Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC replacement - how long did yours take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an appointment two weeks ago for 1:15pm next Thursday to replace eMMC. Today a message from service says "The goal is to have it completed before 1:15 on [the following day]."

WTF? They have the part and they scheduled two weeks out, yet they want me to drop off at 1:15 when, "Your vehicle will go into queue for service that day." I said Not Acceptable and got a first-thing appointment for the 24th at 7:45am and they still say "We will need at least the day to fix".

I dropped off at opening (similar 7:45-8am ish) and the app was updated at 4:55 pm to say service was complete (center closed at 5pm, so couldn't pick up same day).

By picking a Thursday appointment, it would not surprise me at all for them to not complete (or mark complete in the system) until Friday, and depending on time-of-day and your travel ability, you may not have the car back until after the weekend and not have Uber credits to get to the service center (which was my experience, documented in another thread).

Took a day for mine. The car sat for the entire day from 7:30am and work began the following day. When I received the car, a bubble in the screen became very apparent. After a long back and forth with the most obtuse service agent, they verified that the screen did not have a bubble when they received the car, and so they agreed to fix the screen...took them less than an hour to fix it.

Next week I'm having the MCU replaced with MCU2 as a solution to 3G losing support, and the fact that my MCU fails to load on start about 30% of the time after having the eMMC replaced. I never had these issues before V10.

Got an appointment two weeks ago for 1:15pm next Thursday to replace eMMC. Today a message from service says "The goal is to have it completed before 1:15 on [the following day]."

WTF? They have the part and they scheduled two weeks out, yet they want me to drop off at 1:15 when, "Your vehicle will go into queue for service that day." I said Not Acceptable and got a first-thing appointment for the 24th at 7:45am and they still say "We will need at least the day to fix".
Sorry. Mine took three days.
It is major surgery.
Grin and bear it or chose not to have it done.
Your choice. They are not fond of doing this one. They have to reload your entire software.
Mine wouldn't accept the maps and they had to reload three times and get Fremont engineers involved. It's not like changing an air filter.

I can say the improvement in the refresh speed is markedly noticeable.

Sorry. Mine took three days.
It is major surgery.
Grin and bear it or chose not to have it done.
Your choice. They are not fond of doing this one. They have to reload your entire software.
Mine wouldn't accept the maps and they had to reload three times and get Fremont engineers involved. It's not like changing an air filter.

I can say the improvement in the refresh speed is markedly noticeable.
This "serious operation" takes 2-3 hours when replacing the entire Tegra board (and this is exactly what it is), no one in Tesla will restore your user data in the car in case of serious emmc failures

I lost ALL my user data, profiles, Homelink, Favorites, Radio Stations. It's like getting a new car back. A huge nuisance as I was under the impression that my data could have been saved before the chip was exchanged. Very poor experience.

This "serious operation" takes 2-3 hours when replacing the entire Tegra board (and this is exactly what it is), no one in Tesla will restore your user data in the car in case of serious emmc failures
It's a 2-3 hour job, when everything goes correctly, which I understand from several is rare.
It took three tries, three days and Fremont assistance to reload maps. None of my data was affected. Be prepared.

It's a 2-3 hour job, when everything goes correctly, which I understand from several is rare.
It took three tries, three days and Fremont assistance to reload maps. None of my data was affected. Be prepared.
And what can go wrong in the official representation? Replacing the tegra board (no one will do yours exactly on the spot - there is no one and no time) and the procedure for restoring the contents through the toolbox from ic. 2 hours. Replacement cards do not touch the tegra - they lie in the storage external to the tegra - emms or microsd

Help Fremont? Armless and brainless performers. I advise you not to go there again. Tesla representative offices have all the necessary software for full-fledged quick data recovery.

Help Fremont? Armless and brainless performers. I advise you not to go there again. Tesla representative offices have all the necessary software for full-fledged quick data recovery.
Fremont engineers have been extremely helpful to me over the years.

They diagnosed a failing motor from an audio recording of my 2014 Model S and Orlando replaced it.

They diagnosed a bad main battery in my first Model X, and Orlando replaced it at 17k miles.

And they got up at 0545 on a Fri with my 2019 Raven to give the Orlando staff the Raven software code, so the Blue Raven could set the quickest SUV record World Record by beating the Lamborghini Urus at PBIR that afternoon.

Their persistence in getting the eMMC from 8gb to 64gb and getting it operational is greatly
appreciated. It's an 8 year old vehicle with 116, 000 miles. Not anything you would ever imagine Ford, GM or others doing, especially with a Model 3 loaner for three days.

I appreciate the Tesla engineers in Fremont.

Last edited:
I dropped off at opening (similar 7:45-8am ish) and the app was updated at 4:55 pm to say service was complete (center closed at 5pm, so couldn't pick up same day).

By picking a Thursday appointment, it would not surprise me at all for them to not complete (or mark complete in the system) until Friday, and depending on time-of-day and your travel ability, you may not have the car back until after the weekend and not have Uber credits to get to the service center (which was my experience, documented in another thread).
Well, they got the emmc replaced in the space of 8 hours, but they said they needed another 3 hr next day to update/reload software.

At the same time, I got a notice on the app confirming my service appointment on March 24. What? I called back and found out that they had destroyed the Obeche wood dash trim getting the display out, so had ordered replacement wood panels to be installed during the new appointment.