Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of Life, guaranteed product support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else feel that an EV should come with an EOL end of life date set by the manufacturer?

In the computer / smartphone world, companies will typically guarantee product support for 5 years, 7 years of parts, software updates, etc..

Any reason this doesn’t exist for EV’s? The way I see it is the lack of 3rd party replacement parts and with no incentive for these companies to make them (ever changing complex proprietary parts), I don’t realistically see myself owing one of these vehicles for more than 7-10 years due to the same reasons I won’t keep a phone for 10 years.

This is in stark contrast to the vehicles still on the road today such as my Dads old farm truck, a 1978 F350.

Anyone else feel the same way???

Last edited:
Of course, but what about the aftermarket parts manufacturers who would normally fill that void after warranty? Because the AutoZone down the street doesn’t seem to carry any replacement parts for Tesla.

There are plenty of less than qualified “shade tree” mechanics successfully repurposing these ICE vehicles after warranty with said aftermarket parts.

But nowadays after warranty service feels more like letting the car sit forever while you wait for someone with Toolbox and parts to fix it

...Of course, but what about the aftermarket parts manufacturers who would normally fill that void after warranty? Because the AutoZone down the street doesn’t seem to carry any replacement parts for Tesla...

Probably mainstream auto parts (Exide, Optima...) don't think there's profit because none has made a generic replacement for Tesla 12V battery.

Small unknown companies do like Ohmmu that sells one for more than $400.