Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall replacement - had 3G to LTE modem replaced for parts cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my 2013 Model S in for the eMMC recall/replacement. While I was waiting on the eMMC part to arrive, I messaged the TSC asking what the cost would be to replace my 3G modem with the 4G/LTE board. TSC in Decatur, GA quoted me the parts-only cost for the replacement ($118.21). Plus they fixed a missing clip that was behind the dash. The service advisor even said, great idea replacing the board while we were replacing the eMMC card, saved yourself $400.

Hope this helps others upgrade to LTE while getting their eMMCs replaced.

I asked for an emmc replacement when I got an error message on the instrument cluster and asked for a quote on the LTE upgrade and SD card replacement. It was $500 for the LTE upgrade and it was a single charge without the parts and labor separated.

The SD card replacement is $20 parts and $195 labor.

I asked if I can get a discount since they were already doing the emmc replacement and they said no. This was in the Los Angeles area.

If they allow discounting labor, I suggest asking them to change the SD card since it’s only a $20 part through Tesla. Changing out the emmc shares around 95% of the labor compared to changing out the SD card.

I ended up not doing any of the work because they wanted to charge me for the emmc replacement as you can see from the quote. When I inquired that it should be covered under recall, they said my car isn’t faulty yet and that the most recent update fixed it.
BD3751B0-A954-4A15-BFF0-4B5D45DB212D.png

Last edited:
I had the same result as you @slainla until I received the Tesla recall letter for the repair. Have you checked your VIN for the recall? By the way, the MCU upgrade is now $1,500. I don't know if the TSC will replace the modem as part of that service.

I had the same result as you @slainla until I received the Tesla recall letter for the repair. Have you checked your VIN for the recall? By the way, the MCU upgrade is now $1,500. I don't know if the TSC will replace the modem as part of that service.

As discussed in multiple MCU2 upgrade threads, the MCU2 upgrade @ $1500 also upgrades your 3G to LTE since MCU2 comes with the LTE modem built-in.

Reactions: jgatl
I sure did. I got the email, actual letter in the mail, and confirmed my VIN on the website all to no avail. They’re literally waiting for my emmc to completely fail while prioritizing others.

What grinds my gears is they had no problem scheduling me for the repair when they were going to charge me directly. They changed their tune once I pointed it out. They said they forgot to check and confirmed I’m covered but then cancelled the emmc line item.

@slainla once I got my letter, I messaged TSC using the app and scheduled an appointment. I told them I was scheduling my eMMC repair based on the recall letter I received from Tesla. Note that I had reported prior issues with a black screen, perhaps that helped. They rescheduled my appointment a couple of times since the eMMC board had not yet arrived at the TSC.

@slainla once I got my letter, I messaged TSC using the app and scheduled an appointment. I told them I was scheduling my eMMC repair based on the recall letter I received from Tesla. Note that I had reported prior issues with a black screen, perhaps that helped. They rescheduled my appointment a couple of times since the eMMC board had not yet arrived at the TSC.
Thanks for the suggestion, I scheduled service and got the appointment confirmed within a few days. I didn't press for it initially since I haven't been driving much.

I asked for an emmc replacement when I got an error message on the instrument cluster and asked for a quote on the LTE upgrade and SD card replacement. It was $500 for the LTE upgrade and it was a single charge without the parts and labor separated.

The SD card replacement is $20 parts and $195 labor.

I asked if I can get a discount since they were already doing the emmc replacement and they said no. This was in the Los Angeles area.

If they allow discounting labor, I suggest asking them to change the SD card since it’s only a $20 part through Tesla. Changing out the emmc shares around 95% of the labor compared to changing out the SD card.

I ended up not doing any of the work because they wanted to charge me for the emmc replacement as you can see from the quote. When I inquired that it should be covered under recall, they said my car isn’t faulty yet and that the most recent update fixed it.
View attachment 660915
the eMMC Is a national recall they have to replace it for free tell them your going to call the NHTSA.GOV

I dropped my 2015 MS 85D off to the Los Angeles - Centinela SC this morning for the eMMC recall work plus to fix a rattle and the infamous yellow banding on my main touchscreen. I also said I wanted to do the 3G to LTE upgrade. I was expecting to be told it was $500-ish based on what I've read in these forums and elsewhere, but my rep said it was $1200 for just the LTE upgrade! He then tried to sell me on doing the infotainment upgrade for "only" a little bit more ($1600 total + tax) but I declined the LTE and infotainment upgrades. I guess I'll just kick that can down the road and deal with it when AT&T turns off 3G.

I would have asked for a written quote. Then I would find a way to send it to management at Tesla. Because that was gouge if ever or someone does not know how to read the work order pricing system. We've seen more than one report here of folks that we getting the eMMC fix and paid only for parts ($120 or so) for the 4G upgrade, since they were already inside the MCU.

