Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enabling ambient lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered some ambient lights for my 2014 model s. These lights are installed under the arm rests in the door panels. It took me about an hour to install all of the lights and get everything out back together. Once doing so I noticed I had no way to enable the lights in the UI. At that point I reached out to tesla for some help to enable the lights using tesla tool box. The local service center said that they couldn’t do it as it wasn’t apart of a maintenance process and I would need to reach out to corporate to have it done. Off to corporate I went, on that call they said it would take a few weeks to have it enabled and I will be good to go at that point. This was back around October of 2020.
I waited a few weeks, and decided to wait a while longer as I know the Tesla employees are busy and I don’t want to be a pain. At the end of December I decided to reach out again, and received a response that they haven’t gotten to it yet and it should be done in a few weeks. I waited until yesterday to reach back out to see how it was going. This time in received a message from tesla that as I did the install they wouldn’t enable the lights. :( Is there anyone that can help me to enable this feature? (The only other option I can come up with is to build a Y adapter from the puddle lights to feed both the puddle light and the ambient lights, the biggest downside is that I can’t operate the ambient lights independently from the cabin lights.)

I’m thinking of doing this too. I got one door done but the rest are pretty difficult especially the drivers door. I eventually got it off but found that it has a small black strap attached to the door which makes it difficult to install it. 😕 Anyways the door that is finished is the rear drivers side door.

I couldn’t get it working yet but I am thinking of using the red light on the door (the pedestrian warning light) and use that wire instead. This means that the light will be on when the doors are open and turn off after they close. I’m worried tapping a wire because it might void the warranty.

By the way my car is a refresh MS- late 16 build.

I’m not sure if the red light has the same adapter as the ambient light, but please try it let us know!

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
I ordered some ambient lights for my 2014 model s. These lights are installed under the arm rests in the door panels. It took me about an hour to install all of the lights and get everything out back together. Once doing so I noticed I had no way to enable the lights in the UI. At that point I reached out to tesla for some help to enable the lights using tesla tool box. The local service center said that they couldn’t do it as it wasn’t apart of a maintenance process and I would need to reach out to corporate to have it done. Off to corporate I went, on that call they said it would take a few weeks to have it enabled and I will be good to go at that point. This was back around October of 2020.
I waited a few weeks, and decided to wait a while longer as I know the Tesla employees are busy and I don’t want to be a pain. At the end of December I decided to reach out again, and received a response that they haven’t gotten to it yet and it should be done in a few weeks. I waited until yesterday to reach back out to see how it was going. This time in received a message from tesla that as I did the install they wouldn’t enable the lights. :( Is there anyone that can help me to enable this feature? (The only other option I can come up with is to build a Y adapter from the puddle lights to feed both the puddle light and the ambient lights, the biggest downside is that I can’t operate the ambient lights independently from the cabin lights.)

Well I'm learning something new because I thought all Tesla Model S had those ambient lights under the armrests. my car does and it's a 2012 and there is a control on the touch screen for them

I used to leave them on at night I like the effect until the novelty wore off now I turn them off.

Tried to have it done by Tesla, they said my car doesn't have them. Car has them under arm rest, they're just not activated and I don't have the ambient button on the screen. Couldn't convince them to do it, even if I said I would pay a fee. Anyone has the contact for corporate?

Reactions: HKP_Tom