TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Encouraging Development of Charging Infrastructure - What Works?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by bonnie, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

With respect, you need to stand back and think about this.... we are talking about donations which in my book means no strings attached.

Please remember that David Peilow worked for two years on the HPC Project and he doesn't even own a EV. I also have friends who have donated time and effort to ZCW and it will be years before they can afford an EV. We need to think differently about this :rolleyes:

2. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Ideally, donate two. A 7 kW with standard J1772 plug, and a 10 kW or 20 kW HPC. :)

3. Kevin Sharpe

When David Peilow, Andrew Bissell, and Gian Avignone (Tesla) started work a couple of years ago it made sense to deploy HPC's because the Roadster was the only car that would be traveling long distances around the UK. That said, the plan was always to follow up with other AC and DC fast charge solutions as more mainstream cars such as the Leaf became available.

The problem with the HPC is that it's proprietary and therefore difficult for many businesses to justify installing with so few cars on the road. It's much easier to get a generic solution installed that supports many different cars.

The HPC is also challenging because it requires a 60A-70A single phase power source which can limit the number of suitable sites.

I've always believed that high power 'dumb' sockets are important because they are cheap and reliable. Indeed, historically we deployed both 32A 'commando' and 13A 'UK' 'dumb' sockets at every site and these have proven to be an excellent solution.

However, it's important that these 'dumb' sockets are in high quality cases complete with RCBO's, etc. It's also important that they are backed by a major supplier.

I'm also a big fan of modular and upgradable systems that can cope with the inevitable shift in charging connectors. That's what we are currently doing as we migrate towards the Type 2 connector in Europe.

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

The only thing I can recommend in getting businesses to install charging infrastructure is patience and persistence. I got the City to install chargers in their new parking garage after I gave a talk at a local environmental conference. I have also received an OK from a local restaurant to go with the Blink EV project after 3 visits, offers to help with the paperwork and a drive in the car. But after 5 months we are still waiting on the units. Then I have been working on a local hotel/conference center and after 2 months of calls and e-mails we are meeting with a vendor next week. So my experience things often move at a snails pace.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

We've noticed that it's a lot easier to get a 30A EVSE installed than a 70A unit. Unfortunately, if you're on a cross-country trip, charging at 28 kilometers per hour is far beyond tedious.

6. Kevin Sharpe

Agreed, even 70A charging is too slow for most people... you really need fast charging for cross-country trips.

7. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

An upbeat article on PEVs in the current issue of Transmission & Distribution World -- nothing new to TMC readers, but it's nice to see an industry publication that's so squarely upbeat, especially given that the author is a senior exec at the Edison Electric Institute, which is the utility's research and advocacy arm.