Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of Speed Limit - NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t see this much out of state, but in NY, every time a slow zone goes back to the state standard 55 miles per hour, the speed limit sign says “End of 35mph” or 40 or whatever the speed limit WAS. The car sees the speed limit sign as 35, not 55. The problem is this is almost always for 2 lane non divided roads, and Tesla AP limits to 5 miles over. This was NOT a problem when the data was from mapping, but since the change to visual speed limit detection, it’s almost always wrong. This is a problem in areas like route 22 in NY, where the speed is 55 with frequent 40 zones. It effectively means one cannot use AP for stretches as log as 10 miles at a time. I do this you’re weekly and it’s starting to be quite aggravating.

I was hoping this would be rectified in a recent release but to date, nothing. I’m in a 2018 X with up to date software.

Anyone else experience this? Ideas on how to get Tesla to fix? I am assuming CA doesn’t have these stupid signs so hey don’t experience the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: MrWattson
Yeah, our school speed limits are signed - "30kph Mon-Fri 7:00AM to 5:30PM Sept-June"
The "30" is recognized by the Tesla as a valid speed limit sign any time, but the end of school zones has a yellow sign containing a miniature white "30" sign and underneath in the yellow, the word "ENDS" - which of course the car does not recognize.

Yeah, our school speed limits are signed - "30kph Mon-Fri 7:00AM to 5:30PM Sept-June"
The "30" is recognized by the Tesla as a valid speed limit sign any time, but the end of school zones has a yellow sign containing a miniature white "30" sign and underneath in the yellow, the word "ENDS" - which of course the car does not recognize.

Better than "X mph/kph when school is in session", because how the F should I know if school is in session?

Same problem in MI except there often isn't even a sign to say the speed zone ended, we just know if you haven't seen a speed limit sign in a while it's 55mph. I am really puzzled by why tesla has decided to make the default speed limit 45 when there is no speed limit data instead of 55 which is the national speed limit. So many roads around me are the default 55 and I can't use autopilot because it limits me to 50.

Maybe if they could just have a system similar to Waze. I used to be an active area manager on there and like many others would fix issues on the map, either things we saw or things people reported. I understand when you are dealing with a car that's "driving" and controlling the speed there would need to be some kind of verification but I think they could quickly get the maps and speed limit issues sorted as so many people are willing to help. Imagine reporting that your new subdivision isnt on the maps and the next day you get in your car and the entire sub is built out or your car was limiting you to 45 because it had no speed limit data and you report it and the next day on your drive to work you can use AP because it now shows 55mph.

The car knows what the speed limit is at all times. It knows this because it knows what the speed limit isn't, by subtracting what it is, from what it isn't, or what it isn't, from what it is, whichever is greater, it obtains a difference, or deviation. The guidance sub-system uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the car from a speed where it is, to a speed where it isn't, and arriving at a velocity where it wasn't, it now is. Consequently, the speed where it is, is now the speed that it wasn't, and it follows that the speed where it was, is now the speed that it isn't. In the event that the velocity it is at is not the velocity that it wasn't, the vehicle has developed a variation. The variation being the difference between what the speed limit is, and what it wasn't. If variation is considered to be a significant factor, it too, may be corrected by the GEA. However, the vehicle must also know where it was. The vehicle guidance computance scenario works as follows: Because a variation has modified some of the information the vehicle has obtained, it is not sure just what the speed limit is, however it is sure what it isn't, within reason, and it knows what it was. It now subtracts what it should be, from what it wasn't, or vice versa. By differentiating this from the algebraic sum of what it shouldn't be, and what it was. It is able to obtain a deviation, and a variation, which is called "five over.”

Reactions: JHCCAZ
This is still annoying and newer software releases have not fixed the problem. Every time I come home, I have to turn autopilot off, because it won't go above 45 mph after seeing an "End 40 mile speed limit sign". Before Tesla started reading road signs the system performed well. I can't seem to find an option to turn off reading speed limits and to just use GPS info.

This is still annoying and newer software releases have not fixed the problem. Every time I come home, I have to turn autopilot off, because it won't go above 45 mph after seeing an "End 40 mile speed limit sign". Before Tesla started reading road signs the system performed well. I can't seem to find an option to turn off reading speed limits and to just use GPS info.
If the sign only happens once, and the problem really bothers you...
Some kind of cardboard square on a stick out the sunroof or window to block the cameras for a few seconds.

I'm actually half serious. I do carry a 2m extendable pointer in the car to press "bike-friendly" cross buttons for our annoying pedestrian-controlled intersections in Vancouver. Otherwise I have to get out of the car or wait ages for the darn light to turn. With the stick the light changes right away. (I like dumb ideas that work)