Last edited:
I dropped my 2015 MS 85D off to the Los Angeles - Centinela SC this morning for the eMMC recall work plus to fix a rattle and the infamous yellow banding on my main touchscreen. I also said I wanted to do the 3G to LTE upgrade. I was expecting to be told it was $500-ish based on what I've read in these forums and elsewhere, but my rep said it was $1200 for just the LTE upgrade! He then tried to sell me on doing the infotainment upgrade for "only" a little bit more ($1600 total + tax) but I declined the LTE and infotainment upgrades. I guess I'll just kick that can down the road and deal with it when AT&T turns off 3G.
my 2017 MS is at the SC on Centinela, just dropped it off this morning. They are trying to charge me $2000 + tax for the mcu2 infotainment upgrade.... so are u saying that it should be cheaper? also my car has LTE connection already, is this normal?

my 2017 MS is at the SC on Centinela, just dropped it off this morning. They are trying to charge me $2000 + tax for the mcu2 infotainment upgrade.... so are u saying that it should be cheaper? also my car has LTE connection already, is this normal?
2017 would be AP2.0 or AP2.5, for which they charge $2000 instead of $1500, supposedly because they replace AP2.x with AP3.0 at the same time. If you have already paid for FSD (not subscribed), then it should cost $1500 (since you already paid for the FSD computer). But if you haven't paid for FSD and plan to subscribe, then you're saving $500 assuming they still replace the AP computer at the same time (as the FSD computer costs $1000 for those who plan to subscribe to FSD but don't have AP3.0 computer installed):

Reactions: tamaramiisu
2017 would be AP2.0 or AP2.5, for which they charge $2000 instead of $1500, supposedly because they replace AP2.x with AP3.0 at the same time. If you have already paid for FSD (not subscribed), then it should cost $1500 (since you already paid for the FSD computer). But if you haven't paid for FSD and plan to subscribe, then you're saving $500 assuming they still replace the AP computer at the same time (as the FSD computer costs $1000 for those who plan to subscribe to FSD but don't have AP3.0 computer installed):
Thank you for the quick reply 😊 One more thing, how long should the upgrade take to complete? I dropped the car off at 9am this morning and I just got a message saying they are done. This morning they told me that the car would be there overnight till tomorrow afternoon because the garage was backed up. Did I just get lucky?

I have to bring the car in again this Saturday to finally get my work done. They only fixed my yellow banding last time because they didn't have the parts to fix my eMMC (despite having made an appointment 3 weeks in advance -- rediculous) and my rattle (air suspension module). I was able to get a more informed service advisor to add the LTE upgrade for a much more reasonable $340 (tax included). A much more sane price. Fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly.

Just got an estimate for fixing the error message "Parking brake not fully engaged" (one side seems kaput) -- $1400; that cost assumes replacement of both calipers.

When I asked about the eMMC recall fix, I got crickets.

Quick correction: The SC got back to me, and has scheduled replacement of the eMMC! I really should just upgrade to MCU2, but since this is free (and I already have 4G, and actually like having FM) then I'm just going to see how this goes. Maybe I'll upgrade around the end of the year if they starting getting screens in supply; I hear they're short and are leaving the old screens in when going to MCU2 (and my screen has developed a weird defect at the top that I'm ignoring...)

I have to bring the car in again this Saturday to finally get my work done. They only fixed my yellow banding last time because they didn't have the parts to fix my eMMC (despite having made an appointment 3 weeks in advance -- rediculous) and my rattle (air suspension module). I was able to get a more informed service advisor to add the LTE upgrade for a much more reasonable $340 (tax included). A much more sane price. Fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly.
After 4 days in the SC in June plus another 12 days in the SC again, I finally have my car back. Had the eMMC recall repair, LTE upgrade, driver side rear air spring module replaced, floor mats replaced, a door realigned and the steering column control replaced (shifter had lost some of the trim). My warranty runs out in about 7k miles so I tacked on everything that I could. Only thing that cost was the LTE upgrade @ $350. The LTE was worth it as it is way faster than the old 3G and the response from the MCU is snappy with the new eMMC. I opted to not do the $1200 MCU upgrade. Nothing in the new MCU is attractive enough for me to justify the cost. Not to mention I wanted Tesla to pay for the eMMC mistake and if I opted for the upgrade, I would have been paying for it. I can watch Netflix and play games I like on my phone, plus I can keep my AM/FM.

Question about the 64GB EMMC recall upgrade. Reading some of these posts some are talking about also upgrading from 3G to LTE. I just bought my 2014 P84+ and it has the 8GB EMMC. I took it to the service center and inquired about it. They wanted me to upgrade to MCU2 for $1,500 saying my car's VIN isn't ready yet for the 64GB daughterboard and probably wouldn't be ready for several months.
Didn't really want to pay $1,500 as everything is working ok for me just wish NAV maps were faster, but not worth $1,500 to me just yet.
Anyways, I don't think I have 3G cause my screen says LTE, does that mean sometime prior my cell modem has already been upgraded?
Thanks