Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Employee Reservations Beginning July 28

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

geoffreak

Driving My Model 3
Dec 1, 2015
Dallas, TX
From over on r/teslamotors, employees just got this email:

All,

Each employee reservation holder will receive an email the evening of July 28 with details regarding their Model 3 reservation. Deliveries of Model 3 will be generally prioritized by geography, starting with owners registered in California or those taking deliveries at Fremont. Because employees are receiving special priority, all Model 3 cars prioritized to employees must be registered to you or your family member and may not be resold for more than the original price. Reservation holders will agree to these terms when their order is placed.

Please note the following to ensure that you can access your Model 3 reservation on your Tesla account and receive employee priority:

If you placed your Model 3 reservation under your company email address, no action is needed.

If you placed your Model 3 reservation under a personal email address, please log in to your Tesla account and update your “Account Email” to your work email address.

If you have questions regarding your reservation, visit the Tesla Support site. Tesla will send more details on delivery plans, FAQs, and reservation updates after Friday.

Thank you!

If we don't hear the full details from the reveal, we should be hearing from some employees.

How are they going to know and what are they going to do about it? Seems unenforceable to me. Easy to sell for MSRP plus a bag full of cash.
As with the referral program, this employee program is offered in good faith. Those with an inclination to bend or break the rules will do so regardless. However, if an employee is somehow caught doing it, I suspect there will be consequences.

How are they going to know and what are they going to do about it? Seems unenforceable to me. Easy to sell for MSRP plus a bag full of cash.
They would know because each VIN is attached to their account and since they have to use work email should be easy to track. Once you get the car to transfer it to someone else would imply they need to add the car to their account (not sure how to do that to be honest, maybe an existing owner can chime in).

They would know because each VIN is attached to their account and since they have to use work email should be easy to track. Once you get the car to transfer it to someone else would imply they need to add the car to their account (not sure how to do that to be honest, maybe an existing owner can chime in).
I don't think there's a prohibition on reselling the car... just not for a profit. The scenario cited was that an unscrupulous employee may resell the car "on the books" for the same price he/she paid for it, but may ask for some additional cash "off the books".

Reactions: Matias
Of course employees will be selling for huge profits. Like @oktane said, how in the heck is Tesla going to know that there wasn't a big pile of cash trasferred on the side?

This car has like the longest waiting list in history
I suspect that, for every employee who profiteers off the car, an equal if not far greater number will keep theirs and show them off with pride, either because they work for the (affiliated) company that produced the car or they're personally involved in getting the car built.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that they confirm you must have a company email address to get priority.
This seems to dispel a myth that former employees would be getting priority as well.
( Well, unless they got to keep their company email account somehow. )

But we think that employees in mid march 2016 got to order before everyone else, so they may still have reservation date priority.

So:
#1; Current employees validated by company email on reservation.
#2; Ex employees using personal email but got to reserve before March 31st, 2016
#3; Everyone else (priority of proximity to factory, existing Tesla owners)

I find it curious that the "you reserved on (date)" stuff seems to have gone missing from mytesla

With just a few thousand cars forecast for the rest of the quarter, it seems premature to open the design studio to non-employees this week.

On the other hand, if the option pricing is set, and one would think it would be by now, what's the harm in opening up the floodgates to the (only) several thousand existing CA owners who stood in line during Day One?

As well, I'd be surprised if a significant percentage didn't exercise their 6-month deferral option in order to wait for AWD or other added value.