Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall vs. MCU2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a non Tech pkg 2014 model S, no nav or trip planning, still 3g. Tech says I'll gain both and LTE by doing the mcu2 upgrade for 2k cdn. I plan to keep the car another 4 years minimum. No brainer to do it? Any chance it gets cheaper?
No brainer indeed. The UI will feel fresh and fast. With that timeframe it is well worth the price. 2k cnd=1600 USD. I paid 3,126 cdn (2500 USD) and would do it again. Price now is 1500 USD (500 USD for AM IIRC).

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I had the recall chip upgrade done two months ago on my 2016 after the typical glitches and sluggishness issues. However, the performance continued to deteriorate afterwards. I brought the car in again today and was told that their remote diagnosis showed “no hardware issues” for the chip and they talked me into getting the infotainment upgrade for $1500. Does that make sense?

I had the recall chip upgrade done two months ago on my 2016 after the typical glitches and sluggishness issues. However, the performance continued to deteriorate afterwards. I brought the car in again today and was told that their remote diagnosis showed “no hardware issues” for the chip and they talked me into getting the infotainment upgrade for $1500. Does that make sense?
Glitches and sluggishness shouldn’t be a feature of an eMMC chip going bad. It’s the blank screens that are a good indication.

In the case of just replacing the eMMC chip, you’re still stuck with the old CPU, and therefore sluggish speed. Just like a new laptop is faster than a 5 year old one, a newer infotainment ‘MCU2’ is faster than the old one.

The eMMC chip is in reality a memory storage device, just like your camera‘s SD card, and doesn’t really affect speed of your infotainment.

Reactions: scottf200
@wooter made some good points. One of the issues with the MCU1 is that the speed of it was good at the time but as they add more features to the new OTA FW that is bound to add processing requirements. Thus your MCU1 will appear to get 'slower' over time.

You will NOT regret getting the MCU2 upgrade. I paid $2500 early on and would do it again in a heartbeat as it made that much difference in the cars experience for me.

Indeed, I got my upgrade in 2020, and since then my car felt brand new. I really question when I should replace my car with a newer model, even if it’s now 5 years old and 110K miles.
Although I’m not looking to replace my 2017 MX100D, I often wonder how our older Xs are going to be able to handle the tech involved with the FSD commands. That’s the biggest concern I have and the biggest reason I can’t wait to get the beta firmware - to see how my old car deals with the millions of bits of info coming at it at once. I’ve got the camera retrofit, MCU2, and (naturally) HW3. This should be interesting…

I have a 2014 model S (out of warranty), pre-AP.
The Tesla app says my eMMC is healthy, but I want to do the repair before bigger issues. Any way to actually get it done?

Alternatively, I’d like to upgrade to MCU2 if I can get a good price (I heard some people paid $1,000 if the eMMC recall wasn’t done). Is this still current? My app does not show a MCU2 upgrade option

I don't have "-A" in my sheet only "-B" for AP1.
Would you mind confirming the cost? Is it $250 less (1250)? See row 2 vs 3 above as an example.
Would you mind confirming that you are or are not getting a new screen from them?
Is your spreadsheet linked anywhere for public view? I put in a request for an mcu upgrade and very suspicious on the price I was quoted.

Info I gathered back when this was a hot topic. HTH

t0tRfLi.jpg

Is your spreadsheet linked anywhere for public view? I put in a request for an mcu upgrade and very suspicious on the price I was quoted.
It isn't but is simply the info above.

Is the price you got different from what they have on their upgrade webpage???

Owners of compatible vehicles can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation. This upgrade is available for
{*} $2,250 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for
{*} $1,750 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles.
Owners may confirm Autopilot Computer type by selecting ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ > ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ on the touchscreen.

It isn't but is simply the info above.

Is the price you got different from what they have on their upgrade webpage???

Surprisingly so, confirmed with the service reps over chat that this included mcu 2 upgrade and screen replacements. Still think the rep got it incorrect, but hoping to profit off this mistake with a heavy discount. $540 for upgrade on a 2015 model s

Attachments

• IMG_1630.png
    IMG_1630.png
    618 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: scottf200
Surprisingly so, confirmed with the service reps over chat that this included mcu 2 upgrade and screen replacements. Still think the rep got it incorrect, but hoping to profit off this mistake with a heavy discount. $540 for upgrade on a 2015 model s

That's not the price for the MCU upgrade...that's the price to upgrade your radio. The $500 is listed in that section, and the part number corresponds to the Sirius tuner module. According to the estimate, your upgrade to MCU2 is free - or for a TBD price surprise on pickup.

Reactions: m5james
If you're looking to drive your X on the cheap and are satisfied with the speed of your media control unit, you could just hold out until the recall.
You have a link for this recall that's coming? I've got an MCU1 still, I've used MCU2...it's nice and all but not worth the $2250 it'd cost me IMHO. I'd rather wait until Tesla decides it's more cost effective to upgrade MCU1 users vs paying engineers to keep updating an older system.

You have a link for this recall that's coming?…
You’re quoting a post that is two years old. The recall is ongoing to repair faulty memory chips with new larger chips that wear less in order to extend the lifespan of the board.

There isn’t a large inventory of MCU1 parts. Tesla is using old boards they get back from cars that are upgraded to MCU2 to keep an inventory for the recall.