Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall vs. MCU2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 30DA7CA3-8BD3-4E2D-965B-0F77951FD3A8.jpeg
    30DA7CA3-8BD3-4E2D-965B-0F77951FD3A8.jpeg
    413.9 KB · Views: 214
Reactions: elee888
I would assume I’m getting a new screen since my quote was for $1500.
I can’t access my vehicle now to see if the estimate shows the part
Could certainly be a new one. Maybe they all have new screens now. I guess I've never seen anyone report a $1250 price but they did drop it from $2500 to $1500.
No worries. You are going to live the new setup/MCU2!!
Here’s a pic of my parts order email
I did a google search for the part# and it seems to be for an S?
Model S HW3.0 and MCU2 Upgrade Configurations
AFAIK there is no difference between the X and S components for this.

Reactions: chukiechz
Hi everyone,

I've been reading threads trying to understand the difference between the eMMC recall and MCU2 upgrade. I'm taking delivery of my 2017 MX with MCU1 next week (hopefully!) and I don't know if I should wait for the recall (which I think would give me most if not all of the upgrade benefits) or if I should upgrade to MCU2 regardless of the upgrade. Maybe these are two completely different things. I'm confused! :confused:

Can someone please clarify for this newbie?

Thanks,

Jose
MCU1 on its best day with perfectly running emmc will never be at the same level as MCU2. I drove with MCU1 in combination with the HW3 (FSD) for 8 months before I decided to upgrade to MCU2. I had no issues with emmc. The car was functional with full FSD driving capabilities. What is impacted by MCU1 is voice commands, web browser, Teslacam, and overall slowness. Voice commands are pretty much unusable. I came up with some tricks to help it work better. But, it rarely worked. The web browser is completely useless. Don't even bother trying to use it. Teslacam works in combination with the FSD computer installed, but only retrievable from the USB drive. You will not be able to view videos on the MCU. Overall slowness impacts pretty much everything else. Some functions better than others. Media works fine. Navigating and selection of settings is a bit slow but work. Navigation is considerably slower than MCU2, but, if you are patient, it will work. Waiting on reroutes can be problematic when timing is an issue. If it helps, navigation and voice commands were impacted by the introduction of Teslacam. I learned that if you do not install the USB drive and don't mind not having Teslacam, voice commands and navigation lag go away. Personally, I wanted the dashcam capability and just learned not to use voice commands. I really wasn't unhappy with the navigation lag. It worked great if you don't mind being a bit patient with it. Overall, MCU2 is a new experience with full functional capabilities. I hope this provides some anecdotal evidence to help you make your decision to upgrade. Also, the recall doesn't mean you will get new emmc. You will only get it if it fails. Mine didn't and I didn't wait for it to fail.

Thanks @rush6410! You explained it perfectly. I've been living with MCU1 for six days now and that's all it took for me to be done with it. I rely on voice commands a lot for making work calls from the car and like you said, they're useless. Streaming music is also painfully slow to load up with constant loading errors.

I have an appointment on Saturday morning to do the MCU2 upgrade! :)

I just had mine swapped for MCU2 and gotta say I'm very happy with it. I don't need all of the self-driving stuff since I live on such a small island and this upgrade made my 8 year old car feel like I swapped for a new one.

I upgraded to MCU2 when I brought my car in for the eMMC recall. I have an AP1 MX and so the upgrade would only be for infotainment. The question of whether it's worth it is subjective (costed me 1500), but considering that the "brain" of the car is now a major improvement to me has made it feel like a new car again. I've used the Netflix, Hulu, Youtube (Youtube TV) app numerous times already while waiting for kids appointments and I don't have to pay for connectivity so that's awesome!

Reactions: StephenM
Hi All,

I upgraded my wife's 2015 S 85 D on August 4, 2020. ($2500)

I got the email and filled it in with the VIN and the form automatically filled in the
August 4, 2020 upgrade date and the form said I qualified for reimbursement...

I sent it in...

Shawn
Had you previously taken the car in and had it diagnosed? We did the upgrade without getting it diagnosed because we already knew the eMMC was the problem.

Our form said we were ineligible but I went ahead and submitted the invoice. Hopefully the worst that could happen is they decline it. The best is that they could actually refund part of the upgrade.

Reactions: scottf200
Had you previously taken the car in and had it diagnosed? We did the upgrade without getting it diagnosed because we already knew the eMMC was the problem.

Our form said we were ineligible but I went ahead and submitted the invoice. Hopefully the worst that could happen is they decline it. The best is that they could actually refund part of the upgrade.

I got mine diagnosed and was verbally told it was a failing eMMC. But the service summary shows that it was an upgrade. My form also says ineligible. My issue with that is that I would not have "upgraded" if it wasn't failing and specifically stated that.

@Baxterdown did you find out your cars manufacturing date? If it is before August 2017 it has AP2.0 and the MCU2 upgrade has benefits such as adding dashcam and sentry mode. If after that date and it is an AP2.5 car, there are fewer new features to the MCU2 upgrade. I was among the latter group, but am definitely in the “it was worth it” camp. And I even paid $2500. Tesla reducing the price to $1500 was unexpected (to me at least). Tesla does unpredictable things like that though. Could they reduce the price further? Sure, but I think it is unlikely.
Mine is December 2016
Im Not sure what I have but it does has sentry but sure it must be MCU1 as still have fm tuner etc ?
I'm a confused newbie
Apologies mine is a S but assume these are the same system

Last edited:
Mine is December 2016
Im Not sure what I have but it does has sentry but sure it must be MCU1 as still have fm tuner etc ?
I'm a confused newbie
Apologies mine is a S but assume these are the same system
S and X came with MCU1 until March 2018 so if yours hasn't been upgraded, it's most likely MCU1.

Sentry is available with MCU1 and AP2 but it won't record video unless you've been upgraded to AP3/FSD hardware. AP2.5 cars with MCU1 can record video from three cameras. AP3 allows recording from 4 cameras with MCU2.