Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall vs. MCU2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I wonder why Eligibility for Reimbursement is Yes if they hadn't diagnosed issues with the eMMC and you upgraded to MCU2. I think the rest of us are seeing No even though we did the same $2500 upgrade.

It's possible that ShawnA's 4 year warranty had expired at the time of MCU2 upgrade, as far as I know they are denying reimbursement claims for those who opted for MCU2 upgrade within warranty, but approving claims if you opted to upgrade to MCU2 after warranty expiry. Mine was diagnosed for eMMC failure and still had 1 year warranty left, the claim form showed "Not Eligible" submitted it anyways. Let's see what happens. Also, I upgraded just 2 weeks before the price drop.

So in my claim I mentioned the details below and asked them consider reimbursement, if not for the software upgrade which showed that eMMC failure message, I would have waited until price drop/reimbursement details. Showing that failure, getting as many people to upgrade, and then dropping dropping the price for upgrade/reimbursement policy upgrade sounded like bait and switch.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
As far as I know the Software Upgrade sometime in Nov/December 2020 introduced the feature to figure out how bad the wear was on eMMC and display message on screen saying "Center Display storage device degraded - Okay to Drive - Use mobile app to schedule service"

I wish you dropped the price before this software upgrade showing such message to users. Showing such message to users and so that some decide to upgrade at $2500 and drop the prices felt like I took the bait. I would have waited until the price drop if not for this message. Obviously I could have got MCU1 fixed under warranty free of cost, but we all know most don't do it and many would opt for MCU2 upgrade. So I feel I got played. I wish they refund the price difference/reimburse, or at the very least whose MCU1 was degraded while still under warranty!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@verygreen : Your thoughts?

Last edited:
It's possible that ShawnA's 4 year warranty had expired at the time of MCU2 upgrade, as far as I know they are denying reimbursement claims for those who opted for MCU2 upgrade within warranty, but approving claims if you opted to upgrade to MCU2 after warranty expiry. Mine was diagnosed for eMMC failure and still had 1 year warranty left, the claim form showed "Not Eligible" submitted it anyways. Let's see what happens.

@verygreen : Your thoughts?

I think that's a good theory, but I was out of warranty for my replacement which is why I chose to upgrade. Otherwise I would have just had them replace the unit and not upgraded.

I've got an AP1.0 2016 model X with MCU1 that is pretty much fine. I've got nothing enticing me to upgrade or warranty repair. Do you guys think they'll ever come out with MCU3 compatible with our cars?

I know some have mentioned the new refresh is a different resolution and (obvi) horizontal, so there's a good chance it won't be easily swappable into the old cars. But computer chips get cheaper and faster every day, so maybe the MCU2 of next year or the following will maybe be better? Or cheaper?

I know i have limited benefit from getting MCU2 wrt autopilot stuff. My feeling right now is to wait since all is well, and see if something better comes along. I need to check to see if the emmc recall fix has an end date or mileage after which they won't do it...

Sorry for the somewhat nebulous comment. I guess seeing if anyone else is in this boat and if there's a downside to waiting.

Reactions: tsxl and elee888
Is the eMMC recall ongoing for cars that don't quite have issues yet? I have an MCU1 car, has been getting non-responsive issues that resolved with a reset, which happens almost daily. My service center refuses to replace the eMMC until there's an issue that a reset won't fix. Should I press it or try a different service center?

Is the eMMC recall ongoing for cars that don't quite have issues yet? I have an MCU1 car, has been getting non-responsive issues that resolved with a reset, which happens almost daily. My service center refuses to replace the eMMC until there's an issue that a reset won't fix. Should I press it or try a different service center?
I think your experience is shared by others. My buddy's 2018 AP2 MCU1 is becoming increasingly problematic and his SC is dragging their feet fixing it, even logging in remotely, clearing memory, etc.

So yeah, if you aren't having issues, your option is pretty much pay to upgrade or wait and see.

For folks with some intermittent issues like yourself, well, let us know if shopping for a more amicable SC gets you the fix...

As of 4/30 Tesla is only ~3.3% of the way through fixing the vehicles that are recalled for the eMMC.

1623283012125.png

The recall has this note:
NOTE: During the initial rollout of this recall bulletin, parts will be constrained. Owners were informed the only action they need to take to address all potential safety concerns is to confirm their vehicle is running software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release, and they will receive further notification when proactive replacement parts are available.

So it seems like they are allocating the limited parts to vehicles that have actually failed. (Which it sounds like yours is getting close to.)

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
As of 4/30 Tesla is only ~3.3% of the way through fixing the vehicles that are recalled for the eMMC.

View attachment 671413

The recall has this note:

So it seems like they are allocating the limited parts to vehicles that have actually failed. (Which it sounds like yours is getting close to.)
Wow the fact that they've only replaced 3.3% of the eMMCs is interesting indeed. I wonder if that includes the MCU2 upgrades.

My somewhat uneducated guess is they have no use for those original eMMC parts once these recalled cars are fixed, and knowing that many folks will go straight to MCU2, they likely do not have or ever plan to have 100,000 more eMMCs for the MCU1's, and eventually that stock will be consumed and it will be simpler to just upgrade everyone to MCU2 (or what i predict will be MCU2.1, 2.2, 2.3, made from faster, cheaper parts, possibly separate from the MCU3) in the future. They might continue to adjust the price using some kind of cost benefit averaging as the eMMC stock dwindles and the MCU2 stock increases.

Take all that with a grain of salt, of course. It's sheer speculation.

Wow the fact that they've only replaced 3.3% of the eMMCs is interesting indeed. I wonder if that includes the MCU2 upgrades.

