TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Emporia KS - Supercharger Needed?

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by jeffro01, Jul 21, 2015.

1. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

I am native of KS, living in CA now, but when looking at the plans for superchargers in the KS region I see one glaring hole that I think will need filled. While I have no idea how many Model S's are in Wichita, it seems to be that when driving to southern Johnson County, a supercharger is needed in Emporia. I just don't see how the range works when it's 80Mph on the turnpike and 70\75 between Emporia and Gardner. Am I missing something?

Just was curious if anyone else had a thought on this?

Jeff

2. MrPinrel

MrPinrel Member

if you have an 85, the range works ok to get to Wichita, as long as one is a bit careful. or you can take the detour and stop in Topeka.

But I agree, a supercharger in Emporia would be very nice to have. Maybe Tesla will be nice and add it to the 2016 plan!

3. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

I submitted Emporia as a suggestion to the supercharger team at Tesla but they were more looking for a local advocate\property owner to initiate the conversation vs someone like myself who is 1700 miles away... :)

If I lived there I'd be pushing this hard, very hard as it'd be a permanent barrier to me getting a Model S in KS. If I can't drive to Johnson County from Wichita, via Emporia, then I'd have a major reason to not purchase the car. There are a number of great spots there either by the Spangles on one side or the hotels\starbucks\etc... on the other.

Jeff

4. MrPinrel

MrPinrel Member

I went ahead and sent an email to the supercharger team suggesting the same location. I agree that it is a good location as they complete the I35 build out.

5. beepboy

beepboy New Member

I agree. I live in North Kansas City and a supercharger in Emporia, KS would also seal the deal. I want to be able to have a 70D and go to Wichita. I'm sure a 90D will work just fine...

6. breading

breading Member

I agree. If you live on the MO side, a 70 wouldn't make it all the way to Wichita driving highway speeds. I live in Johnson County and while I have made the drive to Wichita in my P85 it would be much more comfortable with a supercharger in Emporia. In the interim, there is a Westar Energy J1772 plug in Emporia that I was going to use as a backup in case my range was dropping too fast; but, I didn't need to use it going either way.

7. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Out of curiosity, what speed did you drive on the turnpike and roughly where in JoCo were you coming from and going to in Wichita? For instance, I used to live in NW Wichita and would take K254 to El Dorado then the turnpike to Emporia and so on and so forth... Granted since we live in CA now it doesn't really matter but I'm curious nonetheless... :)

Jeff

8. breading

breading Member

We drove from the Shawnee area South on 495 to 35 South all the way to Wichita. It was about 190 miles and with a full charge we were able to make it driving just a bit over the speed limit the whole way. Arrived in Wichita with under 20 miles of range remaining if I remember correctly. We trickle charged on a 120 volt outlet at the hotel and then stopped at a Westar Energy J1772 plug the next day to fill up for the trip home.

9. MrPinrel

MrPinrel Member

I drove from Wichita SC to south Overland Park last Sunday in the rain/ice. Had to drive at 70 mph almost the whole way in order to make it, arrived with 10 miles left. We really need a SC in Emporia.

Since I hadn't received a response from my original request for a supercharger in Emporia, sent a message to Tesla again. This time I got a quick response saying that they don't have any current plans for a location in Emporia but are open to looking into it if I can suggest a location or get them in touch with a business owner who might be interested.

Let me know if you know of any businesses who might be interested and I can pass on the tesla contact I was given. I am exploring a couple of ideas:

- Sent a note to the Holiday Inn Express in Emporia to see if they are interested
    - Working with a friend who knows a lot of business owners inEmporia to see if they are interested

10. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

The Huddle House is open 24/7. Maybe you could contact them as well? Then again, there aren't any other choices right next to it...and it does seem more oriented to truckers. Looks like there are a lot more choices close to Industrial Road, including the IHOP which is also open 24/7.