Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Employee who sent $30,000 off email was FIRED!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can read HTML, tesla put the discount on the web page of every new inventory car. That's how the cpo sites get the details. Nothing magical about crawling a web page and putting the contents on your own website. I know I have a uk specific one with twice as many cars as the others as tesla don't list all their cars now and the skill is finding the hidden cars tesla don't list.

Where these things go wrong and where Tesla could be upset is that the discount is with respect to the price when the car was built, NOT the current retail price. This car:

Model S P100D 5YJSB7E41HF192985 | Tesla UK

Is listed as £127,647 after a £26,183 discount. A custom order today would be £133,950. The real discount is only about £6k

So promoting big discounts is actually ms-selling, and that is a reason to be fired. Whether that was the cause here or not is a different matter.

I don't see any facts in support of the allegation that he was fired over the email. However, this thread is 12 pages long so perhaps I missed it. One thing I do know is correlation does not always equal causation. I bet there's a ton more going on than we know about.

While I agree lack of information certainly leaves uncertainties, there was this - not sure of the source:

"Recently, an unauthorized and inaccurate email from a Tesla sales associate was circulated that directly contradicted Tesla’s sales principles." Tesla has responded to why Aaron was separated. End of story. If someone on TMC wants to help Aaron out, they could offer a job to someone who was separated from his previous employment for sending out "unauthorized and inaccurate" communications. That decision would be up to them.

Having to use a 3rd party site or talk to an OA, gives the impression there's something shady going on when Musk claims nobody gets discounts.

Personally, I think they need to standardize their terminology (price adjustment), make all the inventory models available for searching on the Tesla site and clearly explain the reason for the price adjustment.

Indeed. Why hide them?

The logical answer, I guess, would be: they wish to hide them from the website-visiting masses who are hoped to buy at full price? Discounts are displayed for those who look for such things (third-party sites, ask the sales persons etc.)?

Just speculation, of course.

This thread is chock full of speculation based on very little information.

That is always the case when it is not in the interests of one or either party directly involved to be publicly candid about things. Lack of direct information (or unreliability thereof due to biases involved) often leads to a need to seek indirect information, which by nature is often speculative.

That doesn't necessarily mean the indirect information is actually less reliable than direct information. But certainly even both might be misleading or either can be "more right" depending on the circumstances.

Indeed. Why hide them?

The logical answer, I guess, would be: they wish to hide them from the website-visiting masses who are hoped to buy at full price? Discounts are displayed for those who look for such things (third-party sites, ask the sales persons etc.)?

Just speculation, of course.

The reason is about 3 posts higher up, the discount is against the price at time the car was ordered and not against the current custom order price and are therefore inflated with falling new prices. To quote an incorrect discount would be mis-selling

Probably because Tesla/EM always wanted people to believe if you want a Tesla you need to pay MSRP and only those have miles on them get discounted. Even if they discount them they don't want the public to know (online). The Elektrek article probably prompted them to take action.
I really don't get it. The folks who want to get a fully customized vehicle should have to pay full price. If you get something that doesn't have 100% of the desired options and has been lightly used, should be discounted. $30K off is what the market is dictating. Is there any evidence that suggests that the options are that much overpriced that people would be upset to know that inventory models are sold for that kind of discount?

Someone just post a 22k showroom discount on a MX with 500 miles so it does seem up to 30k discount sound right?

There's two factors at play here. Tesla flat out dropped the price of a new custom MXP100D order by $5000, then they included a bunch of options in the base price.

Take Model X P100D 5YJXCDE45HF052861 | Tesla for example. The teslainventory.com site says that car has a $21,500 discount.

A new custom order with more options only costs $151,500, only $3,800 more than the $147,700 price tag on the inventory model. The inventory model is also missing the $1,200 tow package, so the "discount" is only $2,600.

The discounts on inventory models are being overblown by a huge price drop on the P100D trim. People seem to think these discounts mean you're getting ripped off if you order a new custom build today, but that's not the case. What it means is that if you took delivery of any P100D a month ago, then you either paid up to $20,000 more than you could have a month later or paid more and got less options.

