Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of quarter delivery date theory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a MYLR in May 2022, and currently have an EDD of Dec 29-31. No VIN.

My theory is that Tesla does not actually believe it will be able to manufacture my MYLR in 2022. Rather, they are anticipating cancellations of deliveries intended for other customers who won't accept a delivery in 2022, and have slotted me in to prepare me to be ready to purchase right before the end of the quarter.

My question for others who have previously had EDDs at the end of a quarter, but didn't actually take delivery before the end of the quarter - how long did you then ultimately have to wait to take delivery of your vehicle? I'm curious if not taking delivery at the end of 2022 might actually set my delivery back a month or two or more.

For the record, I'd take delivery today if available - I'm not interested in trying to delay for a tax credit of undetermined amount that I may or may not qualify for anyway.

I also ordered my LR Model Y in May of 2022. My delivery date now say December 2022. I also would take delivery today if they had my car available. This vehicle will be my blue Tesla model Y as my wife has the Red Model Y. I am also keeping my Yukon as a gas backup! I used up my tax credit on my my Chevrolet Volt in 2016.

I ordered a MYLR in May 2022, and currently have an EDD of Dec 29-31. No VIN.

My theory is that Tesla does not actually believe it will be able to manufacture my MYLR in 2022. Rather, they are anticipating cancellations of deliveries intended for other customers who won't accept a delivery in 2022, and have slotted me in to prepare me to be ready to purchase right before the end of the quarter.

My question for others who have previously had EDDs at the end of a quarter, but didn't actually take delivery before the end of the quarter - how long did you then ultimately have to wait to take delivery of your vehicle? I'm curious if not taking delivery at the end of 2022 might actually set my delivery back a month or two or more.

For the record, I'd take delivery today if available - I'm not interested in trying to delay for a tax credit of undetermined amount that I may or may not qualify for anyway.
I would agree with you. Tesla has kept EDD same for over 2 months now. This likely means that Tesla is expecting to receive atleast some Tax Credit and order cancelation for people who qualify; the reason for end of the year EDD.

I also ordered my LR Model Y in May of 2022. My delivery date now say December 2022. I also would take delivery today if they had my car available. This vehicle will be my blue Tesla model Y as my wife has the Red Model Y. I am also keeping my Yukon as a gas backup! I used up my tax credit on my my Chevrolet Volt in 2016.
When you say you "used up" tax credit in 2016... i don't think there are any limits ... it's one per car.. however many cars you can buy!!!
but I heard, starting 2023, it's 1 car/credit per 3 years.... along with all other criteria..

You don’t “use up” the tax credit. You can take it every year that you buy a qualifying vehicle, and now meet the other max income limits.

I honestly think it is all over the plate. I placed an order back in May. Date went all the way from August, Sept, all the way to Jan/Feb even only for it recoil back to Dec and then Nov. Last week it was showing Nov/Dec. Monday, I got a 2 weeks window. Yesterday I got a delivery date for Thursday with no chance to delay it and it is automatically set to home delivery (Without me choosing).

Honestly have no idea how one should plan aside from, be ready?

Reactions: acpd and KJD
Tesla just changed by EDD from Dec 29-31 to Dec 4-31.

I have an updated theory - they are going to notify me at the end of November. From my order agreement: "if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee." My configuration price has increased $6K since I ordered it, so they know it would not make sense for me to delay to try to get the tax credit.

Reactions: acpd
Tesla just changed by EDD from Dec 29-31 to Dec 4-31.

I have an updated theory - they are going to notify me at the end of November. From my order agreement: "if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee." My configuration price has increased $6K since I ordered it, so they know it would not make sense for me to delay to try to get the tax credit.
That is the only scenario that makes sense to me if this is all about the tax credits and people delaying till Jan. Giving people VINs for that last week of December doesn't help at all as everyone will be in their right to delay at least 7 days into January even with the latest rules.

