Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Employee Reservations Beginning July 28

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I srill don't understand why the 30 would be that interested in the 3. These are folks that either have chauffeurs or drive much higher quality cars, why would they be interested in a 35k compact??
The Model 3 may be considered a "compact" in size, but it's larger than a BMW 3-series and the overall interior volume should be greater. I don't know about chauffeurs, but if one does have a much higher quality car, perhaps that's the one they'd want to keep for the weekends and let the 35k car run up the miles.

I srill don't understand why the 30 would be that interested in the 3. These are folks that either have chauffeurs or drive much higher quality cars, why would they be interested in a 35k compact??
It's not the 30. It's the subsequent

images

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but you seem to be expressing that the logistics of enforcement of "appropriate behavior" should influence whether such behavior should be indicated at all. Put another way, the implication is that "if someone can get away with something I shouldn't bother calling it out as bad." Odd.
Is this some elaborate way of saying that I condone such behaviour? Well I'm not, I'm simply pointing out that it's inevitable given the high demand.

And I can't see the "tax" argument. Why wouldn't the seller report it? Are you saying that Tesla has access to your tax disclosures / tax returns to the gvt?

Reactions: oktane
So curious do all of the Tesla employees who reserved a car get their orders filled first and then it's first come first serve approach to the rest of the reservation holders? if so, how many employees does Tesla have? We have a friend who's a first day reservation holder looking to replace his older Prius and wondering how long he might be waiting.

So curious do all of the Tesla employees who reserved a car get their orders filled first and then it's first come first serve approach to the rest of the reservation holders? if so, how many employees does Tesla have? We have a friend who's a first day reservation holder looking to replace his older Prius and wondering how long he might be waiting.
From the beginning, it's been clearly stated that Tesla/SpaceX employees come first, then Roadster/Model S/Model X owners, then first come, first serve. After the employee deliveries, there will likely be some batching by geo/options, too.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub
Of course employees will be selling for huge profits. Like @oktane said, how in the heck is Tesla going to know that there wasn't a big pile of cash trasferred on the side?

This car has like the longest waiting list in history

Wait! Why would people pay thru the nose for a car that is made to be LESS expensive? Add a few thousand to the cost of a new Model 3 and you could just buy a Model S.

-Randy

If there is no information, then there will be no deliveries. Cars delivered to private owners (including employees) must by Federal law have stickers with information on cost of that specific car and specific options on that car, plus EPA range, safety ratings, etc.
Sure there could be. Just because the info is available doesn't mean they will be announcing it during the event. The people receiving the cars know the info. that's all that matters. I do expect some info to be released, but it may not be everything that everyone seems to expect.

You're making the assumption that only people that receive cars tomorrow will be board members and executives - I don't think that that is the case.

From the beginning, it's been clearly stated that Tesla/SpaceX employees come first, then Roadster/Model S/Model X owners, then first come, first serve. After the employee deliveries, there will likely be some batching by geo/options, too.
I'm hoping that they stick to this also. As a day 1 reservation holder and a current S owner, we have been waiting patiently just like everyone else to get this car. Seems like March 31, 2016 was nearly an eternity ago. Not sure how many current owners there are on the east coast, but my understanding is that we should have priority over non current owners despite our geographical location being further away.

I'm hoping that they stick to this also. As a day 1 reservation holder and a current S owner, we have been waiting patiently just like everyone else to get this car. Seems like March 31, 2016 was nearly an eternity ago. Not sure how many current owners there are on the east coast, but my understanding is that we should have priority over non current owners despite our geographical location being further away.
Don't think anyone has any gripes about an owner who reserved on day 1 getting priority. I think the scenario that makes people somewhat uncomfortable is a Tesla owner who casually tunes in on Friday saying, "Hmm, that's actually a pretty cool car! Ah, what the hell, I'll pick one up. Only have to wait a month or two, after all."

Also, I'm not sure your assessment of priority is how things will play out. It still seems like orders will be batched regionally, and that within regions, owners will get priority. That means they most likely aren't going to make sure every east coast owner has their model 3 before they start delivering to west coast non-owners.

Also, I'm not sure your assessment of priority is how things will play out. It still seems like orders will be batched regionally, and that within regions, owners will get priority. That means they most likely aren't going to make sure every east coast owner has their model 3 before they start delivering to west coast non-owners.

I suspect that as well. Tesla has to balance competing priorities in trying to get vehicles out the door as fast as possible:

1) A sense of fairness among reservation holders waiting in line
2) A want to reward employees and loyal Tesla customers
3) Early vehicles going to people who are less likely to complain publicly about any early QC issues and whose vehicles are conveniently located for repair and analysis for any such issues that crop up.
4) Needing the fewest number of "configurations" at launch time (e.g. no region-specific requirements, such as European-style charge connectors and the like, as well as fewer optional extras)

A regional block system would be a good one to balance these priorities. And wouldn't contradict anything that they've published so far.

True, but why change it at all then? Clearly some purpose.
They don't want ~400,000 (or more) reservation holders all trying to get to their Model 3 My Tesla page all at once tomorrow. By removing the button, they've probably removed over 99% of the possible traffic and can easily reduce the loads on the servers. Yes, the page is still accessible via the URL but I'm sure less than 1% of reservation holders will try that.

Then again, maybe a Configure button or something will show up tomorrow night and it will be obvious that there's a change since there's no button there now.