Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Employee who sent $30,000 off email was FIRED!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I receive an email from anyone, whether they represent a company or not, it's private, otherwise they might as well put it up on my FB. It works in reverse for anyone sending me an email and thusly I never post emails publicly without specific permission and removing names etc...

If you think otherwise feel free to give me the password to your email account.

So if you got an email from, say, Bed Bath and Beyond advertising 50% off Widgets this Sunday and you participated in a Widget fan forum, you would try to contact Bed Bath and Beyond to get permission to share the e-mail first?

Apples and oranges.

"The market price for an older apple is now 10% less." has nothing to do with negotiation.

Where did I said it had anything to do with negotiation? I agreed with you, I doubt Tesla negotiates pricing.

My opinion was that Tesla has discounted new inventory for demand during their quarterly pushes. That goes to the "no discounts" claim, not to the "no negotiations" claim. And no, I'm not talking about "older" apples, no, not really.

So if you got an email from, say, Bed Bath and Beyond advertising 50% off Widgets this Sunday and you participated in a Widget fan forum, you would try to contact Bed Bath and Beyond to get permission to share the e-mail first?
If that Bed Bath & Beyond email came from a specific person, then yes. I would. More than once I've sent a 'hey, real quick - okay to share this info on the forum? I'll remove your contact info, of course.'

Some of these posts denying the obvious link are amazing! It's a matter of probability; which cause is more likely.

Guy A: Hey, you just smashed my finger hitting it with your sledge hammer!
Guy B: How do you know that your finger wasn't already smashed?
Guy A: Oh yeah, I have this X-ray right from today!
Guy B: How do you know the X-ray machine isn't wrong?
... And it goes on and on and on..

Occam's razor, people.

If that Bed Bath & Beyond email came from a specific person, then yes. I would. More than once I've sent a 'hey, real quick - okay to share this info on the forum? I'll remove your contact info, of course.'

Exactly, I always ask if I can forward it or share the info.

Unfortunately while the email was originally posted with good intentions on the forums for all of us to be aware of possibly scoring a deal on a car, I don't agree that the entire email should have been posted word for word as it was. I've learned of deals myself along the way searching for a new car, but I make sure to post the info in my own words, never taking an email and blasting it on the internet for all to see. I believe email is meant to be a private conversation between two people just as a PM on TMC is.

If you took the time redacting your own personal info, common courtesy would have been to redact the sales person's information as well. Even then, it's not hard for an enterprise email admin to go run a search on mailboxes and see where that email was generated from.

It's an unfortunate situation and not much we can do at this point. tesla obviously lacks proper protocol on how they should handle these types of "discount" events and how to communicate them properly. In this case, $30k+ off new cars is just bad press for them, and most likely got upper managements panties in a bunch.

Aaron will most likely sue for wrongful termination, he'll get a nice "going away" check for his troubles and that'll be the end of it.

If merely redacting personal information helps solve this... that would imply something else to us: the discounts were real and the only problem was being caught in public?

Tesla says they don't do private deals... why would then a discount email be a problem... after all, all prices are the same for everyone - aka no email can contain a private deal...

So the publication of the email itself can't be the problem unless something is being hidden. It could be a problem if they empoyee was passing out wrong info, of course... or if something was meant to be hidden.

I first heard of this discount when a troll on another site tried to construe it as problems at Tesla, so I can understand them being unhappy with the publicity. Then again, Tesla trolling is rampant and needs little fact or excuse so it sure seems harsh to fire someone over something done without ill intent.

@JonMc , I don't expect you to chime in, but I hope the Tesla employee gets a fair (re) hearing.

If merely redacting personal information helps solve this... that would imply something else to us: the discounts were real and the only problem was being caught in public?

Tesla says they don't do private deals... why would then a discount email be a problem... after all, all prices are the same for everyone - aka no email can contain a private deal...

So the publication of the email itself can't be the problem unless something is being hidden. It could be a problem if they empoyee was passing out wrong info, of course... or if something was meant to be hidden.

Who knows but one thing I did hear while visiting the local showroom while waiting to charge the other day is that they're aware of sites like ev-cpo and others that make it easier to see Sticker and discounts and are currently working to move their inventory to a new platform. A lot of the highly discounted cars have disappeared from those sites and can only be found internally again. Sucks big time when you're trying to find a car and don't want to keep going back to your sales guy to look for something.

Where did I said it had anything to do with negotiation? I agreed with you, I doubt Tesla negotiates pricing.

My opinion was that Tesla has discounted new inventory for demand during their quarterly pushes. That goes to the "no discounts" claim, not to the "no negotiations" claim. And no, I'm not talking about "older" apples, no, not really.
We were agreeing. I was just continuing the thought w/r/t discussion with previous post that you replied to.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
No, it doesn't imply that (IMO).

I think what people were saying that redacting the sender's email would make it less likely / less direct for Tesla to find and respond directly to the sender's actions -- i.e. it would be less likely or less swift that the sender might be punished.

That doesn't say anything about whether the content of the message is something Tesla should or shouldn't be pushing back on -- either in content or distribution.

I think what people were saying that redacting the sender's email would make it less likely / less direct for Tesla to find and respond directly to the sender's actions -- i.e. it would be less likely or less swift that the sender might be punished.

Sure. However, my point was: If there is nothing in the email to cause Tesla ire, i.e. no deal making (because no such thing exists), why would there be any risk of action against the employee for publication? After all, the prices are the same for all. So the employee could not be breaking a confidentiality clause by disclosing a special price for, say, @AmpedRealtor. Hence also the latter having no big reason not to publish the email. After all, all Tesla prices are the same for all and the email contained no personal information, just general business news. Why would it be necessary to hide the person who is passing on this bit of news?

Unless something is amiss, of course.

So - if the email was the cause for the firing - either something is amiss there (i.e. some deals/discounts are meant to be hidden even though we are told otherwise), or the employee was passing on entirely false information... hence that Why is important IMO, because it opens the next question.

I have a question sort of related to this issue. I placed an order on an inventory car 9 days ago. The price was $145.500. It's a new car, not a car used as a service vehicle. Now, I'm from Norway so the prices from the US might differ a bit, but for a brand new P100D with similar configuration I would have to pay $154.500, so it's a 9000 dollar discount.

At the time this was the only P100D available on Tesla's inventory page in Norway. Four days later there's 12 P100Ds for sale. Almost all of them driven from 8.000 km to 15.000 km. I contact my local sales advisor to ask if I can change my order and pick another car. He then informs me that the price of the car I've ordered has been greatly reduced, and on the My Spec-page it now says $131.300. I tell him that if that's correct I'll just keep the order. He says my Final Invoice will be changed closer to the date of delivery. If not I should contact him.

Yesterday I checked the price in My Spec again, now it's $126.200. I check the other inventory cars for sale, and I realize that this seems very strange. All the cars at around the same price has been used and driven at least 10.000 km. I contact Tesla today and after about 30 minutes of back and forth on the phone I'm told that the original price of $145.500 is very likely to be the correct one. They don't know why I've been given increased showroom discounts and adjusted price reductions, but I'm told that it is highly unlikely that I'll be buying the car for anything less than $145.500.

Do I have any rights here? I know Tesla doesn't have to offer any other price than the one I got when I placed the order, but as far as I know they always honor negative price adjustments.

The thing that strikes me as very strange is that several times when I'm contacting Tesla the internal information they've got on the inventory cars differ quite a bit from the information I'm seeing on their webpage. They've got another inventory car that's only driven around 400 km that cost around $131.000. If I place an order on this one, are they obligated to stick to that price?