Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC shadyness + Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC,

Less than 2 months ago I brought in my Tesla for service (I have to drive about 250mi+ away to get to a service center, so it's typically a 2+ day ordeal and not super fun since I end up paying for 2-3 hotel nights out of pocket in addition to whatever maintenance will cost). Regardless, I had them service for several issues and also asked to replace the eMMC chip per the recall since I was told they prefer to do it at the service center vs mobile tech.

Per my maintenance receipt, it says:
"Performed a MCU test on the infotainment. No issues are present no need to replace the enmc. Correction: SB-21-21-001 Not Applicable; Upgraded eMMC Already Installed"

Last week, the eMMC chip failed and possibly along with the navigation card on the unit as well (that's still to be determined, but it's highly likely). The vehicle failed in a way where it took the tech 4+ hours to get the vehicle to a drivable state since the vehicle lost blinker + backup camera support (otherwise I was told they would tow it).

Fast forward a week, now I was sent a letter via service center app asking for a $213 fee per my extended warranty agreement to come out and replace the eMMC chip. It's likely the SD card for navigation needs to be replaced as well, so Tesla is using that as an excuse for the fee.

How is it legal for a company to say the chip is working "and upgraded" when it clearly wasn't and is on a recall. In addition, the only path provided forward now too is if I pay out of pocket to replace both the eMMC and the nav chip, which seems rather unfair given this likely could all be eMMC related.

Last edited:
Reactions: elee888 and croman
I guess what makes you think that they lied, vs the upgraded eMMc, whenever was installed, failing again? Sounds to me, like it was working during the last 2 months between your service visit and now, so maybe coincidentally failed?

I guess what makes you think that they lied, vs the upgraded eMMc, whenever was installed, failing again? Sounds to me, like it was working during the last 2 months between your service visit and now, so maybe coincidentally failed?
If the eMMC was replaced per the recall two months ago I wouldn't be in this position or subject to the $200 fee to get this replaced during maintenance. To me, this would be like saying, oh the airbag in your call is recalled, but per our testing it should be fine, and wham the thing blows up in your face. I don't know of any auto manufacturer that has a recall but only replaces it only after it fails...

If the eMMC was replaced per the recall two months ago I wouldn't be in this position or subject to the $200 fee to get this replaced during maintenance. To me, this would be like saying, oh the airbag in your call is recalled, but per our testing it should be fine, and wham the thing blows up in your face. I don't know of any auto manufacturer that has a recall but only replaces it only after it fails...
Uhhhhh…just because you received a replacement chip does not mean it is guaranteed to work for life, for years, or even months.

Fast forward a week, now I was sent a letter via service center app asking for a $213 fee per my extended warranty agreement to come out and replace the eMMC chip. It's likely the SD card for navigation needs to be replaced as well, so Tesla is using that as an excuse for the fee.

How is it legal for a company to say the chip is working "and upgraded" when it clearly wasn't and is on a recall. In addition, the only path provided forward now too is if I pay out of pocket to replace both the eMMC and the nav chip, which seems rather unfair given this likely could all be eMMC related.

It doesn't really matter what the state of the eMMC was, as in your case you would have to pay the $200 deductible for the nav chip/SD card regardless. So if they fix the eMMC and that at the same time for one deductible your end cost is the same.

Uhhhhh…just because you received a replacement chip does not mean it is guaranteed to work for life, for years, or even months.
I never received a replacement eMMC chip; the car has the original chip. Tesla deamed it fully functional and decided to not replace it because it "looked ok". Again, I have no idea how you can get by not replacing a recalled part because "it looks ok". That's not how any other auto manufacturer handles recalls.

I never received a replacement eMMC chip; the car has the original chip. Tesla deamed it fully functional and decided to not replace it because it "looked ok". Again, I have no idea how you can get by not replacing a recalled part because "it looks ok". That's not how any other auto manufacturer handles recalls.
I suspect it is more, "we don't have enough supply of replacement modules at this time and since yours still checks out OK so we won't be replacing it at this time." (They specifically called out the lack of supply in their notice to the NHTSA about the recall.)

