Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of Quarter Order Game?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried to snag a discount by ordering a base model car that is not currently in inventory in your area but for which there is a similar, slightly upgraded version (e.g. wheels, interior, color) in stock near the end of quarter and got matched with the upgraded version for end of quarter delivery? If so, how did the process evolve?

How am I expected to buy a car and not wheel and deal?? :)

Has anyone tried to snag a discount by ordering a base model car that is not currently in inventory in your area but for which there is a similar, slightly upgraded version (e.g. wheels, interior, color) in stock near the end of quarter and got matched with the upgraded version for end of quarter delivery? If so, how did the process evolve?

How am I expected to buy a car and not wheel and deal?? :)

You would be much better served in making in person contact with someone at a tesla store location, and telling them that you are looking for X build car that has a discount attached to it due to being a demo, or some other reason.

Of course, then you have to take a car that is a demo car, or has a discount attached to it for some other reason.

Doing it the way you describe could work in theory, depending on teslas demand, etc, but if you dont actually WANT a "base model" version, then you would be canceling an order and losing $100 if they dont match you with a car.

Much better to be up front with someone in person, but also be ready to take a car with some miles on it to compensate for your "need" to get a car with a discount attached to it.

If its anything these boards have taught me about car buying, its that no matter what the process is, people will not like it. I personally love the fact that teslas sold all over the country on a specific day are the same price, and am ok with the fact that, 2 days after I buy a car, tesla might lower the price of all cars or throw in something.

For some reason, the same people who are OK with the fact that their neighbor who has better (or worse) negotiating skills than they do would get a different price on the exact same car, at the exact same dealership, get super upset that tesla might lower the price for everyone a month after they bought their car.

Anyway, thats a "soapbox" thing for me here on these boards.... so, sorry for the divergence from thread, OP I am not saying you are doing the above. Back on thread topic, better to be upfront with a sales advisor but also be willing to take a car with some miles or issues to get your desired discount.

It's quite simple.

www.tesla.com/model3/design, enter your credit card details, and ..... done.

Man I hate the entire traditional sales process. So much nicer online.

I was blown away by the process, specifically the speed using Tesla financing. They clearly have something worked out where it is completely credit score based and no underwriting is necessary for approval. I had an approved loan within 3 minutes.

Reactions: SlimJim
I would look through the local inventory on the website. If for example you were looking for an LR AWD in white but they don’t have any white cars, you could tell a local rep you want a white car and are ready for immediately delivery. If they can’t find one they might consider offering you another color option and waiving the color upgrade. But of course if they have the white one in stock you have no bargaining power.