TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Enchanced autopilot for pre-2016/previous gen Model S

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by Titus, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Titus

Titus Member

Anyone been to the showroom/roadshows recently and asked about retrofitment possibilities of the enhanced autopilot on previous generation Model S? I'm ready to be trolled for my forum signature but I'm about ready to give up my humanity over to a machine if it means I can just sleep in HK traffic on way to work. *I'm talking about the enhanced autopilot then the full autonomous driving feature* It would be great if I can hop in the car early with my whole family and sleep while it first drops off my wife, then my son and then I wake up to find myself plugged into a wall charger near my work....

From Tesla's car configurator, I noted there's "enable after delivery" and hoping this means it's a service center retrofit-able feature so our older Model Ss can also have the new cameras/signal lights installed? On the other hand there's some parts I know that would not fit due to the facelift... hmmm....

2. TESLΛ

TESLΛ Member

According to a tweet from Elon, retrofit the hardware isn't possible. It would be cheaper to buy a new car according to him...

Elon Musk on Twitter

3. jsiu

jsiu Member

This was also mentioned in the opening ceremony of Tesla new service centre HK

4. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

Better off selling your current car for one with HW2.
    Not even factoring in all the new tech and battery pack, any additional spending you incur by buying a new car would far outweigh the cost of a retrofit (even if it were possible).

By the time the features that you have mentioned are even possible in HK, there will be pre-owned HW2 cars available.

5. outie

outie Active Member

First of all, you can't retrofit it. The "enable after delivery" is just a software unlock as the hardware is built-in for all cars being produced.

If you are after EAP and full autonomous... you should wait until they become available and trade in your car. Currently EAP is not even at parity with AP1, let alone EAP features and full autonomous. Even if you can retrofit them today (you can't), you have a very long wait ahead for Tesla to fulfill what you envision.

6. Titus

Titus Member

Thanks for the comments and clarification on the enable after delivery thing.