Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of Q3 pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I received a delivery appointment today for the 30th Sept at a time that I couldn't make (immovable work commitment) - I wasn't far away from the Stockport SC so called in to discuss with them.

They were really helpful, but keen to make sure I collected the car by the 30th - end of Q3 delivery push - long story short, I now have a delivery time I can do on the 30th but in chatting to them, they're having somewhere between 70 and 90 collections scheduled per day towards the end of the quarter (and 250 per day down south apparently), and if you've ever been there, you'll know it's not that big, and there aren't that many people working there..

I'm wondering how long they'll actually be able to spend on each hand over, and whether they'll be hurrying me along as i look for paint defects etc.. haven't been through the collection process before so wondered if anyone else had collected during a particularly busy period, and what the experience was like if so?

I got an appointment today for 30th too (Heathrow). I accepted, but I do have work commitments that I'll struggle to move - day after would be much better. I'm planning on calling them Monday. It's pretty clear that it's a mad rush for end of the quarter. I hope it doesn't turn into a fiasco.

It's most likely a group collection (did one today in Edinburgh)

4/5/6 of you at a time - shown the basics of a demo car, ask questions as a group, then outside to your own cars. Strength in numbers etc.

Was absolutely zero rush today - take as long a time as you want over your own car, ask questions etc - Was a very pleasant experience. Zero defects or issues with any of the people I was with and everyone left very very happy.

There is the odd mark on the odd car, but I think in the main most cars leave in excellent condition with no issues and just a bunch of very happy people! Your always going to find people making more noise when something is wrong/bad, rather then all the people who leave very happy and just dont say as much.....

Hope it goes well and enjoy!

Reactions: phillcom3
It's most likely a group collection (did one today in Edinburgh)

4/5/6 of you at a time - shown the basics of a demo car, ask questions as a group, then outside to your own cars. Strength in numbers etc.

Was absolutely zero rush today - take as long a time as you want over your own car, ask questions etc - Was a very pleasant experience. Zero defects or issues with any of the people I was with and everyone left very very happy.

There is the odd mark on the odd car, but I think in the main most cars leave in excellent condition with no issues and just a bunch of very happy people! Your always going to find people making more noise when something is wrong/bad, rather then all the people who leave very happy and just dont say as much.....

Hope it goes well and enjoy!

Thanks for that, really helpful. The group scenario would be fine, especially as I've been for a test drive and watched a shed load of YouTube videos.. paint quality is my main worry, but good to hear everything was largely ok in your group :)

Hi,

I received a delivery appointment today for the 30th Sept at a time that I couldn't make (immovable work commitment) - I wasn't far away from the Stockport SC so called in to discuss with them.

They were really helpful, but keen to make sure I collected the car by the 30th - end of Q3 delivery push - long story short, I now have a delivery time I can do on the 30th but in chatting to them, they're having somewhere between 70 and 90 collections scheduled per day towards the end of the quarter (and 250 per day down south apparently), and if you've ever been there, you'll know it's not that big, and there aren't that many people working there..

I'm wondering how long they'll actually be able to spend on each hand over, and whether they'll be hurrying me along as i look for paint defects etc.. haven't been through the collection process before so wondered if anyone else had collected during a particularly busy period, and what the experience was like if so?
And none of them with mine thst was orders in. July wtf

Well all people should leave happy as all the cars should be in perfect condition but the truth is that if they notice any issue with the car they will not tell you, if the detailer fixes any scratches on site for example it will likely just be a temporary fix to get you out the door for their end of quarter rush. There is no point in sugar coating the delivery experience, they just want to get the numbers in for the end of the month.

I'd advise you to ignore the delivery person if they are trying to rush you into signing for the car, if they say you can check after while you are supercharging then just ignore them, the reason being that once you signed the only communication option you have with Tesla is with the schedule a service function through the App.

Last edited:
collections scheduled per day towards the end of the quarter

I picked mine up at end of June quarter, when both the Model-3 and handover systems were brand new. They were doing 100 a day, and even as an existing owner and not particularly concerned given my experience with Tesla (eventually) sorting things out in the past, I found the experience slick and well done.

They took my car off a transporter 30 minutes before I got there and gave it a wash (I know that because when I wound windows down they came back up wet ...), so PDI was negligible (other than whatever was done at the port itself, whilst the cars are on charge after their voyage). There were three of us and we went round the car with fine toothcomb and found nothing.

I'm wondering how long they'll actually be able to spend on each hand over

Not heard of people being rushed so i think that would be unusual, and new Group Explanation approach enabled more people to be processed by existing staff (it would suit me, someone else might ask the question that didn't occur to me :) )

whether they'll be hurrying me along as i look for paint defects etc.

