TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

End of Life someday?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by invisik, Jan 23, 2015.

1. invisik

invisik Member

Hi all,

Was thinking today that Tesla probably can't support the Model S platform forever. Like software products, eventually they go end of life and vendor does not make updates and/or provides minimal support until such time support completely ends.

With the rapid advancement of technology, especially mobile technology, Tesla can't possibly manage multiple vehicle platforms and software indefinitely.

Model X is clearly based on the Model S platform. But what happens when the next generation platform comes out... And the platform after that. Can you expect to keep a Model S for 20-30 years and still have support? Have they said anything about this?

Thanks....

-m

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

They haven't said. There is, however, no shortage of speculation. Of course, the next generation platform will be made in addition to the Model S, so you're looking at probably ten years down the road for a new Model S type platform. I'd like to think that at some point there would be an interior/instrument cluster refresh similar to how it's done in aircraft but I really doubt even Tesla knows at this point.

3. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Once the Roadster goes EoL, that might help Tesla set a precedence. It's clear that they are still very much not close to an EoL for support and upgrades with the 3.0 upgrade announcement. I bet we'll have to wait a few years now to see what's going to happen.

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

At some point, it is fairly likely that Tesla will stop making spare parts and software updates - probably 15-20 years from now at a guess.

However, by the end of the production run there are going to be a *lot* of first generation Model Ss and Model Xs, so even then it's likely that any parts you need will be available from the salvage side, or from third parties who see a large market forming.

While the end to updates will mean an end to new toys, it shouldn't render the cars unusable or particularly undesirable - at that point they'll be the same as every car built before Tesla came along for software. :)
    Walter

5. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Now that I think about it, nothing would really stop Tesla or anyone else from just 3D printing parts in the future. No need to stock a warehouse full of parts that may or may not ever be used. I have a feeling Tesla would be at the forefront of that.