Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emoticons not displaying... at least manual ones...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Safari on my iPad (iOS 10.3.1) I started seeing the grey boxes instead of emoticons in many threads on TMC, starting sometime within the past week.

Then I found this thread... lots of grey boxes. I compared to Safari on my Mac (OS 10.11.6) and to Safari on my iPhone (also iOS 10.3.1) but the emoticons display correctly on both of those . So for some reason only a problem on the iPad. AFAIK there's been no update to Safari on either platform in the timeframe these grey boxes started showing up

I do have a blocker in Safari on both iPhone and iPad (same on both, have been running for many months no trouble, and no recent changes to config). So today on my iPad as a test I did a "reload without content blockers" on this page, and when the page refreshed the emoticons reappeared in place of the grey boxes. After that I reloaded some other threads where I'd seen the grey boxes with blocker back on and emoticons remain correctly displayed now on iPad/Safari. Not sure if just a coincidence and something else happened to change on the site today...

Hm... that was one of the first things I tried (making sure content filters weren't the culprit), and it was still broken on my iPhone this AM. but now it's working in FF and on my phone.

Something has updated the graphics file, if that was the cause. Or something else changed. Who knows. No changes to my phone or FF (52.0.2 32 bit).

Been using Chrome just for TMC, which wasn't bad because it flew... :) Now to decide if I go back to a tab for TMC or what....

Yea! I too see emoticons in ie11 again. ( as well as Chrome and Edge )
Thanks if you made that happen.

Oddly, iPad through Safari now showing the gray boxes, but when going through the Google app, Smilies show up (?) :confused:

any further thoughts on the cause of this?

today I noticed the emoticons appearing as grey boxes this time in Safari on my MacBook Pro (Mac OS 10.12.4, Safari 10.1).
Simply refreshing the page and all the correct emoticons appeared. (nothing to do with reloading without blockers this time, as I mentioned before with my iPad)

Quickly checked my iPhone and iPad on the same webpage and everything displayed correctly. Strange.

Only answer that makes any sense is the icon file size and it must have been shrunk back for some applications. I have no problems again/still on iOS Safari but recall reading the original 'large file' issue did affect OS X Safari. Sorry can't be of concrete help. I don't even know what fixed the other platforms as the only public thing I can find (FF 52) is not at all what fixed it for me.