My somewhat uneducated guess is they have no use for those original eMMC parts once these recalled cars are fixed, and knowing that many folks will go straight to MCU2, they likely do not have or ever plan to have 100,000 more eMMCs for the MCU1's, and eventually that stock will be consumed and it will be simpler to just upgrade everyone to MCU2 (or what i predict will be MCU2.1, 2.2, 2.3, made from faster, cheaper parts, possibly separate from the MCU3) in the future. They might continue to adjust the price using some kind of cost benefit averaging as the eMMC stock dwindles and the MCU2 stock increases.

Take all that with a grain of salt, of course. It's sheer speculation.
The eMMC is on the processor daughtercard, and I don't think that the processors are made anymore. (i.e. they can't get new daughtercards to use in the recall.) So they need all of the old ones back so they can be refurbished with a new eMMC chip.

The eMMC is on the processor daughtercard, and I don't think that the processors are made anymore. (i.e. they can't get new daughtercards to use in the recall.) So they need all of the old ones back so they can be refurbished with a new eMMC chip.
Then their eMMC swap should go a lot faster than this. There are quite a few owners who went for the MCU2 upgrades, leaving their MCU1s for refurbishment and ready for swapouts to those who are sticking with MCU1. Then the process repeats.

Then their eMMC swap should go a lot faster than this. There are quite a few owners who went for the MCU2 upgrades, leaving their MCU1s for refurbishment and ready for swapouts to those who are sticking with MCU1. Then the process repeats.
Assuming they make money even on the discounted MCU2 upgrades, it seems like it would make them the most money, and cost them the least in recall losses to slow their roll and encourage as many people to upgrade to MCU2 as possible.

In theory even if they keep reducing the MCU2 upgrade cost down to their actual wholesale costs (plus labor), it would save them money considering the economies of scale compared to the complete loss on labor and parts for recall repairs.

Hence it logically follows that the more people that refuse to upgrade and wait for recall repairs, the more likely MCU 2 upgrades will further go down in cost to discourage those recall repairs, at some basement level of upgrade cost..

Can anyone opine on how much it likely actually costs Tesla to install an MCU 2 on a vehicle? I imagine the mechanics make some ~75-150 an hour, maybe less..the internal cost of MCU 2...i have no idea..$200? $600? $1000?. I'm always surprised by actual costs of things. Like how you can make an iPhone 12 for $370 with cutting edge components and assembly is pretty mind boggling imo.

Reactions: elee888
Assuming they make money even on the discounted MCU2 upgrades, it seems like it would make them the most money, and cost them the least in recall losses to slow their roll and encourage as many people to upgrade to MCU2 as possible.

In theory even if they keep reducing the MCU2 upgrade cost down to their actual wholesale costs (plus labor), it would save them money considering the economies of scale compared to the complete loss on labor and parts for recall repairs.

Hence it logically follows that the more people that refuse to upgrade and wait for recall repairs, the more likely MCU 2 upgrades will further go down in cost to discourage those recall repairs, at some basement level of upgrade cost..

Can anyone opine on how much it likely actually costs Tesla to install an MCU 2 on a vehicle? I imagine the mechanics make some ~75-150 an hour, maybe less..the internal cost of MCU 2...i have no idea..$200? $600? $1000?. I'm always surprised by actual costs of things. Like how you can make an iPhone 12 for $370 with cutting edge components and assembly is pretty mind boggling imo.
If Tesla is paying their mechanics $150 an hour I will be applying for a job ASAP. Yes, they may charge that, but you asked what it actually costs Tesla. I'd be surprised if Tesla is paying their techs more than $30 per hour. Of course some locations may be a touch higher due to cost of living. No idea what materials would cost though.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I had my 2017 MX MCU1 and AP2.5 upgraded to MCU2/AP3 in Nov. 2020 for $2,500. A few weeks ago, I go out for a drive and the car displays are completely black after opening driver side door. After getting inside and pressing / tapping the MCU screen and scroll wheels, nothing is happening. However I notice the air is running, the mirrors will adjust and all signals (stop and turn signal) are working and I can adjust the air via the steering wheel. The vehicle will also go into Drive, Reverse and Park (just can't see it). Decided to do a reboot of the vehicle to see if that would help. Didn't work. Called Tesla support and they go through the normal workflow and suggested a reboot. Rebooted again, didn't work. Was told by Tesla support I should create a ticket with the service center. Created appointment with SC but decided to go by to see if they could take a look. Make a long story short, Tesla SC was really helpful and was willing to work with me. After troubleshooting the issue for a few hours they ended keeping my car for 3 days but provided me a loaner (Model S 100D). Per the SC tech, my MCU2 failed and had to be replaced. They did all of the work and replacement under warranty.

In regards to the recall, I submitted the form to be reimbursed about 4-6 months ago and was denied.

I had my 2017 MX MCU1 and AP2.5 upgraded to MCU2/AP3 in Nov. 2020 for $2,500. ... Created appointment with SC but decided to go by to see if they could take a look. Make a long story short, Tesla SC was really helpful and was willing to work with me. After troubleshooting the issue for a few hours they ended keeping my car for 3 days but provided me a loaner (Model S 100D). Per the SC tech, my MCU2 failed and had to be replaced. They did all of the work and replacement under warranty.

In regards to the recall, I submitted the form to be reimbursed about 4-6 months ago and was denied.
Great outcome. Did they mention if the warranty was 1 yr? I did the same 2 upgrades in June 2020 for our 2017 MX MCU1 but AP2. I was denied the recall as well.