Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Employee who sent $30,000 off email was FIRED!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO, the email was probably fine....until the resulting articles with "$30k off new Teslas!" headlines started popping up. That's when the email became a problem that eventually cost the dude his job.

Maybe Aaron will post something publicly since he's no longer under confidentiality chains.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. One scenario I could see is that he was so used to the term "showroom cars" that he didn't feel a need to clarify. As soon as many of us saw the email, though, we could picture what was going to happen.

The other option I see is that he was trying to mislead, but the forum members who have chimed in here about his character make it sound like that's not something he'd do.

Either way, it's an unfortunate story, imho ... but it probably helped Tesla to sell more cars. It surely grabbed a lot of headlines and eyeballs.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Not sure if I follow what you are insinuating about my comment. I put two options on the table there as far as what the salesperson did. We don't know which one it was. That was my core point.

Elon: Sure thing, 600 of them tagged with his name: Elon Musk Archives | CleanTechnica
You have zero grounds to believe it was duplicitous. To even suggest it shades the discussion. It's an abhorrent rhetorical ploy. My guess is that you either are interested in bare facts or you're mostly concerned with access and revenue and your stock interests. I am not going to pass judgment though. It could be nothing.

• Funny
Reactions: hacer
Anyone else find it sad that news/media take posts from here and turn them into their own articles? Even TMC themselves do it, pretty sad.

People want more info on Tesla, and especially info that helps them as a consumer and/or investor. Forums are a wonderful source of info, perspective, and discussion. A good forum should stimulate broader coverage, imho. I'd think it was sad if 1) cool/useful info was being posted here and not making it further, 2) this forum was useless and nothing was getting picked up.

But yeah, a worthwhile PSA (that should probably be posted every month): if you don't want your comments to be picked up by the media, don't post them on a public forum or at least request that no one publish them elsewhere (and hope that whichever journalists/bloggers see them respect your request — they don't have to as I understand the law, but I personally respect such requests out of basic courtesy).

Reactions: EchoDelta
You have zero grounds to believe it was duplicitous. To even suggest it shades the discussion. It's an abhorrent rhetorical ploy. My guess is that you either are interested in bare facts or you're mostly concerned with access and revenue and your stock interests. I am not going to pass judgment though. It could be nothing.

Haha, sorry, I guess my aim was not very successful. I was just trying to highlight that there were various reasons he could have written the email as he did. Sorry, definitely not implying that he did something nefarious.

As far as what you assume about me, believe me, I'm used to people thinking plenty of incorrect things about my motives. It goes with the business. #FakeNews, right? Very popular these days to attack the press and assume corrupt motives. I just try to correct misunderstandings or incorrect assumptions when I can, and also try to be exceedingly open.

Anyhow, gotta go get my daughters ready for bed, so will come back in a while to see how horrible of a person I actually am. :D

It's not unreasonable to pick up a news lead on the forum.

Quoting without attribution out of context, which has been done by others, is something to frown on. Thus my footer (it has happened to me).
Ditto.

I've had new posters accuse me of showboating by putting that in my signature. But the reality is, since some of us have included it, ethical journalists have left our posts alone. What I write has no longer been taken out of context. Highly recommend. :)

@bonnie had it right when it comes to publicizing communications from third parties in that I follow the same procedures. That doesn't make the OP wrong by any means but there are things the OP could have, and probably should have, done in this case.

That being said, we are all completely speculating here as to what happened and why... We only have one half of one side of the story, at least so far as I could tell from the thread so my apologies if I missed it, and without the rest it just seems unnecessary to hypothesize much...

Good employees make mistakes and depending on the severity as it relates to company policy, sometimes those mistakes lead to involuntary termination... That doesn't make the employee a bad employee or anything it's just they violated X policy and that was deemed severe enough to warrant involuntary termination...

Jeff

post the private e-mail
Ummm, what "private" e-mail? Unless the guy who sent it was acting on his own, personal behalf, offering to sell his own private property, he was sending e-mail as a Tesla employee, from Tesla, and, as such, it is no more privileged than any other corporate communications to a customer. If employees of any company start making personal, private deals with customers then they deserve to be fired. But it really doesn't sound like that's what was going on here.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Hello everyone,

I appreciate all of the comments. My purpose in posting the content of the email was simply to spread the word, it seemed like a great deal for the P100D and might have helped anyone sitting on the fence to jump. I also posted it to our local FB group and many people responded with interest to purchase a P100D. It helped sales. I had no reason to believe this was a secret or something that was not common knowledge, I receive regular mass mail communications from the local Tesla gallery. Others in Arizona received the same email. While Elektrek says it obtained its information from multiple sources, it was my original post in the other thread that they quoted in the article. I've since reached out to the author of the piece and put him in touch directly with Aaron to let them determine what they want to do, if anything.

My intention was not to get Aaron fired. I don't think anyone could have reasonably foreseen that spreading the word about [what now seems to be] a rather commonplace promotion would result in a sales advisor being terminated.

Last edited:
Ummm, what "private" e-mail? Unless the guy who sent it was acting on his own, personal behalf, offering to sell his own private property, he was sending e-mail as a Tesla employee, from Tesla, and, as such, it is no more privileged than any other corporate communications to a customer. If employees of any company start making personal, private deals with customers then they deserve to be fired. But it really doesn't sound like that's what was going on here.

When I receive an email from anyone, whether they represent a company or not, it's private, otherwise they might as well put it up on my FB. It works in reverse for anyone sending me an email and thusly I never post emails publicly without specific permission and removing names etc...

If you think otherwise feel free to give me the password to your email account.