Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall vs. MCU2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I've been reading threads trying to understand the difference between the eMMC recall and MCU2 upgrade. I'm taking delivery of my 2017 MX with MCU1 next week (hopefully!) and I don't know if I should wait for the recall (which I think would give me most if not all of the upgrade benefits) or if I should upgrade to MCU2 regardless of the upgrade. Maybe these are two completely different things. I'm confused! :confused:

Can someone please clarify for this newbie?

Thanks,

Jose

eMMC replacement and MCU2 upgrade are two very different things.

The eMMC is embedded memory and will eventually fail on MCU1. eMMC appears to be fine on MCU2.

MCU1 is slower and has fewer features than MCU2 but MCU1 will be mostly functional with the eMMC upgrade, the browser and voice commands “functional” being debatable.

Here is one of the better summaries: Tesla Infotainment MCU Computer Upgrade although at the moment the upgrade is $1500 and drops AM even with the current $500 tuner upgrade.

Last edited:
and I don't know if I should wait for the recall (which I think would give me most if not all of the upgrade benefits) or if I should upgrade to MCU2 regardless of the upgrade.
If you're looking to drive your X on the cheap and are satisfied with the speed of your media control unit, you could just hold out until the recall.

However, I've upgraded my 2017 Model X in October 2020 and have to say that the media control is much faster and voice commands actually get understood and work. I do not care much about Netflix or games, but they also get added to your media control.

In combination with autopilot hardware, your dashboard will also show traffic cones and garbage dumpsters, and will be quicker to display other road features. It's only with the full paid autopilot suite with an upgrade to autopilot hardware 3.0 you also get stopping for red lights.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading threads trying to understand the difference between the eMMC recall and MCU2 upgrade. I'm taking delivery of my 2017 MX with MCU1 next week (hopefully!) and I don't know if I should wait for the recall (which I think would give me most if not all of the upgrade benefits) or if I should upgrade to MCU2 regardless of the upgrade. Maybe these are two completely different things. I'm confused! :confused:

Can someone please clarify for this newbie?

Thanks,

Jose

The recall replaces the eMMC chip on an MCU1, it does not offer a free MCU2 upgrade.

If you wait for the recall to be performed, your car will be resolved. You will no longer be eligible for a discounted MCU2 upgrade in the future.

If you take delivery of the car, and your MCU1 goes bad you will be given an option to replace the chip and/or upgrade to the MCU2 (possibly at a discount) as a repair method. If you then receive the recall notice, the notice states if you upgraded you are eligible for some compensation as a result. (not exact wording)

If you take delivery of the car and your MCU1 is functional. Tesla will eventually contact you to execute the recall which includes replacement of the eMMC chip. You can then try to negotiate a discount to upgrade to MCU2.

In all cases if you are even considering a MCU2 upgrade, take delivery of the car sooner than later.

They (Service Center) had my 2018 MS-100D with MCU1 in from Fri-till today (Monday) and the just zapped my MCU or cleared out the memory only, they would not change anything as of yet. My screen would black out from time to time or freeze up. They told me to keep any eye on it and take photos or time - stamp the next time it black outs or freezes.
S0 - here we go down a long road trying to get them to honor the re-call on the MCU issue.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: BostonBurley
@Baxterdown did you find out your cars manufacturing date? If it is before August 2017 it has AP2.0 and the MCU2 upgrade has benefits such as adding dashcam and sentry mode. If after that date and it is an AP2.5 car, there are fewer new features to the MCU2 upgrade. I was among the latter group, but am definitely in the “it was worth it” camp. And I even paid $2500. Tesla reducing the price to $1500 was unexpected (to me at least). Tesla does unpredictable things like that though. Could they reduce the price further? Sure, but I think it is unlikely.

@Yinn, is the current $1,500 cost to upgrade to MCU2 considered a discount? Or are you thinking that in the future there might be an option for those who get the recall that is less than the current cost?

The $1500 is not the discounted price. There may be an option in the future, it's happening now but a YMMV. But certainly according to the recall letter there will be reimbursement if MCU1 fails and you upgrade to MCU2 before the recall is performed. As such, I'm inclined to think a discount should be offered consistently.

1500 is the discounted price. Lots folks gladly paid 2500 for the past year and raved about the good value upgrade. Now at 1500, it’s an easy decision if the 1500 itself is doable

Strange, I did a straight upgrade last year and that was the price I got. No discount, no haggling, no dead screen. That was without the screen and just the MCU was upgraded.

Thanks everyone! Appreciate all the replies and explanations. I’m definitely doing the upgrade. I was just confused with what is the difference between it and the recall.

Thanks again!
With the Mcu2 upgrade, you get two brand new screens also. the console screen and the drivers screen. better resolution and crisper colors.

With the Mcu2 upgrade, you get two brand new screens also. the console screen and the drivers screen. better resolution and crisper colors.

That's not always the case. You definitely get the new dash/drivers screen, but there are cases where the center display was retained and in exchange a credit for the upgrade was given. When there is a shortage, it isn't even an option.

THAT! I didn’t know!! That’s awesome!! :)

That's not always the case. You definitely get the new dash/drivers screen, but there are cases where the center display was retained and in exchange a credit for the upgrade was given. When there is a shortage, it isn't even an option.

Info I gathered back when this was a hot topic. HTH

t0tRfLi.jpg

THAT! I didn’t know!! That’s awesome!! :)

I asked my service rep. "would you wait for the free upgrade 3-6 months from now or do the MCU2 upgrade now at a discount?" He asked me how long I planed on keeping the car. I replied "Until the wheels fall off!" He then told me, no question get the MCU2 upgrade. I did.

No regrets, its great

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: elguapo