Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC Repair is now covered for 8yrs 100k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Muzzman1

Feb 8, 2014
Los Angeles

I just got this email, which also means people like me that paid for the replacement, get out $ back!

Nice that Tesla did the right thing!
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 2.04.27 PM.png

But only if you do the diagnosing yourself. Service center told me I had to keep a logbook from here on out of all the times the MCU freezes/restarts/crashes, before they will cover the repair under warranty.

The real kick to the junk was then getting an estimate for the repair with a $90 diagnostic fee. I guess I'm going to pay myself?

Feds asks Tesla to recall 158,000 vehicles over failing touchscreen displays – TechCrunch
U.S. safety regulators have asked Tesla to recall 158,000 vehicles over media control unit failures that cause the touchscreen displays to stop working, following a months-long investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The Office of Defects Investigation unit of the agency determined that the failure of the media control unit is a safety issue since functions like the backup camera and defogging and defrosting setting controls stop working as well as audible chimes, which are used when the turn signal indicator is activated and to alert drivers while the vehicle’s Autopilot advanced driver assistance system is engaged. Reports of the MCUs suddenly failing have been a topic for years in Tesla forums.

The failure is caused when the memory storage in a flash drive used in the used in these vehicles reaches capacity, investigators concluded. The only solution is to replace the physical piece of hardware. Vehicles affected include Model S sedans built between 2012 and 2018 as well as Model X SUVs in 2016 through 2018.

Glad this is finally resolved for the people plagued with the issue (at least in the USA, not sure how it affects other countries). Hopefully this is a lesson to Tesla and they are more careful in future vehicles about eMMC.

Nothing is resolved yet. NHTSA only asked Tesla to perform a recall. Tesla can choose to perform the recall as requested or they can respond, by 1/27, and explain why they think that they don't need to.

Nothing is resolved yet. NHTSA only asked Tesla to perform a recall. Tesla can choose to perform the recall as requested or they can respond, by 1/27, and explain why they think that they don't need to.
I guess technically not, but has there been a history of an automaker successfully disputing a mandatory recall (which I presume this falls under given it was the result of a NHTSA investigation and request)?

Reactions: DanCar
I received this email and got the repair done but now it won't connect to cellular unless I do the two button reset. It will stay connected until the next time I drive it usually the next day. Anyone else have this problem or know fix?

My car is older and only has 3G but has consistently worked until this repair.

I received this email and got the repair done but now it won't connect to cellular unless I do the two button reset. It will stay connected until the next time I drive it usually the next day. Anyone else have this problem or know fix?

My car is older and only has 3G but has consistently worked until this repair.
Just set it for always connected. That did the trick for me.

Apparently that was not the issue. Cellular still not connecting and now navigation is not working with "MCU_w007 Navigation unavailable" error. Scheduled a service appointment.

Also, noticed the always connected details says it remains connected when in energy saving mode but not sure it changes anything when energy saving is not turned on.

Apparently that was not the issue. Cellular still not connecting and now navigation is not working with "MCU_w007 Navigation unavailable" error. Scheduled a service appointment.

Also, noticed the always connected details says it remains connected when in energy saving mode but not sure it changes anything when energy saving is not turned on.

Did Tesla performed the repair?