Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enabling Supercharging on salvage Tesla Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Does anyone have a contact for someone that can enable supercharging on a 2017 Tesla Model X. The car has been Tesla Certified and Autopilot is still enabled. I would also like the car to get all the latest updates (not sure if it currently is getting that or not). I am in the Los Angeles area if it makes a difference or if they can do it remotely it would be good too. Please DM me if anyone has a contact for someone. Thanks.

Also, I just bought the car and it was already fixed and driven by someone else previously. If I download the app and register it under my name will it draw any red flags with Tesla to audit the vehicle and disable the autopilot or can I register for the app and won't have to worry about it? Thanks for the feedback.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I doubt Tesla will disable any software already in the car, but you’re unlikely to get further updates. As for Supercharging, only Tesla can re-enable it. My limited understanding was that they offered a service - for a fee - to certify the car to allow Supercharging. No idea if that was or is a thing, but thought I had read it somewhere.

Ultimately, the answer to your questions is “you need to ask Tesla”.

• Informative
Hello,

Does anyone have a contact for someone that can enable supercharging on a 2017 Tesla Model X. The car has been Tesla Certified and Autopilot is still enabled. I would also like the car to get all the latest updates (not sure if it currently is getting that or not). I am in the Los Angeles area if it makes a difference or if they can do it remotely it would be good too. Please DM me if anyone has a contact for someone. Thanks.

Also, I just bought the car and it was already fixed and driven by someone else previously. If I download the app and register it under my name will it draw any red flags with Tesla to audit the vehicle and disable the autopilot or can I register for the app and won't have to worry about it? Thanks for the feedback.
What firmware version is loaded on the vehicle now?

• Informative
I have a sort of tangental question - when a car has disabled supercharging, is all DC fast charging disabled or just at superchargers? Could you in theory charge it at chademo (or CCS when the adapter comes out) fast charging stations?
I imagine it would work on third party networks that do not have access to the Tesla database that validates the car's information.

And there are CCS adapters out now, check YouTube. But, you are still stuck with the 3rd party networks, member cards, etc.

Assuming the car has never been in the hands of Tesla (as a used car) they should not disable the autopilot software.
They seem to be doing it. There is a national registry that contains a field for the vehicle being salvaged and once that flag gets set a number of things regarding registration and insurance are affected.

• Informative
I imagine it would work on third party networks that do not have access to the Tesla database that validates the car's information.

And there are CCS adapters out now, check YouTube. But, you are still stuck with the 3rd party networks, member cards, etc.

Oh I didn't realize that superchargers had network access. I thought all the communication was done on the car side. Interesting.

Oh I didn't realize that superchargers had network access. I thought all the communication was done on the car side. Interesting.
That is my understanding of how it works. I believe almost all chargers pass information to and from the vehicle and a network. For 3rd parties, they also have card readers that need to validate the account.

My understanding is that they disable all DC charging and that they don't have any avenue for getting it re-enabled. The HV inspection process is required for them to even service the vehicle after it has been rebuilt.

EDIT: Posted before seeing the latest reply. If Tesla has indeed changed their policy so other DC fast charging still works, that's great.

I don't really think they should be able to disable all DC charging, but they obviously have every right to cut off supercharger access.

Salvage model 3 owner here. I can confirm the chademo adapter and the ccs adapter work, at least on the model 3. Also there is no way to get Tesla to enable supercharging once it has been disabled.
If you're looking for a third party way to enable supercharging, try Ingenext, it's the kind of thing they might be able to do.

Very interesting. Thanks for your perspective. This definitely improves the value of salvage vehicles, especially in states like CA with a robust third party charging network.

Hello,

Let me see if I can summarize it kn a few lines:

- If your car is salvage, Tesla disables SC. If it's not disabled now, they will during the next week/months.

- The only way to recover SC (unless you're a superhacker) is to have MCU1 and root the car. You might be stuck in an old version of the firmware (not very old). if your car has MCU2, you're out of luck. SC depends solely on the configuration of the car, no connection to mothership required.

- They shouldn't disable autopilot if the car had it, unless you bought it from Tesla.

- Third party charging should work, but it might need activation (there is a flag in the configuration for that). It is in their current policy to allow 3rd party DC charging for salvage vehicles.

Summarizing: latest firmware + SC + salvage is an impossible combination right now, unless you have incredible hacking skills.

Reactions: brainhouston
As for Supercharging, only Tesla can re-enable it.
that's what they want you to think.

But they stopped doing this anyway so now it's entirely on the "Black market"

I have a sort of tangental question - when a car has disabled supercharging, is all DC fast charging disabled or just at superchargers? Could you in theory charge it at chademo (or CCS when the adapter comes out) fast charging stations?
it's two different settings so sometimes it's both sometimes only the supercharging.

The support document says both could be disabled.
https://www.scribd.com/document/447459079/TN-18-00-001-Unsupported-Vehicle-Policy-R1 (behind a paywall sadly)

- The only way to recover SC (unless you're a superhacker) is to have MCU1 and root the car
or pay somebody to do it for you.

if your car has MCU2, you're out of luck
or not (And pay somebody to do it for you)

SC depends solely on the configuration of the car, no connection to mothership required.
so far. But that might change.

It is in their current policy to allow 3rd party DC charging for salvage vehicles.
no, it's not.

Summarizing: latest firmware + SC + salvage is an impossible combination right now, unless you have incredible hacking skills.

or money ;)

That said given Tesla trying to scare people into not performing these activations might be hard to find a willing party. But then again LA and SFBA are two areas where there are multiple "unapproved" garages doing all sorts of stuff so some might be more willing than others?

Additional consideration is the "disablement" is achieved by multiple means and some are viewed by less risky than others to circumvent

And finally for the people that have salvage cars, but Tesla did not get to disable supercharging on them yet - it's possible to severe mothership communications (or part of them) and ensure the disabling instructions never reach the car. This is viewed as the most safe approach by many (but obviously the car must have not yet disabled supercharging first)