Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enabling Supercharging on salvage Tesla Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you accept payments for MCU2 hacking? :p
not really. I mean if you really-really need root on your mcu2 for some good reason (hacking gw config is not really a good reason in my view) I might be able to help you out, BUT in general I'd prefer for Tesla to start giving people root by official means to all comers (after signing whatever waivers they deem necessary and such but not as now where you basically need to give them unknown exploits and that only buys you one year of approved access).

not really. I mean if you really-really need root on your mcu2 for some good reason (hacking gw config is not really a good reason in my view) I might be able to help you out, BUT in general I'd prefer for Tesla to start giving people root by official means to all comers (after signing whatever waivers they deem necessary and such but not as now where you basically need to give them unknown exploits and that only buys you one year of approved access).
Can you give me some direction or help on where to explore SC options for my model 3?

Are you aware of anyone working on or able to reenable DCFC on MCU2? Please DM. Thanks!
there are three aspects here:
- Typical disablement is by updating a gateway config variable (some believe it's an illegal act that's covered by "Felony Computer Intrusion 18 U.S.C. § 1030") so if it happend to you you might lawyer up. Reverting that is possible, but Tesla will revert your revert compounding on their "crimes". To prevent this reverting you would have to either kill the vpn certs and lose app access or root the car and keep Tesla away from the config changing machinery. (on model3 there's a third option here to foil the reverising that does not affect Tesla connectivity)
- Tesla could also push a "flag change" in "feature config" that causes the car to have "soft-disabled" supercharging. You can wipe it off with a factory reset for about 20 minutes. Also same as above rooting or forgoing Tesla connectivity to skip it permanently.
- Relatively recently they started to implement crippling of the chargeport circuitry (not sure which ecu exactly). Reportedly they only do it to some "worst offenders". Reportedly they have v3 superchargers populated with "black lists", if a car with blacklisted vin connects - the supercharger sends a "disable yourself" command to the ECU and the supercharging won't work anymore no matter what you do. I don't know if any workarounds were developed for this yet.

The first two could be addressed by your salvage repairer of choice (I only know people in Sacramento, but I would think they exist everywhere).

Also if by DCFC you mean strictly non-tesla fast charging then only item #1 is what's important for you.

- Typical disablement is by updating a gateway config variable (some believe it's an illegal act that's covered by "Felony Computer Intrusion 18 U.S.C. § 1030") so if it happend to you you might lawyer up. Reverting that is possible, but Tesla will revert your revert compounding on their "crimes". To prevent this reverting you would have to either kill the vpn certs and lose app access or root the car and keep Tesla away from the config changing machinery. (on model3 there's a third option here to foil the reverising that does not affect Tesla connectivity)
- Tesla could also push a "flag change" in "feature config" that causes the car to have "soft-disabled" supercharging. You can wipe it off with a factory reset for about 20 minutes. Also same as above rooting or forgoing Tesla connectivity to skip it permanently.
- Relatively recently they started to implement crippling of the chargeport circuitry (not sure which ecu exactly). Reportedly they only do it to some "worst offenders". Reportedly they have v3 superchargers populated with "black lists", if a car with blacklisted vin connects - the supercharger sends a "disable yourself" command to the ECU and the supercharging won't work anymore no matter what you do. I don't know if any workarounds were developed for this yet.

The first two could be addressed by your salvage repairer of choice (I only know people in Sacramento, but I would think they exist everywhere).

Also if by DCFC you mean strictly non-tesla fast charging then only item #1 is what's important for you.
Hi green, thanks a lot for your valuable insights. Could you elaborate a bit more on the model 3 third option you mention in item #1?

not sure what the disconnect is but i've asked multiple local salvage repairers (pdx area) and nobody seems to know anything about coding/programming/hacking a tesla...
does anyone on here actually successfully done root or SC enable as of today, that can share where they done it or who to contact?
or is this all on dark web somewhere?

Edit:
also seems strange that salvage cars flying off the shelves on auctions and not showing up a lot for parts... so obviously ppl fix them n get back on the road...
do ppl just not willing to share or are we at the point where tesla disabled every loophole?...

but i've asked multiple local salvage repairers (pdx area)
you need to ask the ones that specialize in Teslas, obviously.

does anyone on here actually successfully done root or SC enable as of today, that can share where they done it or who to contact?
I only know people in Sacramento.

The sharing of information is limited because:
1. some people make money off of this so they obviously don't want to undercut their business
2. Tesla obviously is always on the lookout on how to close holes so anything that gets too widely known has increased chances of being closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
you need to ask the ones that specialize in Teslas, obviously.

I only know people in Sacramento. Like this EcoDrive or this https://calimotive.com/ and there are more too of course

The sharing of information is limited because:
1. some people make money off of this so they obviously don't want to undercut their business
2. Tesla obviously is always on the lookout on how to close hols so anythign that gets too widely known has increased chances of being closed.
To ask Tesla specific shops i need to find them first, thats the problem i'm having...
I would think the ICE salvage ppl would know but they don't so i'm still searching...

I'm perfectly fine paying for services, just need to find who can do it or at least tell me whats possible and whats not

Can you message me salvage repair shops in Oregon or Wa state? Thank you

Would you mind sharing some of those Sacramento shops with me over DM? That's where I'm located. My shop already did that with my S. That said...would be nice to have some backup shops.

This makes me wonder if they would even be able to enable things like Enhanced Autopilot

Would you mind sharing some of those Sacramento shops with me over DM? That's where I'm located. My shop already did that with my S. That said...would be nice to have some backup shops.

This makes me wonder if they would even be able to enable things like Enhanced Autopilot
Turns out people are nervous about advertising this and prefer to work with customers they already know for the most part.