Last edited:
Reactions: rickyjb
I recently had my eMMC replaced, and the process wiped out my trip meters and HomeLink settings, among other things. I would think that if your eMMC had been replaced before, you’d know. And yes, they should have replaced it whether the original chip was still working or not.

Reactions: elee888
You are confusing some of us. Look at your original post, where you quoted the Tesla notes on the service receipt. Per notes, “UPGRADED chip already installed.” Here you say the car has the original chip!!

That’s not how your original post reads.

If they did not replace it previously then they owe you a new one. If they replaced it, and the replacement failed several months later, that’s just unlucky.

You are confusing some of us. Look at your original post, where you quoted the Tesla notes on the service receipt. Per notes, “UPGRADED chip already installed.” Here you say the car has the original chip!!
That's why I'm super upset. When the tech came out to get the car back into a drivable state, they were like.... Yeah even though it says it is, it isn't. It's the original.

Hey TMC,

Less than 2 months ago I brought in my Tesla for service (I have to drive about 250mi+ away to get to a service center, so it's typically a 2+ day ordeal and not super fun since I end up paying for 2-3 hotel nights out of pocket in addition to whatever maintenance will cost). Regardless, I had them service for several issues and also asked to replace the eMMC chip per the recall since I was told they prefer to do it at the service center vs mobile tech.

"Performed a MCU test on the infotainment. No issues are present no need to replace the enmc. Correction: SB-21-21-001 Not Applicable; Upgraded eMMC Already Installed"

Last week, the eMMC chip failed and possibly along with the navigation card on the unit as well (that's still to be determined, but it's highly likely). The vehicle failed in a way where it took the tech 4+ hours to get the vehicle to a drivable state since the vehicle lost blinker + backup camera support (otherwise I was told they would tow it).

tesla service are rip-offs

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi and elee888
Hey TMC,

hey everybody im fairly new to this forum and owning a Tesla got a 13 S85 23600mi as a gift on 5/2/2021 had to go to Vegas to receive it. I had only been in one for about 10min years ago never even drove one. in 2011 when I saw, learned about the Tesla MS preorders 10k in less than 10 seconds i was sold but the problem was my income bracket middle at best lower mostly class so ever having a Tesla was a daydream that was always in the back of my head. im going to keep this short. tomorrow is my scheduled appt. so thats when this story can go in alot of different ways..I Have nothing too loose. its based upon a SC specifically in orange county CA. so far 3 workers are involved one is supposedly a manager named Carmel dont know her last name yet, Chris Bello the first service writer for my eMMC recall on 6/8. I have been doing business in just about every kind you can think of (nothing weird) since the 7th grade thousands of deals I have got burned lots of times but I never burned nobody. These people at the service center are making up lies on top of Lies. I can't wait to see what the outcome is going to be tomorrow because in my book you don't lie and people off especially your customers of the boss you report to who is worth $160b it really doesn't matter how much he's worth these people AR done. And it's all a civil matter my Heritage is mostly Italian. that being said no horse heads will be involved but MCU's and instrument clusters can't be ruled out. btw do you notice that they don't list the items/part# on that upgrade package $1500+ tax i called Carmel out on that she couldn't give a real reply. Ever since May 2nd 2021 I was Reborn addicted to Tesla I've learned so much more about IT in less than two months than i did going through k-12 I now know what I want to do/be in my life. Nobody is going to stop me and get in my way. California is the Golden state I was born in westminster, Tesla fremont. There really is a Golden ticket but not for a tour of a chocolate factory it's called a California tax exemption certificate and its Gold because of my Tessa was a gift from The Silver State of Nevada no tax on gifts. that Tesla is a everlasting gift it keeps on giving in unimaginable ways silver to gold to who knows whats next oh rhats right tomorrow. I cant wait. I know I'm not letting down not even a free upgrade and a apology for lie after lie with a smile on there face will I be satisfied. Michael Puma 714-696-1369 I hope people can see things somewhat my way. you can file complaints to the NHTSB and the BBB see how far you get with those groups or you can hop on and join the ride with me. remember nothing to loose. unimaginable gains!

Attachments

• 20210526_142128.jpg
    20210526_142128.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 268
  • Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi