Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of warranty checks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My LR RWD is at 44,300miles and heading towards the end of warranty. After a lot of problems at the beginning of ownership it has been rock solid. As the warranty draws to a close I am looking at seeing what small things I should get attended to while I can. I recently had the AC investigated as it never seemed to quite blow right and indeed they finally replaced some actuators and now it's working properly. I also asked them to look at the driver's window which often won't close, they did not fix this as they said it was working as intended (I say it's overly sensitive to bumps). I am wondering what other small common issues and annoyances I should maybe look for. There is nothing particularly obvious (other than the rattling seatbelt tensioner) but maybe you have suggestions of things less noticeable to check. 12V battery was last replaced about 3 years ago.

I recently had the AC investigated as it never seemed to quite blow right and indeed they finally replaced some actuators and now it's working properly.
Do you have the description on the invoice for what was done here? I also have a 2018 LR RWD and I noticed a vibration/rattle coming from inside the vent on rough surfaces that sounds like it is coming from the actuators.

Like you, I had so many service visits in the first year that it's hard to remember everything but a few I can think of:
  • Check undercarriage cover. (2017/2018) versions were susceptible to ripping when wet and they replaced mine with the B- part revision
  • Had both a headlight and tailight replaced due to condensation buildup
  • Trunk lid filled with water during heavy rain and they had to seal it
  • Front drive/passenger door check straps replaced - creaked/clicked when opening doors
  • Turn signal stalk replaced due to trim coming off and turn signals not always activating consistently
  • Glove box replaced- wouldn't stay closed
  • Front control arms replaced - creaking when going over bumps/turning (very common issue that they are aware of)

Do you have the description on the invoice for what was done here? I also have a 2018 LR RWD and I noticed a vibration/rattle coming from inside the vent on rough surfaces that sounds like it is coming from the actuators.

Like you, I had so many service visits in the first year that it's hard to remember everything but a few I can think of:
  • Check undercarriage cover. (2017/2018) versions were susceptible to ripping when wet and they replaced mine with the B- part revision
  • Had both a headlight and tailight replaced due to condensation buildup
  • Trunk lid filled with water during heavy rain and they had to seal it
  • Front drive/passenger door check straps replaced - creaked/clicked when opening doors
  • Turn signal stalk replaced due to trim coming off and turn signals not always activating consistently
  • Glove box replaced- wouldn't stay closed
  • Front control arms replaced - creaking when going over bumps/turning (very common issue that they are aware of)

Also curious. I just started hearing a similar noise in the vent in the last two days. It is to the left side of the steering wheel.

Regarding the AC. I took it in because there was clearly little to no air coming through in the centred position on the drivers side. You could feel with your hand air coming out the sides but not in the centre. Passenger side was fine. I found that every time I entered the car I could hear a chorus of hissing, sighing, clunking and shhing from the vents (actuators probably not working). First visit to SC they took a look and said they found nothing. (I suspect they didn't really bother). When I returned and threatened to not give them a 5* review and also showed them my air flow tool (a ruler with strips of paper taped to it) you could clearly see a "hole" in the airflow. They replaced the actuators (they had said were fine on the first visit) and now it's all working great.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
Many of the early issues with the car (the trunk seals, condensation) etc. were fixed when I had the car rebuilt by Tesla early on due to a wiring fault deep inside. haven't had any problems like the glovebox etc. The control arms worry my but I don't hear any clunking sounds, not sure if these would be covered by the longer warranty or if I could proactively have them take a look (I guess I could just say I hear a clunking sound). The charge port door is always annoyingly not flushed but I don't think they will fix that again (they changed it one time and it fit perfectly but then had to replace it again). It does stay open or not open from time to time but nothing very reproducible.

I am not aware of them ever sealing them or doing any other work on them. My car is something of a unicorn in that it didn't get kind of rebuilt early in it's life after suffering a charging issue that involved them tearing out much of the wiring at one point. I suspect they fixed a bunch of small other common issues like missing bolts, trunk trims etc.

Regarding the AC. I took it in because there was clearly little to no air coming through in the centred position on the drivers side. You could feel with your hand air coming out the sides but not in the centre. Passenger side was fine. I found that every time I entered the car I could hear a chorus of hissing, sighing, clunking and shhing from the vents (actuators probably not working). First visit to SC they took a look and said they found nothing. (I suspect they didn't really bother). When I returned and threatened to not give them a 5* review and also showed them my air flow tool (a ruler with strips of paper taped to it) you could clearly see a "hole" in the airflow. They replaced the actuators (they had said were fine on the first visit) and now it's all working great.

Not sure if this is similar, but about a week ago when I got in the car there was little to no air flowing (and it was a hot day). Climate was set to "Auto" but the fan never changed speeds (stayed at "3"... I manually changed it). This lasted about two days, it seems to be fine now... but the weather has moderated a bit so it's hard to tell.

Ironically, I left it parked outside as I was test-driving a Model Y and that a/c was blasting.

Taking my car in for service tomorrow to replace the PCS (power conversion system). Make sure you test AC charging at 40A or higher before your 4 year warranty runs out. The PCS consists of three 16A circuits which can independently burn out. I've heard of people have one or all three go out shortly outside of warranty and it is a $1k+ fix. The only way to know if there is an issue is to try to charge at 40A or higher and see if the charging is limited to some lower multiple of 16A. You will get an error in the car within a minute or so of plugging in and unfortunately that error doesn't seem to show up in the mobile app or later once you go to unplug. I only noticed it because i plugged in while cleaning the interior of my car so i happened to be sitting it in when it popped up.