Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enabling sensor when NOT parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

We got our Model Y and unfortunately have already had a small incident. We need to park our car in a car tight NCP car park which has high curbs and at times walls higher than the car on both sides when coming in and out of the car park. As a result parking isn't the problem, it's getting it in and out the car park without marking it.

Does anyone know how you can turn on the forward and rear sensors of the car when simply driving? So that it's easier for us to see how close we are to walls etc? As it doesn't appear to come on unless parking.

Or perhaps there might be some handy tips we can utilise?

Many Thanks

Does anyone know how you can turn on the forward and rear sensors of the car when simply driving? So that it's easier for us to see how close we are to walls etc? As it doesn't appear to come on unless parking.

I find the opposite with my M3; the sensors activate too often when just driving slowly or sitting in traffic. If the space is that tight, try slowing down more to make the sensors kick in? Though a word of caution, the sensors don't update their distance display very quickly, there's definitely a small amount of lag, so I wouldn't say they are good enough to use as a point of reference when moving at anything more than a crawl.

You can also activate the cameras on the screen by pressing the camera button (the round lens-looking one, not the dashcam). Then you can see the side cameras as a point of reference if needed.

Hi,

We got our Model Y and unfortunately have already had a small incident. We need to park our car in a car tight NCP car park which has high curbs and at times walls higher than the car on both sides when coming in and out of the car park. As a result parking isn't the problem, it's getting it in and out the car park without marking it.

Many Thanks
The manual:

The sensors are activated when driving slower than 5 mph (8 km/h).

Also:
When driving with the Camera app displayed on the touchscreen, you can switch to the Park Assist view when driving at speeds below 5 mph (8 km/h). Touch the button located in the upper left corner of the Camera app screen. This is useful if you need assistance with parallel parking.

Can you not use summon to get the car to its final parking spot?
Only if you have EAP. The OP isn't having trouble with parking spots, but the entrance/exit to the car park itself. I know the feeling, the car park at our local shopping center is similar, with very tight turns and stupidly-placed kerbs everywhere. It's almost as if the people designing the layout have never driven a car bigger than a Micra.

Reactions: M1tch
Unless things are different in the UK, the sensors are already on all the time. You should be able to see the yellow/red arcs around the car on the visualization part of the screen, including when driving down the road. Or are you talking about the warning sounds?

Hey All, thanks for the replies. I was going off vague information my wife gave me. It looks like the sensors (yellow and red line) around the image of the car on screen are coming on. Its just not enough so I was trying to find a way of helping her.

Everyone here might not be aware of what UK car parks are like, especially NCP car parks. Going to a car park with bigger spaces simply isn't a thing. If you're in the USA I think you'd have a heart attack over the size of our spaces. Here's an example:
1648810705076.png

1648810728624.png

I don't park in spaces like that. I will spend as much time as is necessary to find an end space, or one next to a pillar, etc. I'll even charge my car if there are facilities there even if I don't particularly need to, because those spaces are bigger. If I still can't find a space, I'll park somewhere else and walk further.

I have the luxury (?) of not having a family in the car who would probably get annoyed with me driving around finding a space where I'm not likely to get dinged, though.

Reactions: init6
Same. There are two car parks in my town I refuse to park in anymore due to ridiculous high concrete kerbs and tight corners. Often the kerbs don’t even follow the road or walls properly and jut out at odd moments so it’s a nightmare

Kerbed my old cars, you can see where lots have done that before you. I really wish we had 360 camera

Reactions: Durzel
Same. There are two car parks in my town I refuse to park in anymore due to ridiculous high concrete kerbs and tight corners. Often the kerbs don’t even follow the road or walls properly and jut out at odd moments so it’s a nightmare

Kerbed my old cars, you can see where lots have done that before you. I really wish we had 360 camera
There's a real terror in Bristol, the NCP in Broadmead, which is just horrifying. Tall jutting kerbs that are barely (I mean maybe 2-3 inches either side) wider than the car. I would rather inconvenience myself by parking somewhere else than grind my wheels and it just ruin the entire day for me.

• Informative
Reactions: DigbyChicken