band-aid.

We don't get much direct info from Tesla regarding all this. Even less about eMMC replacements. We do know they are treating those MCU1 cars with any eMMC or future eMMC issue via triage. So, its worse first. You can take some consolation in the time line they are postponing your repair until yours is worse.

Yes, it looks like you already have the LTE upgrade from 3G. But if you don't know already, we can only guess. Time wise, the LTE board was not factory installed until April/May 2015. Yours being a 2014, does not make sense it was a factory install. Any chance you don't remember your car being in for MCU or LTE upgrade? Or maybe you've not always owned it? Otherwise, its just a guess if you certainly have LTE.

yes.
to get Tesla to do the recall which they volunteered to do but are complete opposite and trying various scandalous, fraudulent ways to make money on the recall. They tried doing it to me which was a big mistake. Tesla does not want to do any service on any car unless they have to under warranty or make excessive amount of profit. the recall is government mandated and Tesla's saying "your vehicle is not ready yet" is b.s. unless they make money on it as in your case upgrading the MCU.
here is how you bypass Tesla's service thievery go on that great app schedule service, reason: screen blacked out as you were driving and didn't know what to do you had been noticing the screen taking time to turn on and slow response time. mention the NHTSA somewhere in your message. they will schedule you to upgrade the emmc and get the recall taken care of. it's a real shame the way Tesla is handling this recall but I found out its not just this recall that Tesla Service Centers are shady. I can't go into details but my SC is at my mercy. Free for life
Thank you, I’ll check it out.

Last edited:
Some people think the MCU2 is a conspiracy. Its a big upgrade and worth more than the $1500. Regardless of what some people are saying. Or, you can opt to wait your turn when they can get to your car for the eMMC replacement. (You can call it an eMMC upgrade if you wish. Technically being a larger eMMC chip, its is an upgrade, but compared to MCU2 upgrade the 64 GB eMMC replacement is a band-aid.

We don't get much direct info from Tesla regarding all this. Even less about eMMC replacements. We do know they are treating those MCU1 cars with any eMMC or future eMMC issue via triage. So, its worse first. You can take some consolation in the time line they are postponing your repair until yours is worse.

Yes, it looks like you already have the LTE upgrade from 3G. But if you don't know already, we can only guess. Time wise, the LTE board was not factory installed until April/May 2015. Yours being a 2014, does not make sense it was a factory install. Any chance you don't remember your car being in for MCU or LTE upgrade? Or maybe you've not always owned it? Otherwise, its just a guess if you certainly have LTE.
I’ve only owned it for a few weeks, it’s definitely MCU1 but also definitely LTE. I verified by the board in the menu it’s MCU1 also my with Tesla also verifying it’s MCU1. And the internet takes about 10 seconds for each letter to populate when typing and the map is super slow when zooming in so it’s MCU1. I don’t have a need for internet and the slow maps just wasn’t worth $1,500. Plus I don’t have autopilot as well. Tesla said the 64GB chip will do nothing for speed so I wouldn’t even notice any difference if they did it anyways. We’ll see what happens

Reactions: Akikiki
Tesla told you accurate info regarding; "the 64GB chip will do nothing for speed so I wouldn’t even notice any difference if they did it anyways.". Even the LTE will do little, since the LTE is not the bottleneck.
One weird thing, maybe an MCU1 thing. It won’t connect to my wife, it’s sees it and takes the password but then when connecting it just has the scroll wheel and never connects. And the manual says it’ll also connect to my phone, but WiFi doesn’t see the phone, and the hotspot is on. Maybe cause the phones connected via Bluetooth, that it can’t do both at the same time. ?

One weird thing, maybe an MCU1 thing. It won’t connect to my wife, it’s sees it and takes the password but then when connecting it just has the scroll wheel and never connects. And the manual says it’ll also connect to my phone, but WiFi doesn’t see the phone, and the hotspot is on. Maybe cause the phones connected via Bluetooth, that it can’t do both at the same time. ?

I am a little confused with some of your description. Tell me, please, where I am most confused. Looks like you are saying from your phone using the app, you are have problems connecting to the car. And your wife also is. That is one of the first signs of a failing eMMC. Here's a link to one of our long threads on eMMC failures. 98 pages if you read all of it. But fortunately, the TMC admin folks have made this a Wiki and allows the first post to be updated many times. So please take a look. You might see other signs of eMMC failure you recognize on your car.

