Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

enable slip start from home page

In snowy conditions not being able to enable slip start (disabling traction control) can be a safety hasard. Currently, when you are about to get stuck driving on a slippery road, you have to frantically navigate through the menus to try to get to the option to activate slip start; when you should really be focused on the road. Cars usually have an accessible and intuitive button near the wheel, and we believe Tesla's home screen should have a control for doing this quickly. While driving with traction control is important 99% of the time, getting it disabled is also very important the other 1%. What do you think, or any recommendation?
 
  • Like
Reactions: jkeyser14

Gasaraki

Active Member
Oct 21, 2019
2,392
1,721
Syracuse, NY
In snowy conditions not being able to enable slip start (disabling traction control) can be a safety hasard. Currently, when you are about to get stuck driving on a slippery road, you have to frantically navigate through the menus to try to get to the option to activate slip start; when you should really be focused on the road. Cars usually have an accessible and intuitive button near the wheel, and we believe Tesla's home screen should have a control for doing this quickly. While driving with traction control is important 99% of the time, getting it disabled is also very important the other 1%. What do you think, or any recommendation?
When you are enabling 'Slip Start' it means that you are stopped already. When you are stopped and stuck, there is no need to "keep your eyes on the road". You can activate the button then start driving.
 
In snowy weather please set Regen to low or disable it if that option is available in your model ( this is what Tesla manual says) ... this will improve traction control.
No... regen cannot be lowered on 2021 and up model 3 and Y cars... In any case, regen adjusts automatically in slippery conditions. It reduces or even stops doing regen when the wheels block, and will gradually go back up as conditions get better. Don't worry about regen.

The OP is talking about acceleration, not deceleration, since talking about slip start. The underlying issue is that the traction and stability controls on the model 3/Y are tuned to aggressively prevent any slipping. In real snow or icy conditions this can sometimes lead to the car just understeering instead of turning, or being stuck in deep snow. Slip Start is the only tool we have to slightly reduce the agressiveness of those systems. It'S not enough in my opinion but it's better than nothing. I would want more reduction of those systems, optionally, but that's not the OP's question.

I would welcome having this toggle in the quick settings myself at a minimum. I am hopeful that the eventual new UI that supports customization will let us put some buttons where we want...
 
No... regen cannot be lowered on 2021 and up model 3 and Y cars... In any case, regen adjusts automatically in slippery conditions. It reduces or even stops doing regen when the wheels block, and will gradually go back up as conditions get better. Don't worry about regen.

The OP is talking about acceleration, not deceleration, since talking about slip start. The underlying issue is that the traction and stability controls on the model 3/Y are tuned to aggressively prevent any slipping. In real snow or icy conditions this can sometimes lead to the car just understeering instead of turning, or being stuck in deep snow. Slip Start is the only tool we have to slightly reduce the agressiveness of those systems. It'S not enough in my opinion but it's better than nothing. I would want more reduction of those systems, optionally, but that's not the OP's question.

I would welcome having this toggle in the quick settings myself at a minimum. I am hopeful that the eventual new UI that supports customization will let us put some buttons where we want...
Good info- I didn't know that 2021 MY and 3 does not have adjustable Regn settings
 

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


SUPPORT TMC
Top