Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of Lease process / timing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone can provide any insight / guidance on how Tesla handles the end of a lease period? My MX75D three year lease will expire 11/8/2020. Buyout cost is $55K plus fees and taxes, which I think isn't worth it for 2017 era MX based upon used Tesla listing online. My wife and I are seriously considering trying to just get another MX or maybe a MY. What isn't clear to me is the process. Will Tesla proactively reach out to me X weeks/months in advance? Should I proactively reach out to them? If you are trading in for another Tesla how does the timing work as I assume they can't usually time it to have a new one available the exact day your lease expires. On a related vein, does anyone know the timing / likelihood of being able to get free supercharging on a new X? I've got it on the current one and that would factor heavily in to the decision of whether to go X vs Y on the new one.

Will Tesla proactively reach out to me X weeks/months in advance?
you'll get an email

If you are trading in for another Tesla how does the timing work as I assume they can't usually time it to have a new one available the exact day your lease expires
if you make an order for another one oyou reply with your RN to the lease return email. you can take delivery of the new car on the same day or before your lease return deadline and turn in old car, get the new one.

I've got it on the current one and that would factor heavily in to the decision of whether to go X vs Y on the new one.
chances are free superchargingwill be on and off going forward so you just time it when it's available (likely towards quarter ends).

A bit of advice: when turning the lease in - ask for a copy of the lease return paperwork that says that you owe nothing (or whatever you owe) so that when the bill comes later for made up charges, you can tell them to go away more easily.

Reactions: VikH
you'll get an email

if you make an order for another one oyou reply with your RN to the lease return email. you can take delivery of the new car on the same day or before your lease return deadline and turn in old car, get the new one.

This is the part that I'm most confused / concerned about. Seems like I need to get the reservation number in advance of the email about lease return? So I should proactively approach Tesla about getting a new vehicle well in advance of the email? I was hoping there would be some sort of combined discussions around this (i.e. along the lines of Tesla saying, we see your lease is almost up, would you be interested in leasing another vehicle). And because the lead times are so variable on getting a new vehicle, I have NO idea what type of timing would be necessary for all this, as it's unlikely you can take delivery of the new vehicle on an arbitrary date that's close to when the lease ends.

Seems like I need to get the reservation number in advance of the email about lease return?
no.
you'll get the lease return email like 2-3 months ahead of the date reminding you that you can get another tesla to replace the one you are returning.

it's unlikely you can take delivery of the new vehicle on an arbitrary date that's close to when the lease ends
how so? generally it's been a few weeks between ordering and delivery lately I think?

how so? generally it's been a few weeks between ordering and delivery lately I think?

Maybe it is better now. But, when I ordered my Model X in early February 2018 it was not available for delivery until late May 29, 2018.

Since this is a leased vehicle, I hope Tesla reminds me pretty early next year to order something. Leaning heavily toward another X over a Y

Last edited:
Maybe it is better now. But, when I ordered my Model X in early February 2018 it was not available for delivery until late May 29, 2018.
well, those days are past us it seems.

Since this is a leased vehicle, I hope Tesla reminds me pretty early next year to order something. Leaning heavily toward another X over a Y
I am sure they will. They even run "return your car early programs from time to time.