There's two factors at play here. Tesla flat out dropped the price of a new custom MXP100D order by $5000, then they included a bunch of options in the base price.

Take Model X P100D 5YJXCDE45HF052861 | Tesla for example. The teslainventory.com site says that car has a $21,500 discount.

A new custom order with more options only costs $151,500, only $3,800 more than the $147,700 price tag on the inventory model. The inventory model is also missing the $1,200 tow package, so the "discount" is only $2,600.

The discounts on inventory models are being overblown by a huge price drop on the P100D trim. People seem to think these discounts mean you're getting ripped off if you order a new custom build today, but that's not the case. What it means is that if you took delivery of any P100D a month ago, then you either paid up to $20,000 more than you could have a month later or paid more and got less options.

I posted similar a couple of days ago. The sales guy may well have lost his job because he was essentially completely wrong telling people they were getting a big discount, the inference being it was against a custom order, when it was a discount against a previous selling price which was much higher at the time.

I posted similar a couple of days ago. The sales guy may well have lost his job because he was essentially completely wrong telling people they were getting a big discount, the inference being it was against a custom order, when it was a discount against a previous selling price which was much higher at the time.
Exactly, if I sell widgets for $150, have 20 in stock and lower the price for newly manufactured widgets to $100, it isn't a bargain when I sell you the 20 from stock for $100. There's a difference between a 3rd party site calling it a discount and an official communication.

I don't want to speculate on why anyone lost their job, but there's also the question of the purpose of the mailing list that was used to communicate that email and if it was authorized for that type of use.

There are more than two factors at play here, that much is obvious. Completely ignoring Tesla's history of discounting inventory beyond obvious math is disingenious and/or ignorant IMO.

There are more than two factors at play when looking at the history of deals available from Tesla. Some of them can not sustain the PR narrative IMO.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krazaak and JonG
The reason is about 3 posts higher up, the discount is against the price at time the car was ordered and not against the current custom order price and are therefore inflated with falling new prices. To quote an incorrect discount would be mis-selling

This may be slightly a case of people talking about two things.

Misselling and getting fired for it, is one thing. Who knows.

All I know is, Tesla has offered deals - definitely has, beyond just the mathematical invetory math.

There are more than two factors at play here, that much is obvious. Completely ignoring Tesla's history of discounting inventory beyond obvious math is disingenious and/or ignorant IMO.

There are more than two factors at play when looking at the history of deals available from Tesla. Some of them can not sustain the PR narrative IMO.

I'll put it another way, a sales guy sending an unauthorised email with incorrect facts that could lead to a claim against my firm for misselling would result in them being sacked for misconduct. Sending an unauthorised email with correct facts is unlikely to get them sacked. Whether this employee was sacked for either of those things is speculation, but if they did the former, they deserve to be sacked.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I'll put it another way, a sales guy sending an unauthorised email with incorrect facts that could lead to a claim against my firm for misselling would result in them being sacked for misconduct.

Agreed.

Sending an unauthorised email with correct facts is unlikely to get them sacked.

I'm not convinced this is the case in a situation where a company would like to hide a certain narrative. In that case even posting true facts might lead to such an outcome.

We know someone for some reason at Tesla feels passionate about the "nobody gets deals" narrative. For whatever reason. In contrast, a lot of us feel the narrative does not reflect reality.

This may be slightly a case of people talking about two things.

Misselling and getting fired for it, is one thing. Who knows.

All I know is, Tesla has offered deals - definitely has, beyond just the mathematical invetory math.

Tesla only offer real deals of note on new inventory cars when the cars aren't new.. they're ex demonstrators, at least here in the uk or discontinued where there's no comparative new price. I run Tesla Model S for sale

and have several thousand data points that tell me this.

Tesla only offer real deals of note on new inventory cars when the cars aren't new.. they're ex demonstrators, at least here in the uk or discontinued where there's no comparative new price. I run Tesla Model S for sale

and have several thousand data points that tell me this.

Well, but this is simply not true in a wider sense. Tesla has offered discounts on new inventory cars many times. And yes, beyond any price change math.

It has usually coincided with quarterly goals...