Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of quarter delivery date theory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla books revenue on delivery. Makes sense that they would want to deliver as many cars as possible before EOY. They want to get the cars off the trucks and into customer hands quickly as they have little storage and owners usually do not want their cars sitting outside, in unsecured parking lots in rain and snow either.
Tesla usually focuses on domestic deliveries near EOQ. After the Quarter (or year) ends they begin the process of shipping production out of the country to export locations. In the past, missing EOQ deliveries could put you out another couple of months for a replacement vehicle.
As Germany ramps up, perhaps this strategy will be revisited and deliveries world wide smooth out.
Texas production will take some of the pressure off everything coming from Fremont, but currently Tesla needs to get all their Fremont production delivered in a EOY rush.
Tesla has also mentioned that they simply cannot find enough transportation trains and carriers to handle these EOY and EOQ rushes. They hope to smooth out deliveries throughout the year into a smoother and consistant flow.
When lots of customers begin to manipulate their delivery dates at the last minute, that has got to make things difficult for the company.

Ordered a base Model Y in MSM on 2/1/2022 with a current EDD of 11/26 to 12/10. Our delivery date has been moving substantially every week now. And more specifically I notice the date changes are made Saturday mornings oddly.
i have the same configuration as yours and ordered in Feb. EDD went all over and at one point, it was March 2023 - Jun 2023. We just took delivery on M3RWD on 10/31 and we would like to take the delivery of MYLR next year to get the tax credit. However, if we can't, we will not refuse the delivery as the current price and price I locked is the wash with the tax credit. In fact, it will actually cost more because the tax is based on the current (higher) sales price.

My current EDD is 11/30 - 12/28 and prior than that, it was 12/6 - 12/31. Per the order, I could take delivery in 14 days (or 30? I will need to look at it again) since the first initial notification about scheduling the delivery. Hope we can plan out right.

This is very funny because I order my model Y Aug 2022 and my original date was Feb to April, but I just got the good news that my model Y will be available for delivery Dec 14 to Dec 31. Reading this post, people that order in April and May time frame also got the same delivery date. How can I jump all you guys, seems like the Fulton post is on to something here. Tesla is racking and stacking us to see who they can pond off a Tesla too to to the 2023 tax incentives. Good luck everyone. Imagine Tesla not being flexible to someone trying to delay a delivery date of Dec 25 to the 31 to save 7,500😂🤣

What was your process for getting a HOLD? I’m in a similar boat. Originally delivery window was Jan. 2023 to April 2023 and I just got an updated EDD this morning for late November. Just not sure what the right decision is.
I would also like to delay till 2023. But I have my car ready for delivery now. I have pushed out delivery few days, but hoping to get unmatched and put back in the queue hopefully for 2023!

This is very funny because I order my model Y Aug 2022 and my original date was Feb to April, but I just got the good news that my model Y will be available for delivery Dec 14 to Dec 31. Reading this post, people that order in April and May time frame also got the same delivery date. How can I jump all you guys, seems like the Fulton post is on to something here. Tesla is racking and stacking us to see who they can pond off a Tesla too to to the 2023 tax incentives. Good luck everyone. Imagine Tesla not being flexible to someone trying to delay a delivery date of Dec 25 to the 31 to save 7,500😂🤣
At least you can put your order on hold till Jan 2023 as your initial delivery date was Feb - apt 2023.