You said, "And the manual says it’ll also connect to my phone,.." Your cell phone will connect via Bluetooth to the car for making calls and listening to music streamed from Internet, phone to car. If you use a Hotspot or turn your cellphone's hotspot on, you should be able to connect your car via WiFi for an Internet connection. But Most of the older cars have free Premium Connectivity. Even those after 2018 or sold by Tesla as used cars after 2018, Tesla's $9.95 a month Premium Connectivity plan is a bargain. Unless you have firmware version 2021.32.xx, ever time that you 1) connect hotspot to car for Internet, then 2) put car in Drive, its going to disconnect from WiFi, even if Hotspot is still working. That's the way its been for 8+ years. Only recently have they changed that. Gotta have new firmware though.

You said, "but WiFi doesn’t see the phone,..." The car's connection to the phone will not be using the Phone's name. It you are using the phone as a hotspot, it will be by the name you use on your phone with you turn it on as a hotspot. Here's a hint that will save you some extra work. If you are going to use your phone as a hotspot, its a good idea to give it the name and use the password that you use at home for your WiFi SSID and password. That way, when you drive away from your home, the car will search for the same WiFi name.

I have never tried to use my phone as a hotspot and also connect the phone to the car's Bluetooth. I think it would work though.

Remember these simple rules. At home, you would want to connect the car to your home WiFi. And you want to connect your cell phone to your home WiFi, this might help you connect the cell phone > app > car better than away from your home WiFi. Maybe, can't guarantee it.

Please read that first post in that link. It will give you some insight from some really spare eMMC repair people.
Just so you know. Since 2018 when the first eMMCs started failing, there's been many failed. There's been hundreds of people ask thousands of questions with most of them asking the same thing just slightly different. Until Jan/Feb 2020, eMMC replacement was the only option. Hundreds or maybe thousands of us have bit the bullet and moved up to MCU2. I've seen only a few people that said they thought was was not worth it. I venture to say, 98% of us do/did and would do it again.

Did this help?

I am a little confused with some of your description. Tell me, please, where I am most confused. Looks like you are saying from your phone using the app, you are have problems connecting to the car. And your wife also is. That is one of the first signs of a failing eMMC. Here's a link to one of our long threads on eMMC failures. 98 pages if you read all of it. But fortunately, the TMC admin folks have made this a Wiki and allows the first post to be updated many times. So please take a look. You might see other signs of eMMC failure you recognize on your car.

You said, "And the manual says it’ll also connect to my phone,.." Your cell phone will connect via Bluetooth to the car for making calls and listening to music streamed from Internet, phone to car. If you use a Hotspot or turn your cellphone's hotspot on, you should be able to connect your car via WiFi for an Internet connection. But Most of the older cars have free Premium Connectivity. Even those after 2018 or sold by Tesla as used cars after 2018, Tesla's $9.95 a month Premium Connectivity plan is a bargain. Unless you have firmware version 2021.32.xx, ever time that you 1) connect hotspot to car for Internet, then 2) put car in Drive, its going to disconnect from WiFi, even if Hotspot is still working. That's the way its been for 8+ years. Only recently have they changed that. Gotta have new firmware though.

You said, "but WiFi doesn’t see the phone,..." The car's connection to the phone will not be using the Phone's name. It you are using the phone as a hotspot, it will be by the name you use on your phone with you turn it on as a hotspot. Here's a hint that will save you some extra work. If you are going to use your phone as a hotspot, its a good idea to give it the name and use the password that you use at home for your WiFi SSID and password. That way, when you drive away from your home, the car will search for the same WiFi name.

I have never tried to use my phone as a hotspot and also connect the phone to the car's Bluetooth. I think it would work though.

Remember these simple rules. At home, you would want to connect the car to your home WiFi. And you want to connect your cell phone to your home WiFi, this might help you connect the cell phone > app > car better than away from your home WiFi. Maybe, can't guarantee it.

Please read that first post in that link. It will give you some insight from some really spare eMMC repair people.
Just so you know. Since 2018 when the first eMMCs started failing, there's been many failed. There's been hundreds of people ask thousands of questions with most of them asking the same thing just slightly different. Until Jan/Feb 2020, eMMC replacement was the only option. Hundreds or maybe thousands of us have bit the bullet and moved up to MCU2. I've seen only a few people that said they thought was was not worth it. I venture to say, 98% of us do/did and would do it again.

