Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of Lease question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to search for the answer in the forums but didn't see an answer. So if the question has been asked and answered I am sorry in advance but please point me in the right direction of the answer.

My question is if anyone has leased a vehicle with the first generation AP2 build date 3/17 where you had to buy 2 different packages for FSD? The first was basic autopilot at 3k and the second was advanced FSD at 5k for a total of 8k and was promised the car would be level 5 by this time according to the description when you ordered it. I know for the newer vehicles the description has changed. If so did you get any kind of compensation when you turned it in or did you get screwed because you didn't get what you were promised?

I am only asking because my lease is up in a couple of months and wanted to be prepared to ask for something, see what other people got out of it or had to hire a lawyer. I would love to keep my X but my residual is a lot higher than what it is worth due to the company pricing of new cars now. My hope is that I can get into a new X with FSD and free supercharging for life like I have on my current one for just a little more than my residual.

I tried to search for the answer in the forums but didn't see an answer. So if the question has been asked and answered I am sorry in advance but please point me in the right direction of the answer.

My question is if anyone has leased a vehicle with the first generation AP2 build date 3/17 where you had to buy 2 different packages for FSD? The first was basic autopilot at 3k and the second was advanced FSD at 5k for a total of 8k and was promised the car would be level 5 by this time according to the description when you ordered it. I know for the newer vehicles the description has changed. If so did you get any kind of compensation when you turned it in or did you get screwed because you didn't get what you were promised?

I am only asking because my lease is up in a couple of months and wanted to be prepared to ask for something, see what other people got out of it or had to hire a lawyer. I would love to keep my X but my residual is a lot higher than what it is worth due to the company pricing of new cars now. My hope is that I can get into a new X with FSD and free supercharging for life like I have on my current one for just a little more than my residual.

Not exactly related to your post, but I was hoping to get Tesla's attention with the following:

I leased my Model S in mid 2018. At that time, Autopilot (and obviously, FSD) were not standard options and I did not purchase them. I think it would be great for lessees, like me, to be offered a reduced rate or a monthly subscription service for Autopilot and/or FSD since we cannot take these options with us when we turn in our lease and lease end. I fully intend to enter into a new lease when this lease is over, however I do not think that having to pay the same for either service makes sense for a leased vehicle as it does for a purchased vehicle. This would seem only fair. For example, suppose that I would like to enjoy Autopilot/FSD with two months left in my lease (or any amount of time for that matter). Does it really make sense to pay $3,000 / $7,000 for such a short period of time and then have to pay $7,000 again for FSD at the start of the new lease? This isn’t really any different from the current subscription service for those that want to continue to enjoy “Premium Connectivity” after the first year. For a reasonable monthly fee which takes into account the reduced usability because of a 3 year lease term, I would likely jump on the opportunity.

I really think this would be a mutually beneficial offering to Tesla and any lessee:
  • Tesla would get Autopilot and FSD into the hands of more customers and would be able to generate additional revenue with virtually zero cost.
  • Tesla would also be able to harness the additional Autopilot data generated to assist in further improving an already phenomenal product offering.
  • Tesla would enjoy an even better conversion rate by converting lessees to become repeat lessees or even repeat purchasers.
  • Lessees would be far more likely to “upgrade” to this feature without the risk of losing this benefit at lease end.
Thoughts???