Take a (particularly pedantic!) friend along to do that whilst you are figuring things out inside the car?

But failing that, you could park-up outside, spend the time checking, and then photograph / document any flaws and point out to staff before you actually leave

When I order a Dominos pizza I can track it being made / delivered on the APP ? Should they not have that idea on the Tesla app for everyone’s car once they have a VIN assigned? The problem I guess comes when like me you have a VIN and then it’s taken away from you (probably to someone in the South to aid these end of Q3 figures!)

Should they not have that idea on the Tesla app for everyone’s car once they have a VIN assigned?

As I understand it Tesla have changed from made-to-order, as they used to do with Model-S, to made-for stock. During this "backlog delivery" phase they make a right muddle of VIN assignment, but once that is fulfilled then there won't be a need to assign you a VIN during manufacture / shipping, as it will become a much later "just in time" process.

But right now its not a good fit for purpose.

I wouldn't want a Dominos pizza "made for stock" :rolleyes:

a VIN and then it’s taken away from you

A VIN assigned? or one in Source Code? The source code ones, assigned early in the process, can be just junk - mine was wrong colour and wrong model, so I took it to be a place-holder only. An assigned VIN that is then taken away I think is more likely to be a car that has got damaged in transit ... but who knows, you might be right :)

As I understand it Tesla have changed from made-to-order, as they used to do with Model-S, to made-for stock. During this "backlog delivery" phase they make a right muddle of VIN assignment, but once that is fulfilled then there won't be a need to assign you a VIN during manufacture / shipping, as it will become a much later "just in time" process.

But right now its not a good fit for purpose.

I wouldn't want a Dominos pizza "made for stock" :rolleyes:

A VIN assigned? or one in Source Code? The source code ones, assigned early in the process, can be just junk - mine was wrong colour and wrong model, so I took it to be a place-holder only. An assigned VIN that is then taken away I think is more likely to be a car that has got damaged in transit ... but who knows, you might be right :)

Hi by having a VIN assigned then taken away I mean:

I received a Final Invoice 2 with a VIN on the invoices and a delivery date of Oct 9th vs Oct 16th on FI1. Called Tesla Edinburgh just incase I should be making payment (was hearing of others with Oct 9th getting end of Sept collection dates etc) and was told you now no longer have a VIN. Wait for us to reach out to you before paying and making travel arrangements, don’t hold out for the Oct9th date etc ....

• Love
Reactions: WannabeOwner
I changed my order from a MS Long range as my delivery date was the last week in November, I changed to the performance which I should be collecting from Stockport this week. But I have no VIN or confirmed collection date. Hope I did not upgrade for no reason.

I picked mine up at end of June quarter, when both the Model-3 and handover systems were brand new. They were doing 100 a day, and even as an existing owner and not particularly concerned given my experience with Tesla (eventually) sorting things out in the past, I found the experience slick and well done.

They took my car off a transporter 30 minutes before I got there and gave it a wash (I know that because when I wound windows down they came back up wet ...), so PDI was negligible (other than whatever was done at the port itself, whilst the cars are on charge after their voyage). There were three of us and we went round the car with fine toothcomb and found nothing.

Not heard of people being rushed so i think that would be unusual, and new Group Explanation approach enabled more people to be processed by existing staff (it would suit me, someone else might ask the question that didn't occur to me :) )

Take a (particularly pedantic!) friend along to do that whilst you are figuring things out inside the car?

But failing that, you could park-up outside, spend the time checking, and then photograph / document any flaws and point out to staff before you actually leave

Thanks, appreciate the response, that's really helpful - good tip on the pedantic friend too, have one in mind that'd be ideal for it!

Thanks, appreciate the response, that's really helpful - good tip on the pedantic friend too, have one in mind that'd be ideal for it!

They do group deliveries now. I had mine in Heathrow and there were chairs put out for about 30 people. Got told they do about 100/day now and towards the end they will do 200.

It wasn't rushed. Honestly all they do is connect your app and off you go. I had a few things wrong (reboot at home fixed the first issue) panel gaps were noted and I have a service appointment. White paint is perfect as far as I can tell - door jams seem to be a blind spot, but with white it's hard to tell.

Finally the car itself is fantastic. Even if i had to live with the panel issues i'd buy it again.

I literally pulled up to a red 2 seater Ferrari at Woking station today in my £40k cheapest Tesla and did not feel like I got a worse car...

Reactions: ME_UK