Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EMMC replacement/screen bubbles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A-pgh

Mar 30, 2020
Exactly 30 days ago to the day, I brought my 2015 S in for eMMC replacement of the recalled part. Fine. Now, 30 days later, my touch screen has the infamous "bubbles." Okay. I get it. Everyone has trouble with the bubbles. And most, if not all, have had no recent work done behind the screen. But it just seems so coincidental that they removed my screen to replace the eMMC, and now I have to fix the screen to the tune of $800. Is this just me being paranoid? Is it possible that the two events are related? I'm willing to fix the screen. In fact I'm scheduled to fix it. But it does make me wonder

you can see it as a coincidence but its more likely causation.

When the screen is removed to pull out the eMMC stress is relieved from it around the mounting surface, that release of pressure could be what caused it to start leaking afterwards.
If a new screen is $800 just spend another $700 and get MCU2 its well worth it.

Upvote 0
I'm unfortunately in the same boat. I did the eMMC recall and LTE upgrade about 2 weeks ago, and then in the middle of a long road trip I started getting "center screen unavailable" errors and it started leaking. Prior to the service, the center screen was problem-free other than some slowness and an occasional reboot. I was quoted $900 for just a new center screen, so MCU2 seems like the only viable option.

Upvote 0
Exact same thing happened to me last month. Car is 5 years old, 140k miles, *never* had any bubble issues until they took apart the dash to do the emmc repair. Way too much of a coincidence.
YES! My car was FINE. I left it at the SC overnight for the emmc replacement. Picked it up this morning with the bubbles (pic)! They insist they had nothing to do with it and won't fix. Livid.

Attachments

• air bubbles.jpg
    air bubbles.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 618
Upvote 0
Yes, I encountered the same problem, but with my Model S driver's screen. In fact, I saw the bubbles as I picked up the car from Tesla service and showed the service technician who assured me the eMMC recall repair does not impact the driver screen. However, I later researched the process and given the center screen is part of the replacement, the whole dashboard trim is removed . Even though my driver's screen had no bubbles when I dropped the car off, I even had taken a picture of the screen to show in a service chat just before the visit to ask them about a "headlight out message" they still claimed the bubbles were not caused by them even though they happened while in the service center's possession. All I have been offered is a slightly reduced MCU2 upgrade. So Telsa knocks roughly $800 off the value of my car for a recall that did not resolve anything noticeably wrong, and my only resolution is to spend $1400 on an upgrade that will not provide significant value, and take away over air radio. It's very disappointing given as customer's we are captive to their service centers and there does not appear to be much recourse when they damage your car on a service visit.

Upvote 0
Same problem here. Screen has been perfect - I wasn’t even aware this problem existed until today. Dropped the vehicle off for EMMC replacement and saw the bubble as soon as I got in the car to leave the dealership. Service Manager and Dealer Manager couldn’t care less - both were rude and completely uncaring. Said it’s known problem and car is out of warranty so nothing they could/would do, and what do I expect in an 8 year old car (my car is 6 years old with only 40k miles - so I guess they’re as good at maths as they are at their jobs). Absolutely appalling - and as others have pointed out, apparently zero recourse. When did this company become so bad?

In the words of R.E.M.: “Don’t Go Back to Rockville” - ‘cos they absolutely SUCK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since damage to the instrument cluster is clearly a safety concern, I would encourage anybody affected by this problem (delamination, “bubbles”, etc.) to report it to the NHTSA. It only takes 2 minutes to file a report.

Last edited:
Upvote 0