The only other reasoning is Tesla wants everyone prepared for getting a VIN at end of December when they have to shuffle VINs from people delaying to people who aren't waiting for tax credit (ie don't qualify). This also ties into why the configuator still shows December as a potential delivery month even for people ordering in November....crazy considering most of us taking delivery right now waited 6-8months for MYLR. A few months ago people waited 3 months for MYP and now you can by an MYP off the shelf in inventory or order and get one within 1-2 weeks. In fact in a lot of locations you can buy a MYLR off the shelf in inventory.

Tesla just changed my wife's MY LR estimated delivery from December 26-December 31 to November 24-December 22. (Ordered on May 6, 2022.)

If the tax credit is reinstated for Tesla, is there a tax credit limit of one car per year or other period?
I heard that --- tax credit are effective 1/1/2023... and 1 car per 3 years.... PROVIDED.. (1) the car is eligible for credits country of assembly and componet/matrial sourcing.. AND (2) Individual is eligible for credits - income limits and tax owed etc..

i ordered MY LR7 20" wheels 9 Mar - EDD pushed from Sep ->Nov->Dec->Feb and now sits 12/16-12/31.
similar note, i received my M3 SR on 30 Sep--which delayed from original Jul EDD to mid Oct (they texted me that morning and only allowed delivery that day)

Yesterday my delivery date on my LR Blue Model Y with white interior was moved to December 31 to February 4th. I’m in no rush!

I took advantage of an early "only available this day" offer to pickup my Model X Plaid on June 30. At that time, it was scheduled for sometime in the August-October time frame. I got an email saying that there were several Model Xs available, one day only. I got the email when I had gone out to get some lunch and immediately drove to the Tesla place in Ft. Lauderdale (I'm in Boca Raton). They had about 5 MX (regular and Plaid) available and also a couple of MS. Drove home with it that afternoon. I assume they were trying to pump up their 2nd Quarter financial numbers. If you are in a hurry, be ready to take advantage of such an offer, and have the money or financing ready. Had the car now just over 4 months and love it, no problems with almost 6,000 miles on it so far.

A month or 6 weeks later I also got a similar offer for the order we have for my wife's MYP, but none of them had the white interior which is somehow important to my wife, so we declined taking early delivery.

I ordered March 1st. I'd like to delay until tax credit. I do have the lower price but it's pretty close to a wash vs. ordering now and getting the tax rebate starting January.
My EDD has also moved all over the place. I was able to delay it once. Now they're saying 12/1-31. I'm going to ask for it to be delayed until January but from this thread that is sounding very unlikely. Right now I'm leaning towards letting them cancel if they won't delay a few weeks. We're not in critical need of a car right now. Prices might drop if the recession hits and demand softens. Looks like demand has disappeared presumably people waiting for tax credit. Went from 7-8 month wait to them having inventory vehicles. Elon's tweet linking to heinous fabricated article about the victim of attempted murder doesn't help.
Of course it's also very possible prices may go up to compensate for the tax rebate. Hard to predict.

Reactions: wishForEV and ord3r
I ordered March 1st. I'd like to delay until tax credit. I do have the lower price but it's pretty close to a wash vs. ordering now and getting the tax rebate starting January.
My EDD has also moved all over the place. I was able to delay it once. Now they're saying 12/1-31. I'm going to ask for it to be delayed until January but from this thread that is sounding very unlikely. Right now I'm leaning towards letting them cancel if they won't delay a few weeks. We're not in critical need of a car right now. Prices might drop if the recession hits and demand softens. Looks like demand has disappeared presumably people waiting for tax credit. Went from 7-8 month wait to them having inventory vehicles. Elon's tweet linking to heinous fabricated article about the victim of attempted murder doesn't help.
Of course it's also very possible prices may go up to compensate for the tax rebate. Hard to predict.
What was your process for getting a HOLD? I’m in a similar boat. Originally delivery window was Jan. 2023 to April 2023 and I just got an updated EDD this morning for late November. Just not sure what the right decision is.

What was your process for getting a HOLD? I’m in a similar boat. Originally delivery window was Jan. 2023 to April 2023 and I just got an updated EDD this morning for late November. Just not sure what the right decision is.
I called multiple times and was told the only way was to refuse delivery and request a later date. It can only be done once. The later date may be pretty soon after. I’ve already used my one try. Painfully close to January.