Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Empty weight of Model 3 Long Range in Belgium?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering, what is the empty weight of the car?

In the COC-document I just recieved in order to register my Norwegian car here in Belgium it says 1919 kg.
Now, in my digital Norwegian registration information that was just adjusted down to 1906 kg. Apparently this was done on quite a few model 3's this week.

So, what is it? 1919 or 1906?

I don't know where you can weigh a car here in Belgium, but I usually have quite a good idea of how heavy my wife, kids and luggage is.

Now, in most other cars this wouldn't really be an issue, but in the newer Teslas, like MY and M3 the max permissable mass is ridiculously low. With a max of 2232 kg for my 2021 M3LR I would have trouble transporting 4 people, 4 lightweight bikes and a tiny bit of luggage in the boot unless two of them where small children. As far as I can tell the same applies for the MY, though you do get 2 or 3 kgs extra and quite a bit more room.

The weight of the car is normally with the driver, son maybe the average Belgium is heavier then the average Norwegian. :)

I am not sure if you want to put your car on a scale, as most off the time it will be heavier then what it is on paper.

• Funny
Reactions: job-lek
Lol! But seriously, are there no vehicle scales here? I know back home you could stop next to the motorway and weigh your car in certain places to determine whether you were within the limits. This has usually never been an issue on other cars I've had because you'd run out of room in the car before you'd maxed out the available kilos. Most Teslas, however, have a very low permissable load in relation to empty weight of the vehicle.

Now for us this problem is very real, as we tend to haul four bikes and a family of four when we go away for the weekends with our model 3. For the summer holiday we did at first exceed the max load with about 50 kg, and had the police stopped us I'd have to unload passengers or luggage until we'd be under the limit. That would be impractical. So upon realizing this we repacked the car before leaving for holiday. But this would mean that any big shopping trips during this holiday was not possible.

Mind you, I thought for a while that the Model Y would be able to load more, but in spite of the massive boot it seems that car only lets you add a couple of kilos extra compared to the Model 3.

Maybe I’m too dim to understand your issue.
If the sticker on the driver door of your M3 says, maximum additional payload is 375kg, why would you want to drive to a vehicle scale?
If you have a person scale at home, just weigh you and the members of your family. In a second step, weigh your luggage and bikes using the same scale.
Below 375kg. Fine. Above 375kg, get rid of something.
Note: Chances of getting fined in Belgium for +-5kg vehicle overweight are slimmer than getting struck by lightning.😉

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you're not dim. :) Most cars have a max weight limit which is more than enough. I had an old Citroen that would take way more than my current Tesla, but it was almost undrivable when fully loaded. In the Tesla you barely notice any difference and that makes you wonder why they've set that limit so low.

In any case, that sticker is only a guideline. What counts is that the car should within the legal limit of the max. total weight as stated in the registration documents. I too doubt they'd start handing out fines, but at least back home you'd have to get rid of stuff until you're within the limit. This would be a major hassle.
My 2021 M3LR has a max. permissable vehicle weight of 2232 kg.
So going by whatever it says on the sticker that would mean the empty weight is 1857 kg. But it isn't.
COC-documents say its 1919 kg while new Norwegian documents say 1906. These are weights without the driver.

In the any case, those 50-60 kgs of difference between the sticker and legal documents decides wether you can bring all four bikes or just two if you're travelling with more than just one grown up passenger.

That's why I'd like to know the real weight of the car.

No, you're not dim. :) Most cars have a max weight limit which is more than enough. I had an old Citroen that would take way more than my current Tesla, but it was almost undrivable when fully loaded. In the Tesla you barely notice any difference and that makes you wonder why they've set that limit so low.

In any case, that sticker is only a guideline. What counts is that the car should within the legal limit of the max. total weight as stated in the registration documents. I too doubt they'd start handing out fines, but at least back home you'd have to get rid of stuff until you're within the limit. This would be a major hassle.
My 2021 M3LR has a max. permissable vehicle weight of 2232 kg.
So going by whatever it says on the sticker that would mean the empty weight is 1857 kg. But it isn't.
COC-documents say its 1919 kg while new Norwegian documents say 1906. These are weights without the driver.

In the any case, those 50-60 kgs of difference between the sticker and legal documents decides wether you can bring all four bikes or just two if you're travelling with more than just one grown up passenger.

That's why I'd like to know the real weight of the car.
I have drive with a lot of fully loaded cars through Belgium (and France and Italy) but never had a weight check.