Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC Recall Service Causing MCU Fail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the recall service to upgrade the eMMC card from 8GB to 64GB and I noticed after that that my BT and Wifi no longer worked.

Because we’re not driving much these days (working from home) and we went on vacation shortly after the service, I didn’t book a service appointment until about 3 weeks later.

Long story short, they replaced the MCU due to a “non-serviceable MCU fault” and charged me the $200 extended service agreement deductible.

I brought up the fact that this happened after the recall service work and didn’t feel they should charge this as an extended warranty claim, but they said that they replaced the daughter board during the recall service and that there’s no way this MCU fault could have been caused by that.

I’m skeptical since the recall info specifically states the eMMC is in the MCU, so it seems at least possible that damage was caused (whether ESD/static electricity damage to components, etc) as a result of their service.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I have zero problems paying the $200 deductible if in fact there’s no way the recall service could have caused the MCU fault that took out my BT/WiFi, but if it could be related, I feel like they should give me the benefit of the doubt because this problem popped up right after their service work.

Just looking for some more informed opinions on this, as I have no idea where this daughter board and eMMC card is relative to the MCU that went bad.

I had the recall service to upgrade the eMMC card from 8GB to 64GB and I noticed after that that my BT and Wifi no longer worked.

Because we’re not driving much these days (working from home) and we went on vacation shortly after the service, I didn’t book a service appointment until about 3 weeks later.

Long story short, they replaced the MCU due to a “non-serviceable MCU fault” and charged me the $200 extended service agreement deductible.

I brought up the fact that this happened after the recall service work and didn’t feel they should charge this as an extended warranty claim, but they said that they replaced the daughter board during the recall service and that there’s no way this MCU fault could have been caused by that.

I’m skeptical since the recall info specifically states the eMMC is in the MCU, so it seems at least possible that damage was caused (whether ESD/static electricity damage to components, etc) as a result of their service.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I have zero problems paying the $200 deductible if in fact there’s no way the recall service could have caused the MCU fault that took out my BT/WiFi, but if it could be related, I feel like they should give me the benefit of the doubt because this problem popped up right after their service work.

Just looking for some more informed opinions on this, as I have no idea where this daughter board and eMMC card is relative to the MCU that went bad.
as far as the emmc goes that is a daughter board of the MCU it is on the NHTSA recall list meaning tesla has to replace it at no cost when the time comes that the 8gb gets full of rewritable codes and causes the MCU screen to freeze and or blackout. 90% of the time Tesla will say your emmc is still good and will let you know when the part comes in. the repair has nothing to do about getting any other part on the mcu replaced including the touchscreen. Now if you want to get tesla to get replace the emmc in a faster manor there is a way that's proven. message me for how to.

It is possible that they damaged something during the eMMC replacement, but not likely. They could have left the BT/WiFi antenna disconnected, but I assume they would have figured that out rather than saying that the MCU failed.

But most likely the Parrot module, responsible for BT/WiFi, just failed. It has happened to a number of people.

If you had gone back in, or at least booked a service appointment, right away they might have treated you differently, but it sounds like you waited three weeks to tell them there was a problem.

as far as the emmc goes that is a daughter board of the MCU it is on the NHTSA recall list meaning tesla has to replace it at no cost when the time comes that the 8gb gets full of rewritable codes and causes the MCU screen to freeze and or blackout. 90% of the time Tesla will say your emmc is still good and will let you know when the part comes in. the repair has nothing to do about getting any other part on the mcu replaced including the touchscreen. Now if you want to get tesla to get replace the emmc in a faster manor there is a way that's proven. message me for how to.
Faster you say? How?

You Should be skeptical. The same thing just happened to me. After 7 days, the shop said the car was ready and tried to charge me for a Micro SD Card for navigation. They also claimed the MCU was unresponsive after the eMMC change. The MCU was fine when I dropped the car off for the recall last Tuesday. Today (12/27) they said the car was ready for pick-up. When we got there they found another fault. I told them they can bring the car to me when they get this mess figured out!