Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End cap/cover for charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mobile connector Gen 2 manual says this. Am I looking at the wrong thing? (gen_2_mobile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf)

Warning: Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.
Warning: Protect the Mobile Connector from moisture, water and foreign objects at all times
Warning: If rain falls during charging, do not allow rain water to run along the length of charge cable, causing the electrical outlet or charging port to become wet.
The mobile connector is definitely not “weather proof”, particularly in the example provided where water may run along the cable into either the receptacle or the charge port (which would be bad for obvious reasons, but can be generally avoided by keeping the height of the cable below both the outlet and the receptacle).

That said, I’ve used my Gen 1 mobile connector outside exclusively for 5 years now plugged into an RV-style outlet box that provides some minimal rain protection and it hasn’t died yet (nor have I).

I also wanted an end cap to my wall charger to protect it from duet. Looking at the ends, it’s got a lot of dust from my drywall renovation project. This cannot be good for the contacts.

Plenty of people with comments about it being completely waterproof and dust proof. At the same time, plenty of extension cords come with caps so they must do something or electric cable manufacturers would not bother. Also, the chance is slim but I don’t want arcing current from the cable. Socket manufacturers sell Arc fault circuit interruptor (AFCI) and GCFI receptacles so there must be a slight chance of that. As for dipping into a bucket of water, I dare anyone st home to do that to their wall charger. While standing in said bucket.

As for dipping into a bucket of water, I dare anyone st home to do that to their wall charger. While standing in said bucket.
I would do that. The connection doesn't have power until it has successfully negotiated with the car, and there's a GFCI in the wall connector in case something does go wrong. It's less risky to dunk the cable in water than it is to use a conventional extension cord to plug in a lamp.