Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of quarter push - quality control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know a lot of you (including me) have deliveries scheduled for this month. Is anyone else concerned that the pressure of the end of quarter push might sacrifice some quality?

Has anyone else gotten an end of quarter push Tesla before? (Model y, model 3)?

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
I got one on June 30 last year. The quality on all Teslas vary. Ir isn't so much that they are producing that many more vehicles the last month of the quarter. They are just trying to finalize and deliver everything in the supply chain, as now days they are all already sold. I believe those being built now almost in mid month are to fulfill orders close to the factory for logistical delivery reasons.

I just took delivery. You could consider this part of the EOQ push. It was nearly flawless minus a few minor things like debris, adhesive, and missing trunk pieces that others are also experiencing.

My write up in another thread linked below
Hi LR waiting room buddies, my seven month waiting journey (Feb-Sept) is now officially over.

My EDD change log was roughly: March -> Late March -> Blank (for months until the update email about a month ago) -> Sept 15-30 -> Sept 2-15 -> Sept 12-30 -> Sept 9

As soon as a VIN was assigned earlier this week (9/6ish), delivery was scheduled soon after.

I had a direct delivery even though I live in very close proximity to the Fremont factory. I felt bad for the delivery driver as he had to wait for an Uber to bring him back to the factory. I thought they would have delivered the vehicle via flatbed, but I arrived with 15 additional miles on the odometer. No big deal.

Overall the fit and finish was flawless. No discernible panel gaps. In fact, there wasn't much to say about the interior either!

A few things I did notice though:
  1. Missing mats and trunk covers
  2. Weird quiet whirring noise coming from the A/C system that happens intermittently
  3. Yoke has the weird worm looking thing but you can't feel it, only see it
  4. There's some leftover painters tape in the front passenger door that seems to be from the assembly process
  5. A lot of random debris on the floor
  6. I don't see a denting issue with my trunk catch flap that others are experiencing
  7. Some leftover adhesive lining the trunk panels
  8. And wow, Insane mode is... insane. I can't even imagine what Plaid is like.
  9. The yoke wasn't too difficult for me to get acclimated with. It is a bit awkward on turns but it's really not a big deal. I rarely use my horn so the new position really doesn't affect me.
  10. Turn signals and the drive selection change affects me more than the yoke. It is not as easy to disengage the turn signals as with a stalk.
  11. I already curb rashed a wheel... :oops:
Overall it is a well built car and a devilishly fast speed demon. Yes the wait is worth it but my god was that part of the experience terrible.

Best of luck to everyone else in line! Here's some pics.

View attachment 707443View attachment 707444

View attachment 707445View attachment 707446View attachment 707448View attachment 707449

Thanks for the comments/feedback. This will be my first Tesla and I’m certainly having some anxiety around the quality control issues I’ve seen around build quality. I have a 9/24-9/30 EDD right now and would gladly push it back if it were going to give them a chance to ensure a higher quality build but sounds like either way it’s luck of the draw at this point.

I took delivery this past June 29th. Below is the link to my review. It states what has gone wrong with the car. The SC has been good about it but parts shortages have been the largest hurdle in making it perfect.

The SC has chaotic but it is a smaller one compared to the west cost ones so it does not take much to make it that way. But even so, the SC paid detail to it and even came out to delivery it with a chamois to clear any additional finger prints off it.

I just picked up my MS LR 2 days ago on Sunday. It was perfect. It's been raining every day for weeks and they had all the new deliveries sitting out of the rain and perfectly detailed with no water spots and no paint swirls. No faults in the car quality or paint quality, no worm issue in the yoke. As others have mentioned it was missing the mats, the cargo cover and cargo floor cover (which will be sent to me later). I wasn't rushed at all and could inspect it as long as I liked, but it's not quite the end of the month yet.