Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of Model S lease questions!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the list of modifications I have done to my Model S

- Tint on every window
- Clear bra on the front only
- Painted calipers red...
- Installed a sub (which is easy to take out)

So my questions is... Do I have to remove and repaint the calipers? I've never turned a lease in so I'm not sure how I go about this. Thank you! Also, I just ordered a Model 3! Little bit smaller and a lot cheaper!

My windows were tinted and they said nothing. I would leave everything, wait until you get the inspection report. The calipers could be an issue but the fine may less than what your time is worth to repaint them
Perfect. It's worth a try. Did you have to do a pre-inspection? I was reading it was 15-60 days before the lease is up. Any info you gave give would be awesome!

Get ready to get HOSED compared to a major car manufacturer. Be sure to buff out any minor scratches because they will ding you for it. Keep the car dirty when they come inspect it. Hope the tires are ok. Good luck and be ready to pay a few hundred extra.

I just turned in my Tesla Finance, leased car. Easy process. You have to get a "pre" inspection from a company Autovin. I did remove my carbon fiber adds, but window tint and clear bra should not be an issue. As far as the calipers, no idea if they would even notice unless done poorly. They will measure paint thickness around scratches though. As other have said tires are critical, must be 4/32's minimum. Online you can see what acceptable wear and tear are considered. I had a few minor scrapes and curb rash. They told me no extra charges, other than miles. I have not gotten final bill yet, but they seem reasonable. They are not going to waive miles like a big car company, but I was not expecting that to happen.

• Informative
Reactions: Brettski
My experience is, in the inspection, they just look for obvious wear and damage items and a check list of items that includes scratches, dents, tire tread, damage to interior, damage to wheels, missing parts, etc. They don't care about tinting or paint protection treatments. They generally don't notice anything customized unless it stands out as obvious and detracting to general look for general customers. I had customized my tesla oem 21" wheels ... chromed them, and they gave me a hard time because I had asked about them, but several friends who also had customized tesla wheels ... e.x., black chromed them, had no issue because they didn't ask about it or raise the issue ... inspector simply checked that they weren't curb damaged.

Is this through tesla or usbank? I heard usbank wont let you sell the car to a dealer and pocket the difference. I had never heard of that but someone on another thread said there was something in the language about that. YMMV.

Get the inspection done via autovin ahead of time. Some were told it wasnt necessary and then got hosed on charges. I had some minor wheel rash and small paint chips/scratches. Inspector didn't notice or note them and I didn't get charged anything.

Is this through tesla or usbank? I heard usbank wont let you sell the car to a dealer and pocket the difference. I had never heard of that but someone on another thread said there was something in the language about that. YMMV.

Get the inspection done via autovin ahead of time. Some were told it wasnt necessary and then got hosed on charges. I had some minor wheel rash and small paint chips/scratches. Inspector didn't notice or note them and I didn't get charged anything.

How can they prevent you from doing that? You have in your contract the buyout price and once you pay them that price there is nothing they can do to prevent you from reselling the car, blowing it up, or continuing to drive it?

How can they prevent you from doing that? You have in your contract the buyout price and once you pay them that price there is nothing they can do to prevent you from reselling the car, blowing it up, or continuing to drive it?

Yeah pretty sure you could do as you describe.

Not sure you can trade it to a dealer and have them pay it off. I haven't done it before, so not sure of the details - was just reporting something I read on the internet - quite possibly could have been inaccurate. Just advising someone to do their own due diligence.