Did this help?
Sorry, meant to say I cannot connect the car's WiFi to my WiFi, I don't see an edit button and couldn't correct "wife". The app works just fine connecting to the car and using all the features. And in the manual it says I can connect the car to my phone's WiFi Hotspot, and that part doesn't work either. I was just playing with features and noticed the car's WiFi won't connect to my home or my phone's WiFi. My car care with free unlimited connectivity so that's all good, was just wondering why the car wouldn't connect to my home WiFI.
And I would love the upgrade to MCU2, but the only nagging things are slow zooming in on the maps, and maybe once every few days the streaming music will get the scroll wheel when playing the next song. I just go to a different station and it's fine again. So with only those two things, it's really not worth it to me to have everything faster for $1,500. Yes the YouTube/Netflix may be a bonus on a trip but again not worth $1,500 to me.
Going through the maintenance history receipts the prior owner gave me, the touchscreen was replaced 2 1/2 years ago due to yellowing, so I think this screen should last a while.

Since you are relatively new to Tesla, just to help you understand. A more than a few but not a large number of people have had home WiFi connections. Its usually either a WiFi range issue that they solved with an Extender, or Mesh WiFi, or maybe repositioning. Once in a while its a router that the Tesla Blue Parrot WiFi adapter does not like. But, but you mentioned you can't connect even to a cell phone hotspot. Sounds like something is wrong and not with home WiFi. If you can, I would take my car into the SC and ask them to connect your car to their WiFi. Their robust WiFi should easily connect. If it can't, you know you have a problem, and they need to take a look at it.

Before you take it in, here's some documented tips that may help you. Cost you nothing to read thru this.

Since you are relatively new to Tesla, just to help you understand. A more than a few but not a large number of people have had home WiFi connections. Its usually either a WiFi range issue that they solved with an Extender, or Mesh WiFi, or maybe repositioning. Once in a while its a router that the Tesla Blue Parrot WiFi adapter does not like. But, but you mentioned you can't connect even to a cell phone hotspot. Sounds like something is wrong and not with home WiFi. If you can, I would take my car into the SC and ask them to connect your car to their WiFi. Their robust WiFi should easily connect. If it can't, you know you have a problem, and they need to take a look at it.

Before you take it in, here's some documented tips that may help you. Cost you nothing to read thru this.
Thank you very much. Great website you referred me to, bookmarked it.
I think I already tried to forget network and started over, I've also done the scroll wheel reset. My router is 2.4 and 5G and I have old 2.4 security cameras and 5G devices connected so it should work. The router is only one wall away from the garage and less than 25ft or so from the router to the right mirror, so range shouldn't have anything to do with it.
There's a SC only a few miles from me and I'll stop there and check it out.
Thank you 😁

Reactions: Akikiki and WhiteWi
hi all, dropping to see what other people's experience has been with the eMMC recall. I have a 2013 Model S 60. I got the letter, like most people did in March 2021, but then didn't hear anything after that. I finally started contacting Tesla via the app to ask for a priority replacement in June or July and just got it done (October 2021). They were really weird about it. At first I was getting emails saying the part wasn't available. Then the emails stopped and my service request had disappeared/ been cancelled. So, I did it again and actually got the appointment scheduled. But I have no idea what they did or did not do. Can I run a diagnostic and see? The main issue that I had was very slow start up (like sometimes 45 seconds to start up) and that is still present. Not sure about my other symptoms yet. Needless to say there was no communication before, during or after. No paperwork and no evidence of whether a repair actually happened. They charged the car for me. This was Marietta GA location. Btw @jgatl , I am amazed that you got great service at the Decatur location. The last couple of times I have been there with my 2013, they have been really unpleasant.

I paid for the 4G/LTE upgrade a long time ago, but I never noticed any speed improvement. My maps still redraw super slow.

Thank you for the quick reply 😊 One more thing, how long should the upgrade take to complete? I dropped the car off at 9am this morning and I just got a message saying they are done. This morning they told me that the car would be there overnight till tomorrow afternoon because the garage was backed up. Did I just get lucky?
I know this is an old thread, but Tesla regularly sends a message to your app that your car is complete but it’s done in error. I don’t know how. Happened to me, happened to a friend. I always call ahead now before taking an Uber 40 minutes like last time. Then 40 minutes back home, then 40 minutes the next day. What a treat. Not even an apology but I think so little of Tesla service that I just smile and explain how it’s okay, no worries. I’ll fix all the broken tabs in my door when I get home.