Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emulate Engine Noise - Agree or Disagree?

Should there be an option to engage an outdoor exhaust note?

• Yes

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 127 77.0%
  • Meh, don't care

Votes: 16 9.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was only 1 time that this happened - it might have been after a [old] firmware update that increased power where after I gunned it and was regenning to slow down, my motor sounded like an airplane jet engine. I've never been able to reproduce it, but it was the only time where I felt like there was an audio representation of the power of the motor.

So if there had to be fake noise, I'd want it to emulate/amplify the possible/natural sounds of an electric motor.

I generally roll my eyes at the excessively loud cars on the streets these days, knowing that my silent tesla is likely faster. Loudness to me is a sign of inefficiency of power production.

It really depends. Exhaust / bolt-ons do add 10's of horsepower depending on what you do. But I agree it's a little funny to see muscle cars on the strip screaming while the Ninjas M3P or P100D take the win. But admit it, those exhaust notes still sound good.

There was only 1 time that this happened - it might have been after a [old] firmware update that increased power where after I gunned it and was regenning to slow down, my motor sounded like an airplane jet engine. I've never been able to reproduce it, but it was the only time where I felt like there was an audio representation of the power of the motor.

So if there had to be fake noise, I'd want it to emulate/amplify the possible/natural sounds of an electric motor.

I generally roll my eyes at the excessively loud cars on the streets these days, knowing that my silent tesla is likely faster. Loudness to me is a sign of inefficiency of power production.

Right, I'd prefer the sound be internal cabin only using the audio sound system (assuming configurable Off/On). The PWS is fine as is with the current small speaker upfront for low speed, otherwise silent. Full time external sound would prb. need a bass freq. chamber type addition e.g. BMW i8 which seems silly.

I bet you had your destination set to a supercharger. The car will start making a whirling noise on acceleration/deceleration while warming up with the motors.

Last edited:
I think it would be awesome, either as a trick, or a gearhead's trip down memory lane, if M3s came with an outdoor audio system that emulates a couple of engine noises. This should of course be an OPTIONAL, On-Off switch feature but I strongly believe there'd be a market for it.

I've been eyeing a M3 for a long time now, but one personal thing that's held me back is the belief that i'd really miss that V8 sound. So this is what i'm proposing: wouldn't it be great if these sounds were incorporated, albeit artificially, somewhere in an exterior set of speakers?

1. Muscle V8 (emulating Camaro / Challenger / Mustangs of various years)
2. Exotic Import (Nissan GTR, Lamborghini Aventador, Porsche 911)
3. Whatever else you'd ask for

It'd certainly help with backing up. Heck, everyone knows when i'm about to leave a parking spot LOL. It also gives you another thing to listen to when music just isn't cutting it. What're your thoughts?

(PS - sorry if this has been covered before)

Why would anybody ever want to noise pollute MORE!! You must be sicko. Absolutely no effin' way. NO NO NO!!!.

I love those sounds too, but won't miss them on the roads. And I expect we'll have the equivalent of Steam Train Sundays offered by the car museums once they vanish from our daily commute.

Right!?

Yeah I fully expect gasoline cars to go the way of the dodo sometime in the next century. That doesn't mean i'd want it to go away. Heck I still love steam engines and that tech was around in the 1800's!!