TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EMP and EV Cars

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SATedeschi, May 25, 2016.

1. SATedeschi

SATedeschi Member

Has Tesla developed any protection against an EMP blast? If one occurs naturally or terrorist we would have tin cans. Sorry of this sounds paranoid but hoping there is some shielding.

2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

• Informative x 1
  3. jeffreys

jeffreys Member

Do you think the vehicle you are driving now (or were driving before you bought a Tesla Motors vehicle) will do any better? Modern vehicles are useless without their computers and other electronics.

• Like x 4
  4. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Pretty much any car from the past 20 years has a computer of some sort that would be destroyed by an EMP, thus rendering the car totally inert. Most electronics these days have minimal shielding for electromagnetic interference, but it wouldn't be enough to thwart a true EMP.

There's just one thing about EMPs, though: unless the terrorist have some sort of super scientist on their side, currently the only way to create a large scale EMP is through the detonation of a nuclear bomb (the new Ocean's 11 is science fiction in that regard). And that EMP even then wouldn't really extend far past the immediate blast zone before becoming too weak to bother basic shielded electronics.

In short: yes, you're being paranoid over an incredibly negligible risk that if it did occur we'd have much bigger problems on our hands (like your car likely being destroyed by said nuclear blast).

• Like x 1
  5. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

Yes, if someone detonates a nuclear weapon in the atmosphere, you'll have bigger things to worry about than your car!

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. SATedeschi

SATedeschi Member

7. SATedeschi

SATedeschi Member

I agree, I was kiddin more on a terrorist EMP but a lighting hit would qualify. I was wondering what damage would occur. In a standard combustion car the damage would be a lot less I would presume.